Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 03:21 PM

80 posts, read 98,824 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I will be moving from CH to one of the Phoenix Suburbs. I am a single mom with a 7 yr old son. I would like to be in a family oriented neighborhood. I work remotely but if I had to go into the office it would be in phoenix. I've done some research the best I know how. But I need to have a good public school, low crime rates, and affordable housing. My budget for a house is $225K. I have reviewed and think the following suburbs might work but can you give me your opinion please?

Gilbert
Peoria
Surprise
Chandler
Scottsdale - I don't think I want to move here but I saw that schools are good
Oro Valley
Goodyear

I also saw
Fountain Hills
Cave creek
Anthem

Any ideas which might be best for me and my little. The most important to me is low crime and good school. I would also like to be close to a wal mart , target, pediatrican, dentist, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 03:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Are condos/townhouses doable? Where is CH? I’ve never seen that abbreviation.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:36 PM

576 posts, read 833,781 times
You will get more responses in the Phoenix forum. Also, Oro Valley is a suburb of Tucson, not Phoenix.

For $225k, you are probably going to have to focus on the west valley unless a condo as Detroit inquired about is ok. Peoria or Goodyear are good choices in the west valley, but can't speak to schools. My choice would be Peoria. You can scratch Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, and Cave Creek from your list - you're not rich enough!

Old 01-09-2018, 02:44 AM

274 posts, read 295,409 times
What does CH stand for? I'm a bit curious - never seen it before, either.

As far as Phoenix suburbs, I do not know a lot about many of them, but I have been to a few or lived in a few of them.

Supposedly, Gilbert is a suburb that brags about family friendliness. I would think you could find a decent home somewhere in Gilbert for $225k or so. My children were never school aged when we lived there so I don't know a lot about the school systems from a personal point of view. However, I remember a lot of parents that did have school aged children mentioned that Gilbert had a lot of nice schools. Supposedly the crime rate in Gilbert is lower than some of the other suburbs. Although it doesn't seem like a lot of people have breathing issues there and the pollution isn't as bad we had quite a few issues there and must have been allergic to something - bothers us any time we swing down there. Depending where you are in Gilbert, you may or may not be close to a pediatrician that you prefer, but you would need to look and see what it close and cooperates with any insurance you may have. I did notice quite a lot of dentists in Gilbert. There is definitely shopping in the Gilbert area, plenty of it. You will have Super Walmarts and Super Targets available. Chandler isn't too far away and I would imagine you could also find some good schools and homes in that area as well.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
$100 she meant to say "CHI".

Old 01-09-2018, 08:13 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,816,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanavarrete1 View Post
Hi all

I will be moving from CH to one of the Phoenix Suburbs. I am a single mom with a 7 yr old son. I would like to be in a family oriented neighborhood. I work remotely but if I had to go into the office it would be in phoenix. I've done some research the best I know how. But I need to have a good public school, low crime rates, and affordable housing. My budget for a house is $225K. I have reviewed and think the following suburbs might work but can you give me your opinion please?

Gilbert
Peoria
Surprise
Chandler
Scottsdale - I don't think I want to move here but I saw that schools are good
Oro Valley
Goodyear

I also saw
Fountain Hills
Cave creek
Anthem

Any ideas which might be best for me and my little. The most important to me is low crime and good school. I would also like to be close to a wal mart , target, pediatrican, dentist, etc...
Family friend, low crime, decent schools, and affordable screams Chandler and Gilbert. (Gilbert is more pricier than Chandler).
But those are family friendly areas with plenty of shopping within a few miles of the freeway.

I'm not too familiar with the West Valley cities.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 AM

352 posts, read 387,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
$100 she meant to say "CHI".
No, probably North Carolina, Charlotte, maybe Charlotte/Huntersville. I have seen CH used for Charlotte in that region.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:13 PM

525 posts, read 540,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Family friend, low crime, decent schools, and affordable screams Chandler and Gilbert. (Gilbert is more pricier than Chandler).
But those are family friendly areas with plenty of shopping within a few miles of the freeway.

I'm not too familiar with the West Valley cities.
No, Chandler is pricier than Gilbert because of its location. Need to know more specifics as far as sq ft., How many bedrooms etc for recommendations. Yes Gilbert and Chandler are family friendly, but if the OP has lofty expectations, the budget won’t be enough- especially in Chandler.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,735,944 times
I too want to know what CH stands for? Chicago? Charlotte? Chattanooga? Charleston?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:43 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,161,878 times
CH is the country abbreviation for Switzerland.

OP: Single Mom with 2 year old son, I would look into townhomes unless you really want to deal with the upkeep of a Single Family Home. Most have community pools and workout centers as well. Not sure what is on the market right now but I seem to remember seeing a few under $225k. Just remember to take into consideration the Association fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area