Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,210 times

Advertisements

My husband has the opportunity to transfer with his company to Phoenix by July of this year. We are currently living in Nashville, TN where we are both from (though we have lived elsewhere). We love Nashville, but the population is absolutely booming and the city and infrastructure can't keep up. Traffic is a nightmare and the overdevelopment is killing any charm this city once had. It is vastly, vastly overpopulated. All this to say, we are looking into the transfer to Phoenix very seriously.

What is it like to raise a family in Phoenix? Is it safe? Is there a lot to do? Are there many young families? We have two preschoolers so school zones won't be an immediate issue, but we would be looking to buy a home and I want to make a smart decision. Are the schools in the Phoenix area as bad as I have read about? To be fair, Tennessee schools are sorely lacking. Are people friendly and are there a lot of social things going on? We would know absolutely nobody in the area and we are pretty social.

What is the general vibe of Phoenix? Is it vibrant, fun, friendly, chill? Is it true that Arizona is conservative without the Religious nature of conservatism? The religious culture in Nashville is oppressing. Going to church is just something that is assumed here, and when meeting new people they will ask you where you go to church before they ask your name. We aren't religious people and I would honestly move just about anywhere to escape the bible belt (and my incredibly religious in-laws down the street) and to meet some interesting people that don't want to talk about Jesus and don't mind if I say bad words.

How fast does the Real Estate market move and are property values steadily improving? What would you say are the safest, most family friendly areas? Is crime a real issue?

Lastly, what is the insect situation like? I pretty much have our exterminator on speed dial out here and I still see bugs in my house almost daily. Tennessee is crawling (puns) with insects and I would love to get away from such a bug infested area.

I realize this is a lot. Any advice or answers to any of the above is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 11:21 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
I used to live in Alabama, Louisiana & Texas. There are churches here, but I've never had anyone ask me where I attend like they did in the south. You are correct that the conservatism here is more fiscal than religious (IMO anyway). The state claims to be red but on social issues it often votes blue so I consider AZ to be purple. I find most folks friendly, but then the only place I've lived that I thought was unfriendly was Hollywood FL and Detroit isn't so chatty either. Folks say hi back when I say hi, smile back when I smile first, and often chat in the grocery line. Works for me! Traffic is heavy but not a nightmare compared to most other cities this size (I'm comparing it to Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Denver and PHX is much better overall). The roads seem to be expanding at a pretty decent clip compared to growth. It's even better if you can get flextime at a job and avoid the peak hours. I work 10-6 or 11-7 and rarely encounter rush hour traffic either way. I can't help with family or real estate questions since I'm single and I rent.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:56 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
I lived in Nashville many years ago and loved it. We moved here from North Carolina and raised our kids out in the desert. The biggest issue was education. Once we learned how to navigate the educational system our kids did fine. There are good schools out here, but you definitely have be involved in your child's education. There are lots of families with young kids in cities like Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert, to name a few. Phoenix has some nice communities as well.

The vibe of Phoenix is more laid back and libertarian. Although there are many churches here it is definitely not religious like Nashville or the south in general. People pretty much have a live-and-let-live attitude out here. They are friendly, for the most part, and will respond if you speak to them.

Real estate is pretty hot right now. Prices are slowly creeping up as the economy chugs along and people continue to move here. There is crime, but it is not something I have concerned myself with in our many years of living here. Like other large cities there are sections where crime rates are higher than others, but I never feel unsafe here.
As for safe areas Chandler and Gilbert rate pretty high along with Peoria and Scottsdale.

Finally, we have flies and mosquitos, but nothing like you have in Tennessee. We do have scorpions which may take some getting used to, but, like any insect, good pest control will keep them under control. Can you visit the area? If so I strongly suggest you come out in June or July when our hottest weather is in effect. It is not humid (except during monsoon season) but the heat is no joke!

Old 03-20-2018, 12:52 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyb View Post
My husband has the opportunity to transfer with his company to Phoenix by July of this year. We are currently living in Nashville, TN where we are both from (though we have lived elsewhere). We love Nashville, but the population is absolutely booming and the city and infrastructure can't keep up. Traffic is a nightmare and the overdevelopment is killing any charm this city once had. It is vastly, vastly overpopulated. All this to say, we are looking into the transfer to Phoenix very seriously.

