Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 04:31 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Amtrak is unnecessary. First of all, it's funded by the federal government, and it should be an entirely private entity. Second, it's one of the least popular methods of travel compared to plane or private car. Maybe traveling by standard train was the way to go in the first half of the 20th Century, but we have much better methods of transport these days.

If we're going to keep rail service as a means of travel, it definitely should be faster and upgraded. I'm in favor of high speed bullet trains, but I'd rather see them funded on a state level, or better yet a private level. I personally don't know anybody (here or anywhere else) who uses Amtrak, but I do know people who would travel by train if it was high speed and served a real purpose.
Amtrak is a necessary alternative, and the government funds it for that reason. Just because Phoenix can't sustain service doesn't mean other places don't need alternatives. You really need to get your head out of the sand on some of these issues. Train travel is quite popular on routes that don't involve Arizona, and yes, those areas are part of the United States and include tax payers that don't include you. That could be hard for you to fathom considering Arizona is one of those states that takes more in federal tax dollars than it puts back in, though you still can't see any "benefits" of living here.

Also, you want these high-speed trains, but don't want to pay for what comes with the upgrade. Interesting. I have used Amtrak before, and would gladly use that service again... but I don't want to go all the way to Maricopa to take a train because Phoenix can't maintain a route (and fun fact, is the largest US city to be unable to do so).

I think there's a reason Amtrak doesn't service Phoenix, and that Phoenix isn't clamoring to get Amtrak service back. If this town doesn't want to make any sort of alternative feasible, then it's not going to get more transportation alternatives (even your speculative high-speed rail). If the money and demand aren't there, then there's no reason to put any focus on Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Amtrak is a necessary alternative, and the government funds it for that reason. Just because Phoenix can't sustain service doesn't mean other places don't need alternatives. You really need to get your head out of the sand on some of these issues. Train travel is quite popular on routes that don't involve Arizona, and yes, those areas are part of the United States and include tax payers that don't include you. That could be hard for you to fathom considering Arizona is one of those states that takes more in federal tax dollars than it puts back in, though you still can't see any "benefits" of living here.

Also, you want these high-speed trains, but don't want to pay for what comes with the upgrade. Interesting. I have used Amtrak before, and would gladly use that service again... but I don't want to go all the way to Maricopa to take a train because Phoenix can't maintain a route (and fun fact, is the largest US city to be unable to do so).

I think there's a reason Amtrak doesn't service Phoenix, and that Phoenix isn't clamoring to get Amtrak service back. If this town doesn't want to make any sort of alternative feasible, then it's not going to get more transportation alternatives (even your speculative high-speed rail). If the money and demand aren't there, then there's no reason to put any focus on Phoenix.
I already stated why Phoenix lost direct service. Prior to 1996, we were using now defunct Southern Pacific's tracks. But in January of 96, Union Pacific bought Southern Pacific, and wanted to run more freight down the former Southern Pacific tracks, which butted out Amtrak

Old 12-03-2017, 02:26 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I already stated why Phoenix lost direct service. Prior to 1996, we were using now defunct Southern Pacific's tracks. But in January of 96, Union Pacific bought Southern Pacific, and wanted to run more freight down the former Southern Pacific tracks, which butted out Amtrak
So? You explained why it's not here now, but did not explain why it's not coming. It would be a matter of negotiation and/or putting in new tracks to accommodate Amtrak. It's not happening because the demand isn't there.

Think of cities that share tracks with railroad companies to allow commuter rail. Railroad companies are usually pretty willing to work with local governments on that, but Valley cities won't get on board with it, even though that's more practical for long distance commuting (not to mention faster and much cheaper) than building more light rail lines. In this case, local governments don't seem to be willing to make this happen. And also consider the lack of more international flights from Sky Harbor. Oddly Phoenix seems to be actually trying to make that happen, but airlines are reluctant to dedicate a plane to a new route, plus have the burden of start-up and operational expenses if they feel they can't make a profit off that route. Phoenix once had flights to Germany, Jamaica and Japan, but could not sustain them. In this case, it's the lack of demand.

Conditions aren't really right to get rail service back in Phoenix.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
back to the OP's original question of why Denver and Albuquerque have passenger service and Phx does not.....

a primary reason is that Phx was NEVER on a main line track and the other two cities always were.....also, there just isn't the necessary demand and Phx is too "out of the way" (not on the main line).....the goal at the time of original SP construction (1880) was to get to California from the east on the shortest, all-weather route, not get to a farm town with 1700 people (Phx)

Last edited by azdr0710; 12-04-2017 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 06:58 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
I still want to know why the Government hasn't subsidized my Covered Wagon Revitalization Program.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
That could be hard for you to fathom considering Arizona is one of those states that takes more in federal tax dollars than it puts back in, though you still can't see any "benefits" of living here.
That disparity will increase with the "tax reform" coming down the pike, where it appears that state and local taxes will no longer be deductible.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:22 AM

1,948 posts, read 2,296,787 times
nice rail road map ..very cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area