Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:43 PM

10 posts, read 14,718 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I'm contemplating a move to Phoenix this August, more specifically Scottsdale, Mesa area. I'm a male in my early thirties, and one thing that is at the top of my list, that makes a certain place great or not, is actually not "the weather, the roads or the parks or the Schools" in the area...it's the people.
It's the people that give a certain energy to a place and make it what it is, and it's something you can't tell by looking at pictures or watching youtube videos, or monitoring the weather. I'm wondering if you could share your characterizations and generalizations on what people in the Phoenix area are like, and what I can encounter, which of course are only generalizations. However, often times they are not groundless.
For example, Miami seemed like a place full of adventurers and interesting people to me, until I got there and found out it's trashy as hell with it's anti intellectual aura and a lack of interesting people. Chicago seemed very modern and sophisticated in a good sense, until I got there and realised that the people are a bunch of brain dead, self-hating liberals(subjectively of course).
I'm not so much interested to know how "nice" or "not nice" the people are, I find that characterization somewhat useless. The best people I've met are not nice, lol, and some of the worst people walk with a smile. I'm more interested to know how intellectual or anti intellectual the people are, creative or dull, full of douchebags or social justice warriors? Are the women open minded, stuck up, suspicious, daring, trashy, nerdy? Is it cliquish overall there? Is it sophisticated or do the people have that innate rural feel, do they lack perspective in life or are there a lot of free thinkers out there who just chose to escape the modern insanity? How fake are the people, how straightforward are they? Are there any young, interesting people at all, or is basically Florida #2 with a bunch of retirees?
So basically, I thought if some of you could share your philosophical input on the issue, it would be extremely interesting. Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
"Scottsdale, Mesa area" isn't really an area. They are actually 2 very distinct suburbs here.

I don't generalize people based on a zip code, so I can't help you with the rest. Every city is going to have a wide range of personality types.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 AM

505 posts, read 583,539 times
I am also interested in hearing responses. I currently reside in white-trash-loser-druggie capital, Las Vegas and am considering Phoenix. I've visited Phoenix, Mesa, Gilbert, Fountain Hills, Scottsdale and Chandler on five different occasions.

During the day, while house hunting and going out for lunch in Chandler/Mesa I saw nothing but elderly 65+. It kind of concerned me, being a 30 something. Fountain Hills, I saw more families at the park.

When I crossed into Scottsdale, the vibe automatically changed to snotty, arrogance by BMW drivers cutting you off and people's noses up in the air. Our realtor said it's referred to as Snottsdale. Again lots and lots of elderly inside Costco and restaurants.

I've also seen a lot of white trash there too. (Obese, cigarette smoking, tattoos, 5+ kids, yelling, loud, obnoxious.) The times I've been to the Marqus venue and a few others, I had a good time and the people were nice. I also found the people nicer on the freeways, always letting me on.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
I am also interested in hearing responses. I currently reside in white-trash-loser-druggie capital, Las Vegas and am considering Phoenix. I've visited Phoenix, Mesa, Gilbert, Fountain Hills, Scottsdale and Chandler on five different occasions.

During the day, while house hunting and going out for lunch in Chandler/Mesa I saw nothing but elderly 65+. It kind of concerned me, being a 30 something. Fountain Hills, I saw more families at the park.

When I crossed into Scottsdale, the vibe automatically changed to snotty, arrogance by BMW drivers cutting you off and people's noses up in the air. Our realtor said it's referred to as Snottsdale. Again lots and lots of elderly inside Costco and restaurants.

I've also seen a lot of white trash there too. (Obese, cigarette smoking, tattoos, 5+ kids, yelling, loud, obnoxious.) The times I've been to the Marqus venue and a few others, I had a good time and the people were nice. I also found the people nicer on the freeways, always letting me on.
First, shame on your realtor for perpetuating stereotypes. And secondly, I have never encountered anything like that when I go to Scottsdale. It is a wealthier suburb for the most part so you will see more high end vehicles, but to say the pace changes the second you cross the city limits is ridiculous. Calling it Snottsdale puts that image in your mind, and can change your perception.

Phoenix (as is Las Vegas) is a big retirement city, and also a mecca for snowbirds, so you will see elderly everywhere, more often in the fall and winter.