What is it like to raise a family in Phoenix? Is it safe? Is there a lot to do? Are there many young families? We have two preschoolers so school zones won't be an immediate issue, but we would be looking to buy a home and I want to make a smart decision. Are the schools in the Phoenix area as bad as I have read about? To be fair, Tennessee schools are sorely lacking. Are people friendly and are there a lot of social things going on? We would know absolutely nobody in the area and we are pretty social.

What is the general vibe of Phoenix? Is it vibrant, fun, friendly, chill? Is it true that Arizona is conservative without the Religious nature of conservatism? The religious culture in Nashville is oppressing. Going to church is just something that is assumed here, and when meeting new people they will ask you where you go to church before they ask your name. We aren't religious people and I would honestly move just about anywhere to escape the bible belt (and my incredibly religious in-laws down the street) and to meet some interesting people that don't want to talk about Jesus and don't mind if I say bad words.

How fast does the Real Estate market move and are property values steadily improving? What would you say are the safest, most family friendly areas? Is crime a real issue?

Lastly, what is the insect situation like? I pretty much have our exterminator on speed dial out here and I still see bugs in my house almost daily. Tennessee is crawling (puns) with insects and I would love to get away from such a bug infested area.

I realize this is a lot. Any advice or answers to any of the above is much appreciated!
Phoenix is a large city like any other major metropolitan area. It has extremely safe areas and areas that you would probably want to avoid living. Whether there's a lot to do depends on what piques your family's interests. We have professional sports, hiking opportunities, biking, shopping, a wide array of restaurants, and several entertainment venues that routinely attract big name acts. The city is not as cosmopolitan as similar sized cities. We don't have a huge downtown at all, transit is still in developing and expanding, and we lack true ethnic neighborhoods.

As far as schools go, there are quite of few schools of extremely poor quality and a number of schools that are amazing. If you do more research, you'll see that the difference are quite stark between the lowest of the low and the best.

Again, Phoenix is a large city. There are some people who would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. Conversely, there are other people who would snatch that same shirt right off your back. Most people tend to be friendly in person. However, the moment most people get into their cars here all niceness goes out of the window and most everyone allows their ego to take center stage. There are people here who will risk life and limb (yours and theirs) to be first at the traffic light or to get ahead of you no matter what speed you may be going. Signal usage is very poor here, especially compared to neighboring states. Many say that this behavior is not unique to Phoenix. However, the level of road rage here is extremely high. You will likely see more collisions here than most other major cities. I remember drivers in Nashville being pretty wild too, so Phoenix might not be much of a surprise.

Phoenix is generally low key. There are very few times where I feel like I live in a metropolitan area with almost 5 million other people. 99 percent of the Phoenix area, known as "the Valley," is suburban and relatively low density compared to other major cities. The restaurant scene here is much better than I think most out of towners would believe. While there is absolutely no shortage of chain restaurants here, there are quite a few trendy local restaurants that truly serve good food. There are some unique neighborhoods scattered throughout the Valley, but honestly most of the area looks identical. The true exceptions to the uniform look of the Valley include areas of Tempe near the university, Central Phoenix, and portions of Scottsdale. Again, however, there are quite a few areas that I didn't mention that are unique in appearance and feel. Phoenix does lack a true urban feel if that's what you're looking for.

Phoenix is likely the least religious city I have ever lived in, next to my hometown of Las Vegas. However, there is still quite a bit of social conservatism about the place. Many here like to believe the Arizona is more libertarian, but it's simple not true. Voters here rarely vote in favor of socially liberal initiatives. When same sex marriage was on the ballot here, it failed. When recreational marijuana was on the ballot, it failed. There are exceptions to this rule, however. Voters did approve a proposed minimum wage hike, voted in favor of banning cigarette smoking in restaurants, bars, and numerous other locations. The governor, without prompting, legalized adoptions by gay couples, in addition to allowing gays to be foster parents. The region is fiscally conservative overall with a somewhat socially conservative population, as well. However, coming from Nashville, Phoenix might be a pleasant surprise.

