Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 16,369 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are Canadian snowbirds looking to purchase a home in San Tan Valley. We are concerned about the subdivisions that are under the flight path for Williams Gateway Airport. The subdivisions we are looking at are the ones south of E. Pima Road and to the east of N. Ironwood/Gantzel Road. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we would like to end up in a subdivision where a lot of residents are in our age group (55+). Any information on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
It will mostly be small airplanes, but if you don't like airplane noise, it's not the place for you.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,906 times
We just bought a home southeast of the airport with the "understanding" that the home was way south of the runway flight path. However, we found out after moving here that there is a substantial presence of military training here and that they fly directly over our home because they do there exercises away from that runway but in the same area.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:35 AM

576 posts, read 831,016 times
Yes, I would think in that area, you would hear most of the air traffic. Keep in mind also that Allegiant is adding more flights in and out of Mesa all the time. There has also been quite a bit of scuttle recently about another commercial airline to be added soon, although no official confirmation yet.

Having said all that, I live in Sun City West and the F-16's and F-35's from Luke AFB are flying over sometimes several times a day.... I barely notice them anymore.

But if this is something that is going to bother you, I would look in some other areas. I don't think there are any strictly 55+ communities in STV, but maybe there is. At least when I was originally looking in that area 3 years ago, my realtor never mentioned it. Not sure what parts, but STV has had a lot of problems with sewer backups, so you may want to make sure you are not buying in an area that had problems with that. Last I heard, the homeowners were not getting any satisfactory resolution to the problem.... Maybe that is old news and has been resolved, but good to verify.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:57 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Why not just look for a home which isn't near the airport I hear this story so many times where someone buys a home near an airport or air force base then after a few years something changes at the airport now it has become a big problem.

I grew up in California near John Wayne airport in the 70's and by 1990 everyone around it was in an uproar about the noise after they built the new terminal and added a lot more flights those people were wealthy they could hire attorneys and got their friends in washington to do something now the airlines are required to throttle back after take off which if one ever lost both engines like a bird strike such as Sullenberger landing in the hudson I'm not sure it would work out the same how they level their climb and throttle back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area