Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 AM

83 posts, read 75,616 times

Advertisements

Hello. I was wondering what all the locals on this site think of the rail system in Phoenix. The last time I was visiting, I saw it at the airport and it looked fun and interesting. We don't have anything like that where I live (not even a bus system) and was wondering if the rail has worked out well for your city.

I am from a really small town in the north/Midwest and am curious about this area for a possible relocate/retire city.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
Its ridership has exceeded expectations, there have been two extensions, and more are in the works. For the most part it is quite popular, although there are plenty of people who will always oppose rail systems, some of whom will post here any minute now. I live within walking distance of a rail stop and use it a lot.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
It has been good for people that live in proximity to the rail stations. I have not had a need for it.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:07 AM

189 posts, read 230,683 times
We also live near it and absolutely love it. Bars/restaurants are a light-rail ride away, it not within walking distance. Plus we can hop onto light rail to watch ASU-related sporting events. Not to mention, it has acted as a catalyst for economic/developmental growth in midtown/downtown Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
It has been good for people that live in proximity to the rail stations. I have not had a need for it.
I think this is the key. It's great for those that live near it. I don't so I don't use it much.

I can say that it is good for such events as Diamondbacks games or other downtown events where parking is a hassle. There are Park & Ride lots for this reason.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:16 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
I live in the outskirts/suburbs of Phoenix and found the light rail convenient to avoid downtown parking, traffic during events, etc. when I go to see a concert or something downtown. Otherwise, I don't use the light rail/don't use it very often. Though to take the light rail, I have to park my car in a ride/park light rail lot to catch the light rail so it's not as nice as catching the light rail directly. I think it's most useful for people who live within walking distance of it which translates that for the vast majority of people who live in the Phoenix metro, it's unavailable in its most convenient form.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:17 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,446,240 times
I'm sharing my personal reflections in response to the OP's question without any illusions of convincing those who will always oppose light rail. The debate over light rail is settled as far as I'm concerned, although there should be lively discussions about future routes.

It has worked out well for my commute to work and was one of several factors that allowed my family to consolidate from two cars to one. It has also encouraged me to rediscover the urban cores of Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa, finding interesting places I might not have otherwise known about in the process. It's definitely better than riding a bus, although buses are still a vital part of our transit system and an essential complement to rail.

That said, there are areas for improvement. The frequency during peak hours needs to be upgraded from the current 12-minute headways to 10 minutes or better between trains. There should be more three-car trains (most are now two cars) to relieve crowding. There has been more fare enforcement lately. I'd like to see equal attention to enforcement of the rules about passenger behavior (e.g. people taking up multiple seats or bringing non-service dogs on board.)

The biggest issue, however, is the prospects for future expansion. Phoenix voters said yes to an ambitious expansion plan in 2015, but if federal transit funding is reduced, that could slow expansion. While only local revenues fund transit operations, some federal funds are typically involved in capital projects. On the other hand, a major infrastructure program might help expansion efforts. Current plans call for lines extending south and west from Downtown Phoenix. A north-south line along Scottsdale Road would be a popular and logical route, but Scottsdale continues to resist all efforts to build rail within its borders, so that particular expansion is unlikely to occur.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:07 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,075,471 times
I think it's a great success, especially with the Sky Train extension. It's clean, and pretty efficient. That said, it's effectiveness is still pretty limited for now due to a lack of routes. They did a good job with the initial planning, though. It manages to extend to many of the most popular attractions and employment centers in town. If they can ever extend a line to Old Town Scottsdale that would be huge. Not only in increasing ridership but for reducing DUI's and associated incidents on the weekends. Too bad I don't think Scottsdale will ever allow it - at least not anytime soon.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:16 PM

169 posts, read 281,181 times
The light rail itself is fantastic. It's the other passengers that are the problem. Bums, junkies, and the other dregs of society ride it all day long, from one end to the other, because they've nothing else to do and it keeps them out of the sun. It's not politically correct to say this but we all know it's true. Many decent, working people do not feel comfortable sitting beside a mentally-ill homeless man trying to fall asleep on their shoulder.

It's a shame because I'm a big proponent of light rail and public transport in general. A more expensive first class carriage could be a solution but the bleeding-heart liberals would cry about "discwimination" or some such nonsense.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 PM

445 posts, read 515,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I think this is the key. It's great for those that live near it.
This is very true. While the initial planning did a great job of maximizing the people and areas that a single line could serve, it still is only a single line. I live couple blocks from a light rail stop, so I'll use it almost any time I go downtown or to downtown Tempe. But most of where I need to go (including work) isn't near the line, so that limits the amount of use I get out of it. For people who don't live in close proximity to a stop, it isn't very convenient at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
The light rail itself is fantastic. It's the other passengers that are the problem. Bums, junkies, and the other dregs of society ride it all day long, from one end to the other, because they've nothing else to do and it keeps them out of the sun. It's not politically correct to say this but we all know it's true. Many decent, working people do not feel comfortable sitting beside a mentally-ill homeless man trying to fall asleep on their shoulder.

It's a shame because I'm a big proponent of light rail and public transport in general. A more expensive first class carriage could be a solution but the bleeding-heart liberals would cry about "discwimination" or some such nonsense.
This is unfortunately somewhat valid. I took public transportation just about all my life before moving out here, and you'll encounter a certain amount of homeless people and drug addicts camping out and acting out on any urban bus or train line regardless of which city it's in. But either I'm getting crankier as I age or it seems like there's more tweakers on the light rail in Phoenix than elsewhere. That said, most of the time they aren't bothering anyone and it certainly isn't unsafe. I'm sure it takes some people outside their comfort zone, but it isn't like the problem is so bad that it should prevent people from using the light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area