Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 03:52 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times

Advertisements

I've seen all kinds of theories on why one or the other is more efficient to heat/cool. Honesty, I think good insulation and windows are way more important than how many stories the house has.

Another factor that's important here is the home's orientation. I'll advise to avoid anything with a back yard that faces west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Our last house was about 2800 sq ft 2 stories with one air conditioner. No way that 2000 sq ft would need two.
The standard split is around 2000SF. There is however no reason you could not do 2800SF with one. I would however point out that unless it is one of the new ductless systems you will encounter larger cooling and heating bills. In the summer we routinely have one side of the house at 76 and the other at 82. Saves close sto $100 per month in the heat. SW ductless system would be even better though they cost initially.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:00 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,681,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Note that even some larger one-story homes might still have two AC units. Historically, the with the 1 ton per 400 square foot rule was that anything above 2000 square feet required two AC units in our climate, since the largest size residential HVAC unit is a 5 ton unit (anything larger is considered a commercial unit). While the greater energy-efficiency of homes might change this rule a bit, note that this rule also assumed that the home had 8-foot ceilings. Very few new homes are still being built with 8-foot ceilings (most use 9-foot or 10-foot ceilings), and the higher ceilings will require more tons per square foot.

Based on my own experience with rehabbing to modern standards, I suspect 1 ton to 600 sq feet or possibly even 800 sq feet might be more appropriate for new builds. Ceiling height is way less important than air-infiltrate sealing. 4 tons for 1600 sq feet would cool it with no insulation or sealing. It would be ridiculously expensive, but it would cool even in 115 temps.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Here's my .2 cents for what it's worth. Around here (the West Valley/far west valley) single story homes sell for more per sqft than 2 stories do based on the FlexMLS that I watch daily. They also sell faster (here) that 2 stories do. I don't know exactly why but I've got some theories.

I live in a 2 story now and have owned many 2 story homes some new builds some used, I built our last home which was a single story. It's cheaper to build a two story as it's cheaper to go up than go out, that is just a plain fact. It's almost guaranteed that you will have a smaller yard with a single story vs a 2 story solely due to home footprint.

Now, on to the claims of a single story is cheaper to heat/cool than a 2 story. It all depends on construction and maintenance afterwards if all other things are equal. I match our 2400 sqft 2 story against my neighbors smaller single stories and our utility bills are lower than theirs, our bills are even lower than matching 2 stories across the street from us with the difference being they have a single zone system to our 2 zone (an upgrade at the time of building vs standard package).

They run theirs at least 5 degrees hotter than we do during the summer (76 vs 81-85) and we still have a way lower bill. This could be due to we have better insulation, better windows or better maintenance.
The next house we buy will be a single story just because we don't need all this space and we're getting older so stairs could be an issue later on.

The new single story will get RU 50+ in the attic and as much as I can stuff into the walls as that has a significant effect on what your cooling/heating costs will be.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:52 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,586 times
We have owned and lived in rentals that were two stories over the years.
Get sick or injured and getting upstairs to the bedrooms gets tough.
We bought what well likely be our last home 6 years ago in Prescott Valley and purposely looked for a single story unit that might accommodate a handicap type should the need arise. My father was handicapped so I was familiar with the burden that a two story home can cause and wanted to prepare for things I saw in my own future and I already had back troubles.
Since then I had heart failure and resulting surgeries for that and my back and I am now having to use a wheelchair for any extended walking.
We planned correctly and our home took very little in the way of modifications to accommodate my handicap status. Only a couple of mini ramps entering the home and we were set.
While it might seem silly to plan for what might not come you just never know what the future will bring.
I would never consider a two story home.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:04 PM

494 posts, read 501,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanavarrete1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

You all are have a ton of great advise and this site is the best. I am pretty close to deciding on Verrado in Buckeye. But I'm struggling with the 2 story vs. single story. I need the room that a 2 story offers. But it seems everyone I speak to lives in a single story. Is it because of the expense of living in a 2 story as far as AC cost? I don't want to make the wrong decision and not be able to afford my electric bill in the summer because I chose a 2 story. The folks that I have met and talked to have never lived in a 2 story because they say it is way way to expensive to cool down. But they don't live in a 2 story, so I wanted to get opinions from folks who DO live in a 2 story in the west valley.

I would be looking at a new build, about 2000 Sq ft. I also heard if you have a 2 story you have to make sure you have 2 ac units. Wouldn't having 2 ac units be more expensive to run?

I've never lived in AZ, I will be coming from NC, but I lived in San Diego for 20 years until 3 years ago when moving to NC.

Thanks in advance
I would never in two lifetimes purchase a two-story. Especially one that's only 2000 sq ft. . . .and they're darn near impossible to sell when you get tired of climbing those stairs. I also wouldn't buy in Verrado's new section because there are too many 2-story homes and they built those terrible asphalt shingle-looking projects around the new pool. For 2000 sq ft, I'd first cross Lost Creek and buy something in the closer to Main Street and look really hard at the Ashton Woods homes Plans 1 and 2. They are some of the best looking and most desirable homes in Verrado. Another great product is Cachet...they're larger, and have great style...TW Lewis homes there are also very nice.

A single story will feel larger than a similarly-sized two story. 2000 sq feet is not a lot of space to work with when you start putting in bedooms or a staircase, hallways....Your A/C will be what it will be. I would not factor it into my decision.

Perhaps you do a few weekend VRBO rentals in Verrado to see what you like to help you make the best decision for you.

Two story homes are more expensive to build: more roof, more land, more plumbing, etc.
That's how I see it.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
I would never in two lifetimes purchase a two-story. Especially one that's only 2000 sq ft. . . .and they're darn near impossible to sell when you get tired of climbing those stairs. I also wouldn't buy in Verrado's new section because there are too many 2-story homes and they built those terrible asphalt shingle-looking projects around the new pool. For 2000 sq ft, I'd first cross Lost Creek and buy something in the closer to Main Street and look really hard at the Ashton Woods homes Plans 1 and 2. They are some of the best looking and most desirable homes in Verrado. Another great product is Cachet...they're larger, and have great style...TW Lewis homes there are also very nice.

A single story will feel larger than a similarly-sized two story. 2000 sq feet is not a lot of space to work with when you start putting in bedooms or a staircase, hallways....Your A/C will be what it will be. I would not factor it into my decision.

Perhaps you do a few weekend VRBO rentals in Verrado to see what you like to help you make the best decision for you.

Two story homes are more expensive to build: more roof, more land, more plumbing, etc.
That's how I see it.
You have that backwards <bold> Single stories are more expensive to build that is a fact, more roof line and more foundation for starters.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You have that backwards <bold> Single stories are more expensive to build that is a fact, more roof line and more foundation for starters.
Yes, that's what I meant...thanks....sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain

Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 AM

An article about a great (albeit expensive) single-story around 4000 sq feet that should be able lto change anyone's bias against single-story living.

http://www.builderonline.com/design/...-residence-3_o

Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times
We live in a 2 story, Glendale, just under 2500 sq ft, with SRP electric and the highest bill we have ever had is about $320. We have an a/c unit for each level. No swimming pool or spa. We also have trees planted on south and west side of our yard that provide shade. The southern tree is an ash, which is deciduous, so it loses it leaves and provides nice sunshine in the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area