Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 AM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
If there is a top 100 list of best posts, the above should be in it. I have a question though when you write "be candid and say you want to hire the subs." How would a paint retailer know the subs vs the direct employees of XYZ paint contractor? Wouldn't most paint retailers recommend the paint contracting company as a whole? Also, is there a difference in the kind of recommendations you might receive from a paint retailer in a higher income neighborhood vs a lower income one?
Hi Happs. I'm glad you liked my post. I'm tend on researching topics thoroughly. Painting was just one more topic.

Generally, the boss (subcontractor owner) is the guy doing the bidding and paint buying. If he has a crew, he generally manages the jobs and doesn't physically paint any longer. Therefore, the retailer like Sherwin Williams (in my case) is going to know which contractor is the volume buyer, who does great work, and uses the best paints. But I asked each of these questions in person. I stressed how I wanted the best paint job without shortcuts. By me asking who gets the best volume pricing on the good stuff, they also figured out I'm allergic to overpaying.

Also, I would use the same technique in Surprise or Scottsdale. You might have to call a few different paint stores to assemble a good group of possible subs. I suspect each big brand pain supplier has their "great paints". Subs are biased. They try and talk you into their brand of choice. I've concluded in reality, deep down they try steering you to THEIR paint because they have better pricing (not because Benjamin Moore for instance is inferior that say, Sherwin Williams).

Finding good subs takes time sifting. But it is worth the research for something like painting in AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area