Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:52 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times

Advertisements

when you judge success and happiness by what kind of car you and your neighbors drive, then the snots dale license plate frames are the perfect accessory for you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 01:20 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
when you judge success and happiness by what kind of car you and your neighbors drive, then the snots dale license plate frames are the perfect accessory for you..
Wow, it sure didn’t take long for you to pick up that attitude. Sad.

For the record, what you’re criticizing is a stereotype. Scottsdale is huge and has all kinds of people. I would not care what car anyone drives. They’re a lot more likely to drive a pickup than a Bugatti Chiron.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:18 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
There's shopping in Grayhawk Plaza, close to where the OP would be, as well as a very popular Dutch Bros coffee drive-thru (as I can attest from personal experience). Less than 10 minutes away down Scottsdale Road are tons of stores and restaurants, as well as Kierland.

The OP's choice is an excellent location. We made an offer on a house further out, Pima Rd x Happy Valley-ish, and we felt it was as close to town as we needed to be.

Yes, up Pima there are things to do, as well as south of the 101 (a new Lou Malnatis is going in! WOOT WOOT), but not as much shopping like you can find around Shea, etc. That's all I was getting at. You go north of the 101 on Scottsdale Road and its like someone turned the lights off.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:20 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post

And, take the Scottsdale dealer plate advertisement and throw it in the trash. I never understood why people left those on.
The heck are you rambling about now? People aren't allowed to leave a Scottsdale dealer plate on, but you're ok with your neighbor's outdated and embarrassing Obama sticker? I give up.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:20 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The heck are you rambling about now? People aren't allowed to leave a Scottsdale dealer plate on, but you're ok with your neighbor's outdated and embarrassing Obama sticker? I give up.
Who said anything about what people are allowed to do? It's not a matter of allowed, but why would anyone drive around with an advertisement on the back of their car? Laziness or douche status are the only two options. It looks tacky. You're supposedly a car guy, you should get that.

I never stated whether or not I was OK with my neighbor's bumper sticker, but nice try.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:21 AM

656 posts, read 813,621 times
I have proudly driven a sixteen year old car in North Scottsdale for twelve years.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:11 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR87 View Post
Hubby will be working in Paradise Valley. I'll most likely be doing home health.
Quote:
We will be renting an apartment, but plan to buy within the next 2-3 years. I'm having doubts that we will be able to afford a home in North Scottsdale. We'd want to stay under 400k I think, as we enjoy to travel and don't want to be strapped down to a high mortgage.
When you say "Paradise Valley", are you referring to the town itself or the Paradise Valley Village area in NE Phoenix? You might want to give some cross streets to determine where his job will be, then we can recommend a location which won't be such a distant commute. Also, what's considered "north Scottsdale" can seem like a whole different world compared to other parts of Scottsdale. North of the 101 is hit & miss development, lots of open spaces, with a semi rural but still upscale atmosphere. It can also be more expensive there, and you're further away from lots of things.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Why Scottsdale? If you work in Paradise Valley, you can live near the Biltmore and still have a good commute, potentially a better commute, with access to older housing stock and better affordability.

Or you can live in the Paradise Valley Village of Phoenix (just north around the Paradise Valley mall at Tatum and Cactus) and probably get what you are looking for in your budget. This area is nice and seems to be underrated.

400k isn't going to get you the best home in Scottsdale if you are solely looking at single family homes. I know this because the builder who built my old (now sold) home in central Glendale had almost a 150k surcharge on it for even less square footage and one less bedroom. My home, worth around 260k, was breaking 400k in central Scottsdale by Frank Lloyd Wright and Via Linda. A good area in Scottsdale of course, but at some point you gotta ask yourself if a home is worth it at that price if you can get the same elsewhere. Especially if you want to spend your money on something other than your mortgage every once in a while.

400k in South Scottsdale might get you something nice, but South Scottsdale doesn't uphold Scottsdale's upper-class reputation. At that point it might be a better "bang for your buck" to look in Phoenix's east side, either near the Biltmore (32nd street and Camelback/Indian School area) or PV Village of Phoenix. All with easy accessibility into Paradise Valley. Or if you want something further out, look north of Desert Ridge (Tatum and 101 freeway).

Now, if you open up to a townhouse or condo, then you can get something nice in all parts of Scottsdale. I've seen some condos right in the heart of Kierland/Quarter (North Scottsdale) sell for 250k. Spacious ones too.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:21 AM

96 posts, read 93,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
When you say "Paradise Valley", are you referring to the town itself or the Paradise Valley Village area in NE Phoenix? You might want to give some cross streets to determine where his job will be, then we can recommend a location which won't be such a distant commute. Also, what's considered "north Scottsdale" can seem like a whole different world compared to other parts of Scottsdale. North of the 101 is hit & miss development, lots of open spaces, with a semi rural but still upscale atmosphere. It can also be more expensive there, and you're further away from lots of things.
He will be working in the town itself I think. The residential area. We aren't from AZ so not sure if it's considered the town or village. His employer will be on E Lincoln Dr I believe.

Last edited by KLR87; 02-04-2018 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-04-2018, 10:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
He will be working in the town itself I think. The residential area. We aren't from AZ so not sure if it's considered the town or village.
Paradise Valley is its own town in the Phoenix area. The city of Phoenix segments areas within Phoenix into “urban villages”, one of which being called Paradise Valley, confusingly enough. The urban village identifiers aren’t commonly used, but when PV is mentioned, it can be good to confirm which is being referenced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area