Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:50 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Its ridership has exceeded expectations, there have been two extensions, and more are in the works. For the most part it is quite popular, although there are plenty of people who will always oppose rail systems, some of whom will post here any minute now. I live within walking distance of a rail stop and use it a lot.
The opposition has become relatively silent lately because those people know how successful both light rail and the skytrain have been, they just don't want to admit they were wrong.

My only complaint is it's limited to central Phoenix and a part of east valley, it should be expanded to the west valley sooner than later where I'm sure ridership will exceed any and all predictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 08:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
The light rail itself is fantastic. It's the other passengers that are the problem. Bums, junkies, and the other dregs of society ride it all day long, from one end to the other, because they've nothing else to do and it keeps them out of the sun. It's not politically correct to say this but we all know it's true. Many decent, working people do not feel comfortable sitting beside a mentally-ill homeless man trying to fall asleep on their shoulder.

It's a shame because I'm a big proponent of light rail and public transport in general. A more expensive first class carriage could be a solution but the bleeding-heart liberals would cry about "discwimination" or some such nonsense.

You make it sound like there are so many of those folks that there's no place for "decent working people" to sit. I've ridden it during commuting hours, mid day, evening and late night, and never had that problem myself or seen so many of those passengers on a train that it was an issue for anyone else. Sure, there are such passengers, but not in large numbers and not always.

It is pretty handy that I can, if need be, get to the airport from either my office or my house entirely with mass transit and a bit of walking.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
It's of no use to me as I'd have to drive to Tempe to get on and can make it downtown in half the time by car. I am likely the minority among my fellow residents, but I'd love to see it connect from Mill Ave. to Old Town.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:12 AM

83 posts, read 75,736 times
Thank you for the positive feedback. I would do the same if I had a rail. Their was a big fight for one in my state a few years ago, but it got axed. It was a bummer.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:13 AM

Wow. Thanks for the good news. That sounds wonderful for your city.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:14 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,739,321 times
We take it quite a bit, not everyday like some people do. But I'm always happy and willing to support additional mass transit options knowing that even as a non-daily user it's still of benefit both directly, when I want to use it for certain events, and also indirectly through the economic development the system has spurred.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:15 AM

Thank you for the positive response.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the honest response. I wonder if more people in your position want more stops etc, it will become more popular and accessible?

Old 02-10-2017, 07:20 AM

Thank you for the thoughtful response and information. I hope the light rail expands and improves in the future. I would use it if I lived there.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I saw the train at Sky Harbor and it looked so fun! Too bad about Scottsdale...why wouldn't they want a route there? I visited there on my last trip, and it was very congested and crowded in the streets. I would think public transport would be great for tourism there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area