Real estate prices have jumped substantially from recession lows. Phoenix has some of the most over inflated home prices in the country. The bubble always ends up bursting here and prices will go back to more reasonable levels. Rents here are extremely high relative to even three or four years ago. Some one bedroom apartments that would've rented for $950/month several years ago are charging over $1200/month now. The cheapest options tend to be in the extreme east and west Valleys (Buckeye, San Tan Valley, Florence) and in adjacent Pinal County (Casa Grande, Maricopa, etc). The most family friendly areas would be scattered around much of Gilbert and Chandler. However, there are many areas scattered throughout that are perfectly fine for raising a family without any external "issues."

Crime is an issue in certain neighborhoods, while conversely almost non-existent in others. Gilbert and Chandler both seem to have numerous neighborhoods that are generally crime free. However, crime can happen anywhere at any time. Scottsdale, which is often billed as being one of the wealthier towns in AZ (Orange County of the desert), can still take the spotlight on the news for crime that occurs throughout the city.

The bugs here are nothing like the South. There are still crickets, cicadas, flies, aggressive bees, wasps, termites and gnats, but it's not that bad compared to many areas.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyb View Post

Have you been to PHX? Come in late July, see if you like it. PHX is much larger than Nashville, and growing much faster. If you think Nashville is "booming", we make Trashville look like its growing at a snail's pace. I don't think PHX is going to be for you.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Have you been to PHX? Come in late July, see if you like it. PHX is much larger than Nashville, and growing much faster. If you think Nashville is "booming", we make Trashville look like its growing at a snail's pace. I don't think PHX is going to be for you.
Nashville is an awesome city. What's "trashy" about it? We can't compete when it comes to music, entertainment and food, but as our resident curmudgeon so eloquently put, we are growing very quickly. The difference is that we are growing outward and at least for the foreseeable future, we have the infrastructure to support it. Nashville summers are disgusting so I don't think weather will really be much of a factor.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Nobody here is going to ask you where you go to church - especially as an opener. Like TN, the rural areas here are more conservative than the cities. People are fond of remarking how "red" we are, but don't seem to realize that in Maricopa County where the vast majority of the Phoenix metro is, Mr. Trump won the election by a mere 40,000 votes out of 1.2 million cast. He lost in Tucson (Pima) and Flagstaff. But outside of those areas, it is a pretty conservative bunch of anti-government types. The state allocation of legislative seats gives an outsized proportion to the rural areas, too, and legislators from those areas are fond of introducing way out there social control initiatives that get press, but often fail to get past committee. Anyway, compared to TN overall, this is satan's back yard.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:42 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Nashville is an awesome city. What's "trashy" about it? We can't compete when it comes to music, entertainment and food, but as our resident curmudgeon so eloquently put, we are growing very quickly. The difference is that we are growing outward and at least for the foreseeable future, we have the infrastructure to support it. Nashville summers are disgusting so I don't think weather will really be much of a factor.
I recall reading that Nashville is the sprawl capital of the US. Having visited I can see why as homes stretch out on large lots for miles and miles from the city center. Here, where we like to say we have sprawl, we are packed in like sardines on lots so small that our newer areas are little more than row houses. I don't know that I would like to mow two acres, but coming from that to Phoenix would be a severe shock.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I recall reading that Nashville is the sprawl capital of the US. Having visited I can see why as homes stretch out on large lots for miles and miles from the city center. Here, where we like to say we have sprawl, we are packed in like sardines on lots so small that our newer areas are little more than row houses. I don't know that I would like to mow two acres, but coming from that to Phoenix would be a severe shock.
Maybe, but their core is growing like crazy too. Last time I was there, the skyline was dotted with cranes building condos.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,210 times
Thank you for all of the detailed replies. This is very helpful!

I don't mind large cities, as I went to college in NYC and lived there for several years after. So the fact that Nashville is booming isn't the issue, it's that the city can't keep up. There is no parking to be found, the interstates are parking lots no matter what time of day. There is no rush hour, it's every hour of every day. Anyway, I love big cities if the cities are made to be big cities. If that makes sense!

I have been to Arizona once, to Tucson for a week for work. I though it was beautiful, but I don't know how Tucson compares to Phoenix, and it was January when I was there. We do have a trip planned to Phoenix in May (April if we can swing it) but the decision to transfer will need to be made before then most likely. My husband will likely be out there a lot before we move the whole family, if we decide to. This transfer option was sprung on us.

Thank you for all of the insight!

ETA: Nashville summers ARE disgusting. 90-100s with 80% humidity most days. Just a sticky mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area