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1985 View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm contemplating a move to Phoenix this August, more specifically Scottsdale, Mesa area. I'm a male in my early thirties, and one thing that is at the top of my list, that makes a certain place great or not, is actually not "the weather, the roads or the parks or the Schools" in the area...it's the people.
It's the people that give a certain energy to a place and make it what it is, and it's something you can't tell by looking at pictures or watching youtube videos, or monitoring the weather. I'm wondering if you could share your characterizations and generalizations on what people in the Phoenix area are like, and what I can encounter, which of course are only generalizations. However, often times they are not groundless.
For example, Miami seemed like a place full of adventurers and interesting people to me, until I got there and found out it's trashy as hell with it's anti intellectual aura and a lack of interesting people. Chicago seemed very modern and sophisticated in a good sense, until I got there and realised that the people are a bunch of brain dead, self-hating liberals(subjectively of course).
I'm not so much interested to know how "nice" or "not nice" the people are, I find that characterization somewhat useless. The best people I've met are not nice, lol, and some of the worst people walk with a smile. I'm more interested to know how intellectual or anti intellectual the people are, creative or dull, full of douchebags or social justice warriors? Are the women open minded, stuck up, suspicious, daring, trashy, nerdy? Is it cliquish overall there? Is it sophisticated or do the people have that innate rural feel, do they lack perspective in life or are there a lot of free thinkers out there who just chose to escape the modern insanity? How fake are the people, how straightforward are they? Are there any young, interesting people at all, or is basically Florida #2 with a bunch of retirees?
So basically, I thought if some of you could share your philosophical input on the issue, it would be extremely interesting. Thank you very much in advance.
I hate to burst your bubble, homie, but a HUGE chunk of the PHX population are Chicagoans. Outside of Californians, Chicagoans make up the biggest group. Overall the women here (where I'm at in Scottsdale) are generally stuck up. Of course not the whole city is like that, but it isn't called "Snottsdale" or "Snobsdale" for a reason. Its a very wealthy area and the whole fake boobs/Botox lips/butt implant scene is quite large here. I think it would be the ultimate nightmare for you.

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post

Nicer areas of North Phoenix would be better for you, but sorry to tell you there is trash/gang activity there too.

There are a lot of cool people your age in Snottsdale. I LOVE Snottsdale.

I have no use for Phoenix metroplex. I thought eveyone not elderly must be on drugs. Then I decided the sun baked their brains. I guess it's a mixture of both. Smart people avoid the sun in the worst part of the day - you won't meet them out and about. They are inside their offices or somewhere else safe with shade and a/c!

Homeless people about as they do everywhere lacking harsh winters. Good luck! Bleh. Ick. ew. Snottsdale is the only oasis in that nightmare. But I do have friends in N. Phoenix. They liked it /shrug.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:42 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
First, shame on your realtor for perpetuating stereotypes. And secondly, I have never encountered anything like that when I go to Scottsdale. It is a wealthier suburb for the most part so you will see more high end vehicles, but to say the pace changes the second you cross the city limits is ridiculous. Calling it Snottsdale puts that image in your mind, and can change your perception.
Ask yourself "why do stereotypes exist"?

I live in the heart of Scottsdale, and more times than I can count I've seen the most snobby people you can imagine. Rude, showy, ignorant bastards are all over Scottsdale. Its the nature of the beast I guess. More than once Ive been mortified by the actions of some of the residents when I have guests in town. There are TONS of stuck up pricks in Scottsdale. Is the whole city like that? Of course not. But the snobbishness most certainly exists and its most certainly very prevalent. The whole bad reputation that BMW drivers are douchebags was probably coined in Scottsdale. LOL I see it all the time, and I have to calm myself as to not spur on my rampant road rage problem.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:42 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Nathan and 7freak,

I'm not sure you'll ever find what your "looking" for......

Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM

555 posts, read 861,425 times
Total BS calling Scottsdale 'snobsdale'. I've been here 8 years in the heart of old town and have not seen the snobby types here more than any other place (having lived in Chicago area and El Paso). I guess if you hang out with that type of crowd, you will experience that more often. Have an open mind and don't listen to these people. Scottsdale is a great affordable place to live. Get out and experience it instead of hanging out on this forum

Old 05-12-2017, 09:23 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
New poster, asking inflammatory questions with his first post. Hmmm... This one shouldn't be around long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area