Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 AM

22 posts, read 35,009 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm overseeing a move that will take place in a few months. I need to help my family transition as smoothly as possible.

My mother and two of my siblings will be moving to Glendale and she will begin looking for work in the area when she gets there. The reason they will be moving to Glendale is because we have family in the area, and they'd be a big help in getting to know the town and life in Phoenix while my Mom looks for a job. Once she finds a job, she'll move accordingly (I've seen people suggest that on here, find work and then move closer to work).

They'll be moving from Burke, Virginia, which is one of the safest parts of the US. We can walk around late at night in this area without fear of anything happening. I could fall asleep on a public bench and wake up with my wallet still in my pocket. There's virtually no violent crime here, and very little (almost none) in the way of theft. I've read several articles on these forums that suggest it'll be a major culture shock for anyone that isn't used to cars and homes being broken into when one moves to the Glendale area. So while they're likely to stay in the Glendale area (at least for the foreseeable future), I'd like to find some specific suggestions for streets, or even specific apartment complexes, that you guys would say are safe. I've read some articles suggesting Peoria and Arrowhead are very nice, and I've looked into some of those areas. Since people usually want to know specific streets/neighborhoods, I'll list the ones I've seen that look affordable. Please let me know what you guys think of these areas.

14300 N. 83rd Avenue

9680 West Olive

8940 W Olive Ave

9680 W Northern Ave, Peoria

8092 W Paradise Ln, Peoria

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Advice: Lock your car, don't leave any visible valuables in your car. Lock the doors to your home at night. Don't fall asleep on a park bench. Property crimes are a reality and they are going to happen, takes steps to make it more inconvenient to rob you and the thief will move on to a more accessible target...maybe.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 AM

576 posts, read 832,090 times
#1: 14300 N. 83rd Avenue - What a coincidence! I just drove by this complex yesterday and was thinking how nice it looked. Of course, looks can be deceiving. But generally speaking, this is a good neighborhood. Close to great shopping and restaurants and easy access to the 101. About the only downside I see is noise from the 101.

#2: 9680 West Olive - Not quite as good as the first option. A little more isolated and not quite as good of a neighborhood, although probably not bad.

#3: 8940 W Olive Ave - About the same as the second option, but more convenient. Still not as good as #1.

#4: 9680 W Northern Ave, Peoria - A good location. Very convenient and has lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. It's probably isolated well enough that crime would not be a big factor.

#5: 8092 W Paradise Ln, Peoria - Another convenient location, but could be very congested especially during spring training and could have more crime because of it's close location to lots of shopping and being a little more hidden.

After writing the above, I took a real quick look at crimereports.com, and weighing all the options, I like #1 and #4 the best. I don't think any of them would be horrible, so I would suggest if crime is important that you take a close look at crimereports.com and factor that in along with rent prices to help in the decision making process.

As KurtAZ said, you can do several simple things to make yourself less of a target - no visible valuables in the car, keep the car and apt doors locked, get a simple car alarm that has a flashing light to warn off potential thieves, and drive a car that car thieves do not want.

If you can afford it, don't get the cheapest apt. Quality of tenants usually increases with the rent price!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
I say the one on 83rd. Close to many things. Nice area. If she likes baseball she will be near spring training for 2 teams.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:37 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Advice: Lock your car, don't leave any visible valuables in your car. Lock the doors to your home at night. Don't fall asleep on a park bench. Property crimes are a reality and they are going to happen, takes steps to make it more inconvenient to rob you and the thief will move on to a more accessible target...maybe.
This advice can be for anywhere in the valley.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:29 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Yup...OP is looking to move to one of the largest Metros in the country. Don't care where you are looking to live, the days of sleeping with your doors unlocked are long gone.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Or country. Or world.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Do you have any specific advice on how they can make their home safer? Are there any proven (more or less anyway) methods to ensuring people won't break in? Should we look into gated communities?

Old 08-02-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
#1: 14300 N. 83rd Avenue - What a coincidence! I just drove by this complex yesterday and was thinking how nice it looked. Of course, looks can be deceiving. But generally speaking, this is a good neighborhood. Close to great shopping and restaurants and easy access to the 101. About the only downside I see is noise from the 101.

#2: 9680 West Olive - Not quite as good as the first option. A little more isolated and not quite as good of a neighborhood, although probably not bad.

#3: 8940 W Olive Ave - About the same as the second option, but more convenient. Still not as good as #1.

#4: 9680 W Northern Ave, Peoria - A good location. Very convenient and has lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. It's probably isolated well enough that crime would not be a big factor.

#5: 8092 W Paradise Ln, Peoria - Another convenient location, but could be very congested especially during spring training and could have more crime because of it's close location to lots of shopping and being a little more hidden.

After writing the above, I took a real quick look at crimereports.com, and weighing all the options, I like #1 and #4 the best. I don't think any of them would be horrible, so I would suggest if crime is important that you take a close look at crimereports.com and factor that in along with rent prices to help in the decision making process.

As KurtAZ said, you can do several simple things to make yourself less of a target - no visible valuables in the car, keep the car and apt doors locked, get a simple car alarm that has a flashing light to warn off potential thieves, and drive a car that car thieves do not want.

If you can afford it, don't get the cheapest apt. Quality of tenants usually increases with the rent price!
Hey, thanks for all the feedback! I appreciate all the help.

You mentioned a car alarm that has a flashing light, I've never seen one of those before. Do they have a specific name?

Old 08-02-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I say the one on 83rd. Close to many things. Nice area. If she likes baseball she will be near spring training for 2 teams.
She's more of a hockey fan but I will let her know

Thanks btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area