Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post
This is my biggest complaint about Phoenix. I used to live/work downtown in a lively city. I would walk 30 miles a week going to baseball games or out to bars after work. Here, everything is a drive, and you're already tired by the time you fight traffic to get there. It is not optimal at all.
I have Diamondbacks season tickets and walk to the light rail to go to games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 02:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
This is my biggest complaint about Phoenix. I used to live/work downtown in a lively city. I would walk 30 miles a week going to baseball games or out to bars after work. Here, everything is a drive, and you're already tired by the time you fight traffic to get there. It is not optimal at all.
There are walkable areas here, you just don't live in one. I don't see how that justifies as a complaint about Phoenix.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:46 PM

549 posts, read 1,560,884 times
Quote:
Depends where you are. I know what you mean, I lived in Chicago, but there are areas of Phoenix that are walkable. For instance, if you live downtown, you can easily walk to light rail, Diamondbacks games, Suns games, restaurants, stores, and shops. If you live in Old Town Scottsdale you can walk to spring training games, bars, restaurants, and the "riverwalk." If you live near Mill Avenue in Tempe you can walk to a ton of restaurants and bars and Gammage, where Broadway plays are. Yeah, a lot of Phoenix is sprawling suburb - but not *all* of it.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 PM

2,292 posts, read 3,091,504 times
To the OP, I would look into areas around Midtown/Uptown, as well. Basically around Camelback Rd up to Glendale and east of 7th Ave. Arcadia should be doable within your budget, too. There is lots to do in those areas, it's reasonably walkable, and you can get a nice updated home with character and a nice yard within your budget. People are friendly, it's a little safer than closer to downtown (though I'd hardly consider downtown "unsafe"), and schools are better, too (especially within Madison District).

Old 03-14-2018, 03:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
To the OP, I would look into areas around Midtown/Uptown, as well. Basically around Camelback Rd up to Glendale and east of 7th Ave. Arcadia should be doable within your budget, too. There is lots to do in those areas, it's reasonably walkable, and you can get a nice updated home with character and a nice yard within your budget. People are friendly, it's a little safer than closer to downtown (though I'd hardly consider downtown "unsafe"), and schools are better, too (especially within Madison District).
Arcadia for $550k? Not happening I’m afraid. I think many would be surprised at how little that gets even in the surrounding areas. Great areas and solid recommendations, but I don’t think it’s really doable on that budget. The historic districts should get them something. More than something in Coronado.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:45 PM

169 posts, read 199,221 times
Thanks for all these suggestions, I’ll check out all these areas when I come out in April. I’m still not sure if I want to be downtown or way out but this gives me lots of ideas...

Old 03-15-2018, 06:38 PM

656 posts, read 815,188 times
I moved to Phoenix from San Francisco (second in population density only to NYC). That is atypical of the entire Western US. Spread out people means spread out towns. It will take some adjustment.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:18 AM

90 posts, read 69,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
I moved to Phoenix from San Francisco (second in population density only to NYC). That is atypical of the entire Western US. Spread out people means spread out towns. It will take some adjustment.
I have a job interview at Facebook and am thinking about leaving Phoenix after a year. Is it really that bad? I'd be in Menlo Park, and the commute from downtown is a mess, I've heard. Plus rent is 3k more than here for a box.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,913,469 times
I was just talking to my friend about the lack of true walkability in Willo and Encanto. Both are beautiful hoods with nice people but not much in the way of amenities. I prefer Coronado or Cheery Lynn when it comes to walkability.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:11 AM

169 posts, read 199,221 times
Thanks Kytoaz. I like to get a variety of opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area