Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 01:51 PM

70 posts, read 244,818 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are moving to the north side of Phoenix. We are in transition over the next few months, going back and forth, until we can fully move here (hopefully in March). I currently have Verizon, but I’ve noticed that the service is slow in our home. We are out of contract and ready for new phones. Any recommendations or tips for us?

Here’s the trickier one: We’d like to get fast internet. We will primarily be using it to stream from Netflix, Hulu, Sling...and to have good connection to provide WiFi for our phones. What/who would you suggest? Do any of them offer a plan that you can put on hold (we may not be here a couple of times for six weeks)?

Thank you very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 01:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times
Cox is really your only choice for internet. Century Link is the alternative which seems to have poor reviews. My Verizon service is great here.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:53 PM

536 posts, read 486,455 times
Centurylink is fast enough to stream a few devices. I'm on 40MBdown/4 up for $35/mo. Cox is super expensive.

Check Centurylink first and see what speeds they have for your address.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:12 PM

70 posts, read 244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Centurylink is fast enough to stream a few devices. I'm on 40MBdown/4 up for $35/mo. Cox is super expensive.

Check Centurylink first and see what speeds they have for your address.
Thanks. Does it stream Netflix without ‘buffering’ issues?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:39 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcork View Post
Thanks. Does it stream Netflix without ‘buffering’ issues?
iI've been on Century Link 40 for 3 years now. My actual speed is closer to 50 with speedtest. I have never been buffered in a Netflix show that I can recall and I have also watched Amazon shows with 4K UHD with no problems. Century Link has price for life now - no prices increases ever - and I would get 60 or even 100 if it is available at your new house as today's 40 may not be adequate for future needs. (not sure they even offer 40 anymore). The CL price is also no contract so if they disappoint you, you can switch to Cox at any time.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:05 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,245,230 times
Cox is where it is at for fast reliable internet. Century Link gets terrible reviews but there are some people that find them acceptable.

Verizon has the best coverage in the valley.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:33 PM

576 posts, read 834,721 times
I think the ISPs vary by location.... Best bet is to speak with some of the people in your neighborhood. I have had CenturyLink for 3 years and have had zero problems - but I live in Sun City West. Several people I know here (including 2 of my neighbors) have had a lot of outages with Cox. Again, it varies by location. I have 20 Down / 2 Up and have never had any problems streaming Netflix or Sling.

A friend recently told me she checked into CenturyLink because they were so much cheaper than Cox, but they did not offer a hold service while she was gone for the summer, so for her, she was better off just staying with Cox.

As for cell service, I had Verizon when I first moved here and experienced similar poor coverage in certain areas - especially my house! I switched over to Consumer Cellular who uses T-Mobile and AT&T towers and have not noticed much of an improvement in signal strength, but it's half the price so I am living with it!

Old 11-20-2017, 04:35 PM

551 posts, read 695,293 times
Centurylink isn't bad in some areas. In other areas, it's hellish. It depends where you are. It might be worth it to try it out and then switch due to lower pricing plans and just to see.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,931,072 times
I'm in far northwest phoenix, and my t mobile service is 100% perfect; I have Cox gigablast service, and its allways up, and fast as lightning

Old 11-21-2017, 07:22 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,169,024 times
Going to echo what others have said...it is really going to depend on where you live. Cox and CTL are the primary choices for broadband in the valley. Some like one over the other. Like wase4711, Cox Gigablast was available in my neighborhood and I jumped on it. From the router I can measure 900Mb/s bidirectional most of the time. Both providers have a qualification tool on their websites, so if you are worried about bandwidth at a certain address, just put the address into the websites and see what you qualify for.

As for Mobile service, we have had Verizon for years and have never had a problem. My parents on the other hand, had issues with all mobile services the short time they lived in Litchfield Park and ended up installing a repeater at their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area