Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 03:10 PM

134 posts, read 96,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Pictures and drive byes are great but I suggest you actually visit here in person around the middle of June. Then you will see if you can tolerate the heat,it should be around 112-115 then.

It's nothing like east coast living,I'm from MA,where you get a few hot weeks then a cold front comes in and cools things off. Once it gets hot here it stays hot and you'll see temps at times over 100 still at 10pm! You're going to be running your ac roughly from May-Oct and that'll also depend on your heat tolerance,some wimps turn them on in March.

I agree with BC,if you're looking for lush greenery move to Florida. It's the desert and while there are many master planned areas with a lot of green-space most are desert landscaping using very little water. Oh yea don't expect the homes to be all colorful like back east either,most are some shade of beige/brown. Im not trying to paint an ugly picture but if you've never been out here I suggest you make a trip first as moving could be a costly mistake.

I lived in Puerto Rico 17 years so I know heat, though I'm not used to it having lived in Pittsburgh for many years. I know why you suggest visiting in June cause it is the worse weather, but I think it's not the best recommendation. When you live there your body slowly adjusts to the temperature increase in the months leading up to the summer (just like here the body adjusts to the colder weather in the fall months).

So telling people come visit in June to see if your body adjusts to a 30-degree change in a day is not a fair suggestion, of course, most people will hate it.

I do agree with you that if people want lush they should go elsewhere.

I just thought the pic the person shared was pretty and surprising for my idea of Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,724,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmm-78 View Post
I lived in Puerto Rico 17 years so I know heat, though I'm not used to it having lived in Pittsburgh for many years. I know why you suggest visiting in June cause it is the worse weather, but I think it's not the best recommendation. When you live there your body slowly adjusts to the temperature increase in the months leading up to the summer (just like here the body adjusts to the colder weather in the fall months).

So telling people come visit in June to see if your body adjusts to a 30-degree change in a day is not a fair suggestion, of course, most people will hate it.

I do agree with you that if people want lush they should go elsewhere.

I just thought the pic the person shared was pretty and surprising for my idea of Phoenix.
You do realize that most of us sit in air conditioned buildings in the 70s during the summer, right? We constantly experience a 30+ degree temperature swing. I’m not sure how much acclimating is involved when we’re in temperature controlled environments.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 03-06-2018 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 03:40 PM

2,097 posts, read 3,825,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You do realize that most of us sit in air conditioned buildings in the 70s during the summer, right? We constantly experience a 30+ degree tnweratue swing. I’m not sure how much acclimating is involved when we’re in temperature controlled environments.
Exactly! Most businesses here are blasting their ac so it's freezing inside compared to the outside temps. I've been to UOP in Sept and froze inside when it's 108 outside,you'd think with 65,000 inside people they'd have a hard time keeping it that cold. I hear women all the time say they wear a sweater in the office because it's freezing inside.

OP, Puerto Rico's heat is nothing like AZ,again you're comparing Florida tropical weather hot and humid. While somewhat true your body can/will adjust slowly over time some never do and some have said it's got worse the longer they were here and now just can't tolerate it like they first could.

Actually you're wrong that most will hate it when they come in June unless they're heat sensitive, then they have no business here in the first place. I should've said come in June and stay for an extended time like a month if possible. The first few day or so never seem that bad but most can't grasp the day in day out relentless heat,even at night.

Yes Kurt's pic is nice but that's not your typical Phoenix looking neighborhood. There are many like that but you might not find one in your price range or desired area so be prepared for 50 shades of beige.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You do realize that most of us sit in air conditioned buildings in the 70s during the summer, right? We constantly experience a 30+ degree temperature swing. I’m not sure how much acclimating is involved when we’re in temperature controlled environments.
LOL yes, The temperature difference between outdoors and indoors in hot places is common. They do it in Puerto Rico and I heard they do it in Florida as well. Most people wear a sweatshirt or something to keep them warm while inside. Even here in Pittsburgh over the summer months.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Exactly! Most businesses here are blasting their ac so it's freezing inside compared to the outside temps. I've been to UOP in Sept and froze inside when it's 108 outside,you'd think with 65,000 inside people they'd have a hard time keeping it that cold. I hear women all the time say they wear a sweater in the office because it's freezing inside.

OP, Puerto Rico's heat is nothing like AZ,again you're comparing Florida tropical weather hot and humid. While somewhat true your body can/will adjust slowly over time some never do and some have said it's got worse the longer they were here and now just can't tolerate it like they first could.

Actually you're wrong that most will hate it when they come in June unless they're heat sensitive, then they have no business here in the first place. I should've said come in June and stay for an extended time like a month if possible. The first few day or so never seem that bad but most can't grasp the day in day out relentless heat,even at night.

Yes Kurt's pic is nice but that's not your typical Phoenix looking neighborhood. There are many like that but you might not find one in your price range or desired area so be prepared for 50 shades of beige.

Yes, very familiar with people having to wear sweaters inside when all the ACs are blasting and it's hot out.
I know the PR hot and AZ hot are different. Guess it's a good different, I've heard AZ people boast on how the AZ dry heat makes it much better than the tropical swampy heat.

