Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 03:58 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I know in Los Angeles they have a company that is using some kind of special white paint on the roads that take 15 degrees off right at the touch. So not as good as that one but still some kind of improvement over black asphalt.

Of course a better solution to this scenario would be something that is not black that replaces asphalt entirely. Instead of coating it with two layers of white paint that needs to be redone every 7 years at $40k/mile.

The tops of roofs on buildings should also have reflective cooler surfaces or solar panels at least. Solar panels at least do something productive despite not being reflective. Do that and the roads and we will see quite a bit of difference.

Yes this of course. We have to look at the long-term and prepare by taking precautions right now before its too late. Not severe precautions but... some at least.
Prickly Pear, while I also dislike dark colored asphalt and so forth in this climate due to the UHI, it's not like universities and scientists aren't aware of these problems and trying to find alternatives. CA, for example, has done a ton of research on cool pavements and other ways to decrease the UHI. You can do google searches and find the research papers. Also re: asphalt: was coating all of our nice light colored concrete freeways with darker colored rubberized asphalt really worth it (in terms of noise and money spent?) I'm sure a lot of pockets were lined with that one

Also, give the City of Phoenix some credit. They've had a big (and successful) white roof campaign, encouraging owners of warehouses and industrial buildings to paint their roofs white, not only to save electricity, but also to help with the UHI issue. That said, I am a little disappointed that there aren't more suburban homes with white tile roofs instead of the dark color tiles you often see--it makes no sense to me, but builders follow what the market demands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 04:36 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Prickly Pear, while I also dislike dark colored asphalt and so forth in this climate due to the UHI, it's not like universities and scientists aren't aware of these problems and trying to find alternatives. CA, for example, has done a ton of research on cool pavements and other ways to decrease the UHI. You can do google searches and find the research papers. Also re: asphalt: was coating all of our nice light colored concrete freeways with darker colored rubberized asphalt really worth it (in terms of noise and money spent?) I'm sure a lot of pockets were lined with that one

Also, give the City of Phoenix some credit. They've had a big (and successful) white roof campaign, encouraging owners of warehouses and industrial buildings to paint their roofs white, not only to save electricity, but also to help with the UHI issue. That said, I am a little disappointed that there aren't more suburban homes with white tile roofs instead of the dark color tiles you often see--it makes no sense to me, but builders follow what the market demands.
In Los Angeles that particular company was painting white over black asphalt, which as you correctly point out, is already over light colored concrete.

I know concrete is loud and not pleasant for driving because of that, but driving cars over 50 square miles with low density is why we have this issue in the first place. We wouldn't have an UHI if less people had cars and didn't seem to have this strong aversion to live in town versus the suburbs. It's been a minute since I drove in California but, last I recall, most of the freeways were just concrete over there and it wasn't that bad. So just moving to concrete should provide noticeable changes in not only savings for our taxes, but the UHI, given the size of our city.

Personally I think it should be a law, not just an encouragement, that roofs should be light colored here and/or be covered in solar panels. There are many appealing types of light colored roofs to fit all types of architecture so I don't want to hear about that. Red tile roofs that are rather popular here I don't think are an issue but... dark brown? Absolutely.

And it's not like there aren't other options, again see just leaving the roads as concrete, it's just that people care more about their driving experience being quiet than reducing their summer temperatures a few degrees. You're right... it's what the market demands.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:56 PM

^^^ Prickly pear: correction. You said "driving cars over 50 sq. miles with low density". You probably meant 500 sq. miles (the physical size of Phoenix and Los Angeles are each over 500 sq. miles= massive obviously.)

Old 11-04-2017, 12:13 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
^^^ Prickly pear: correction. You said "driving cars over 50 sq. miles with low density". You probably meant 500 sq. miles (the physical size of Phoenix and Los Angeles are each over 500 sq. miles= massive obviously.)
That was a typo on my behalf.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:22 AM

PS- You wouldn't have guessed this, but the sq. mile footprint of Oklahoma City is even bigger than Phoenix or Los Angeles. OKC is 620 sq. miles (probably lots of undeveloped land though.) Houston is even bigger: 627 sq. miles large.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:20 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
PS- You wouldn't have guessed this, but the sq. mile footprint of Oklahoma City is even bigger than Phoenix or Los Angeles. OKC is 620 sq. miles (probably lots of undeveloped land though.) Houston is even bigger: 627 sq. miles large.
Jacksonville Florida is 874 sq ft or 747 sq miles if you only count land.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:01 PM

^^^ Never been to Jax. I wonder if a lot of the land is swamp?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 PM

37 posts, read 32,782 times
BTT for more updates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area