Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM

576 posts, read 830,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcf View Post
Hey, thanks for all the feedback! I appreciate all the help.

You mentioned a car alarm that has a flashing light, I've never seen one of those before. Do they have a specific name?
Maybe I misled you... Most (maybe all?) car alarms have a flashing LED light that you mount somewhere conspicuous so that potential burglars will know the car is protected. I made my own "fake" car alarm years ago, that just had the flashing LED! I figured if it caused one burglar to move on to the next car, it was worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 09:56 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
The area on olive around the 101 that you mentioned isn't' exactly dangerous but man is it ugly. Just a depressing drive through there imo. I would also opt for #1 and then #4 on your list. Both are nice areas.

As far as crime goes, my wife and I have lived here for 4 years, 3 in Roosevelt which is downtown phoenix, and about a year at 32nd st and Osborne, and we haven't been victimized by anything except a sunburn. Lock your doors and you'll be fine, you're not moving to Detroit. I seriously think people are wayyyyy too fearful about any and everything these days. Phoenix is an incredibly safe city.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:07 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
As far as crime goes, my wife and I have lived here for 4 years, 3 in Roosevelt which is downtown phoenix, and about a year at 32nd st and Osborne, and we haven't been victimized by anything except a sunburn. Lock your doors and you'll be fine, you're not moving to Detroit. I seriously think people are wayyyyy too fearful about any and everything these days. Phoenix is an incredibly safe city.
Yes, in comparison.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:23 PM

576 posts, read 830,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
The area on olive around the 101 that you mentioned isn't' exactly dangerous but man is it ugly. Just a depressing drive through there imo. I would also opt for #1 and then #4 on your list. Both are nice areas.

I imagine victims here would disagree. The stats don't lie, the crime rate here is much higher than smaller cities, but yes, for a city this size, we are certainly not among the worst. That is no reason to let your guard down though.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:01 AM

720 posts, read 733,642 times
If you want safe I would suggest you rent a house or a patio home instead of being in an apartment community - you get all kinds no matter how nice the complex - we rented a very expensive one for that reason and our luck next door neighbor was the crash house I gather - they would gather in front of his stairwell hang out there, smoke, drink, and stay there till all hours. I'd have to say excuse me to get in and out of my door because so many would collect and hang out there - urgh - horrible experience -couldn't wait to get out - at least with a house you can feel secure that it's your space not necessarily shared with transient people in/out of communities that come from who knows where. You have family in Glendale so they can advise you of the locations - good luck!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:35 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcf View Post
They'll be moving from Burke, Virginia, which is one of the safest parts of the US. We can walk around late at night in this area without fear of anything happening. I could fall asleep on a public bench and wake up with my wallet still in my pocket. There's virtually no violent crime here, and very little (almost none) in the way of theft. I've read several articles on these forums that suggest it'll be a major culture shock for anyone that isn't used to cars and homes being broken into when one moves to the Glendale area. So while they're likely to stay in the Glendale area (at least for the foreseeable future), I'd like to find some specific suggestions for streets, or even specific apartment complexes, that you guys would say are safe. I've read some articles suggesting Peoria and Arrowhead are very nice, and I've looked into some of those areas.
They'll be in for a huge culture shock moving from a Mayberryesque town to anywhere in the Phoenix metro area. Glendale itself has many ups and downs, but the nicest part would be the Arrowhead area in north Glendale. One thing to keep in mind is it can be very congested, especially along Bell Road. Nearby Peoria is also decent, but the best part in my opinion is the Westbrook Village area, which is located on the strip of Peoria that borders Glendale on the east & Sun City on the west.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
I imagine victims here would disagree. The stats don't lie, the crime rate here is much higher than smaller cities, but yes, for a city this size, we are certainly not among the worst. That is no reason to let your guard down though.
Well-written.

Phoenix might be one of the safer large metropolitan areas but most people I know have been crime victims of some kind, mostly property crime.

Home burglaries and vehicle theft have always been on the high side here, but thankfully violent crimes like murder and assault aren't as common except in certain areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area