I like your idea of spending a month there to get to know the areas and experience the weather.

The 50 shades of beige are beautiful! Very different from what I grew up with in Puerto Rico, and come to live in in Pittsburgh. It's actually a lot like the North of Chile (a dessert) when I visited.

The house architecture in AZ with more Spanish and Native influence is beautiful, I like it more than what's up here in Western PA, maybe cause they remind me of some houses in PR.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:38 PM

2,097 posts, read 3,825,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmm-78 View Post
Yes, very familiar with people having to wear sweaters inside when all the ACs are blasting and it's hot out.
I know the PR hot and AZ hot are different. Guess it's a good different, I've heard AZ people boast on how the AZ dry heat makes it much better than the tropical swampy heat.

I like your idea of spending a month there to get to know the areas and experience the weather.

The 50 shades of beige are beautiful! Very different from what I grew up with in Puerto Rico, and come to live in in Pittsburgh. It's actually a lot like the North of Chile (a dessert) when I visited.

The house architecture in AZ with more Spanish and Native influence is beautiful, I like it more than what's up here in Western PA, maybe cause they remind me of some houses in PR.

Yes AZ is much better than that swampy wet tropical mess although it does get humid here in July-early Sept but nothing like east coast humidity.

I'm sure Pitt is a lot like most areas in MA which are older and more historic. Personally I don't care for them and love the Spanish South West look but the lack of color can get old sometimes.

Sounds like you'll be fine with the weather, I'd just try and spend some time here before buying as the area is very spread out. Sounds like the east valley would suite you but you can get more house for your money here in the west valley. Oh boy here comes another east vs west argument.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:21 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,205,060 times
Correct...sometimes it looks like this:

Tanker Fire

Or This: From the Parking Garage

And we all hate the traffic (Yes I was stopped...geesh)

But then there is always this:

Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Correct...sometimes it looks like this:

Tanker Fire

Or This: From the Parking Garage

And we all hate the traffic (Yes I was stopped...geesh)

But then there is always this:
Thanks for sharing real pictures. Like every place, there is good and bad. :-)

When I first came to Pittsburgh 22 years ago from growing up in Puerto Rico, I hated the gray sky you see 200+ days of the year. I felt depressed by it. Then my first few winters as a college student on public transportation, waiting an hour outside for the bus in -10F weather was horrible!!! Felt like my toes and feet would break off my body. But in time I got used to it, and I have come to appreciate the rain, the snow, but also the nicer months of the year much more.

Every place has it's own beauty and Arizona has some variety in the high areas which is nice if you need a break!

Old 03-08-2018, 10:03 PM

945 posts, read 2,534,251 times
Having lived in PA, I can imagine the Phoenix metro area is almost foreign to you. We don't have townships or boroughs- we're just one large suburb after another. Everything is new and clean, areas are divided by socio-economic class rather than race. Unlike many places in PA, in general, people aren't "from here." People are welcome to move here and it has more of a "live, let live" mentality. Probably more similar to NOVA than anyplace in PA...Unlike PA, people don't live here for decades to be considered an outsider. Of course, one won't find the history, greenery, brick houses with porches here. We also don't use hedges to separate houses, but, rather have 6 foot walls. Almost forgot: NO LOCAL INCOME TAXES!

Your budget will be just fine for many houses in many parts of the valley. Both the east and west valley have nice homes and good schools available. It would be very helpful if you could limit yourself to one part of the metro area, as it can take well over an hour to drive from Buckeye to San Tan Valley. We live in Goodyear, our daughter went to a great school, we always feel safe, and live in a lovely home. I happen to be partial to Goodyear and Litchfield Park, but others feel the same about their city.

Let us know if we can answer any specific questions.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
Having lived in PA, I can imagine the Phoenix metro area is almost foreign to you. We don't have townships or boroughs- we're just one large suburb after another. Everything is new and clean, areas are divided by socio-economic class rather than race. Unlike many places in PA, in general, people aren't "from here." People are welcome to move here and it has more of a "live, let live" mentality. Probably more similar to NOVA than anyplace in PA...Unlike PA, people don't live here for decades to be considered an outsider. Of course, one won't find the history, greenery, brick houses with porches here. We also don't use hedges to separate houses, but, rather have 6 foot walls. Almost forgot: NO LOCAL INCOME TAXES!

Your budget will be just fine for many houses in many parts of the valley. Both the east and west valley have nice homes and good schools available. It would be very helpful if you could limit yourself to one part of the metro area, as it can take well over an hour to drive from Buckeye to San Tan Valley. We live in Goodyear, our daughter went to a great school, we always feel safe, and live in a lovely home. I happen to be partial to Goodyear and Litchfield Park, but others feel the same about their city.

Let us know if we can answer any specific questions.
You are absolutely right! In my research, I keep trying to find the township/borough (like Litchfield Park or Peoria) but it looks like it is not the same. So are those just cities with good and bad areas? Still trying to understand that part.

Some of the things you mention as different from PA (socio-economic class vs race, 6 ft walls) are similar in Puerto Rico so I can relate from my childhood.

No local income taxes sounds great, taxes are terrible in Allegheny County in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area