Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:09 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times

Advertisements

Ahwatukee/South Phoenix/South Mountain area is gorgeous and services are many and convenient (Baseline from 48th St to McClintock to the 202 to where it becomes Pecos up to the south side of South Mountain - big area but most of it is pretty nice). The drive to Intel wouldn't be a big issue either. I don't know what the rental pricing is, however. My office is on Chandler Blvd near Desert Foothills Pkwy and it's a beautiful area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 03:49 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTraveler View Post
Are there areas of South Tempe or Chandler that are residential but not congested by retail giants?
I'm sure it will be easier to put in perspective when we are physically there, but hoping not to be in a residence down the street from strip malls and large public buildings, and the constant traffic/activity that goes with that.

I have seen south Tempe and North Mesa and Chandler recommended for families looking to buy or rent. I thought maybe the proximity to stores, and good schools, and entertainment etc would make it too busy for us; A family neighborhood is fine as long as it doesn't have an anthill feel.

There are lots of them in both cities. Ahwatukee feels more congested to me when I go over there, even on weekends, than either south Tempe or large parts of Chandler, (although there are some very nice neighborhoods there) so I'm not sure how Ahwatukee got on your list if you don't want "busy" anywhere nearby. Based on the post below, you already know it is the world's largest cul de sac.

Quote:
The building he will be working at is on Chandler Blvd. We were estimating 30-40min commute if moving to Ahwatukee but, I'm sure that will be affected by how far into the world's largest cul de sac, that rental is.
Did hear of the expansion but wasn't sure if it was actually happening yet.

Yes Queens Creek would be more away from it all; I raised my daughter in the Poconos so know that scenario has some big trade offs.
However it should be kind of against the flow for a commute.

Appreciate your input.

It would depend on his work hours, but the issue about getting out of Ahwatukee is how many light changes it would take to get past I-10. After that, it would be a very easy commute.

Queen Creek would NOT be against the flow for a commute to Chandler. Westbound in the AM, eastbound in the PM.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:45 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Quote:
Good to know general opinion on Ahwatukee vs Queen Creek. We considered them because they are a both a bit on the fringe, not for any similarities (which they apparently don't have).
AhWaukee looked more appealing for its mountain base location; Queen would be a plan B.
We ARE going to check out Chandler since it makes sense to at least look at the closest option. I would be pleasantly surprised if it has an appealing availability in our budget.
IMO, the main reason to buy in Queen Creek is the price. I don't go there often, so am not terribly familiar with the area. Just be aware that there's still development happening, and so over the years the character will change, the traffic will get worse, etc. I expect that eventually it will look a lot like Chandler

Old 11-25-2017, 03:10 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,057 times
If you choose queen creek, you will regret it, long painful commute every day.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:44 PM

12 posts, read 10,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
If you choose queen creek, you will regret it, long painful commute every day.
Hmmm..queen creek is nose diving on our rental prospect list
Thanks for brutal honesty.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 10,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There are lots of them in both cities. Ahwatukee feels more congested to me when I go over there, even on weekends, than either south Tempe or large parts of Chandler, (although there are some very nice neighborhoods there) so I'm not sure how Ahwatukee got on your list if you don't want "busy" anywhere nearby. Based on the post below, you already know it is the world's largest cul de sac.

We have been bookmarking places in Chandler now, since there seems to be enough support to give it a look.
I suppose, like many, the mountain proximity in Ahwatukee, calls to us. We are aware we are outside of Phoenix in any of our choices and can't lead a hermit existence, nor do we want to. We are renting only a year anyhow, and so will be able to experience the reality before committing to a location.

It would depend on his work hours, but the issue about getting out of Ahwatukee is how many light changes it would take to get past I-10. After that, it would be a very easy commute.
Standard USA suburb life LOL

Queen Creek would NOT be against the flow for a commute to Chandler. Westbound in the AM, eastbound in the PM
Noted. Thanks for the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area