Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 09:26 AM

169 posts, read 198,747 times

Advertisements

Hello there.
My husband and I are interested in building in a planned community like Estrella Mtn, Verrado, Morrison Ranch etc. I’ve never done this before and don’t know what to look for, pay attention to. ask about, etc. with the builders.If you’ve done this, what do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 12:46 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Plan on spending 20% more than you expect and want to spend. No, I'm not kidding.

And, whatever you do, don't even go visit the model homes without your realtor. Yes, you ABSOLUTELY need one to represent you.

If possible, try to avoid having the builder do anything you can get done later by hiring your own service provider. Things like window treatment, additional landscaping, sun shades, etc.

Do have the builder do structural changes and, in some cases, upgrades to stuff that's already included. For example, if you want to upgrade the floors or countertops, let the builder do it because your base price already includes a portion of the total cost. Let the builder put in extra can lights and electric outlets (suggestion; get one under the sinks in the master bedroom vanities. Great for hiding electric toothbrushes hairdryers, water picks, etc.)

Take photos of the electrical and plumbing BEFORE the drywall goes up. You have no idea how helpful this may be in the future.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:15 PM

110 posts, read 119,209 times
I really like planned communities. They are typically pretty nice.

It probably is a good idea to bring a realtor with you. That will be one of the first questions you will get from the sales rep. "Do you already have a realtor?" Sometimes you can sneak into the model homes without anyone bothering you (which is what I always try to do)

I think I said this before in a previous thread, but ask if they have any spec homes. Spec homes are typically the base version of the floor plan. In my opinion, they give you an idea of what the house is like without all the fancy features and furnishings of a model home.

I have also heard that it is a good idea to hire your own building inspector. The building company hires one of it's own building inspectors to look at the house. But, I think it is a good idea to hire your own building inspector.

Morrison Ranch is a great community! The most recent subdivision (Warner Groves) is almost closed out. But Lake View Trails South is expected to be open mid-2018.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:59 PM

169 posts, read 198,747 times
Thank you both you so much. I’ll update!

Old 03-25-2018, 07:58 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
I really like planned communities. They are typically pretty nice.

It probably is a good idea to bring a realtor with you. That will be one of the first questions you will get from the sales rep. "Do you already have a realtor?" Sometimes you can sneak into the model homes without anyone bothering you (which is what I always try to do)

I think I said this before in a previous thread, but ask if they have any spec homes. Spec homes are typically the base version of the floor plan. In my opinion, they give you an idea of what the house is like without all the fancy features and furnishings of a model home.

I have also heard that it is a good idea to hire your own building inspector. The building company hires one of it's own building inspectors to look at the house. But, I think it is a good idea to hire your own building inspector.
Yes, DO hire the realtor. I'd suggest before you visit ANY model homes. Some builders are very, very sticky on this (we know several buyers that got stung with Del Webb refusing to pay the realtor after the buyers went to the model before hiring one.)

Our experience with model homes is that they are built with every damned option available, sometimes even ones that the builder doesn't offer. Specs have ranged from basic (as Andrew describes) to very upgraded. Probably depends on the local market and specific builder.

Building inspector - Andrew is spot on, and I forgot this one in my PP. Definitely hire your own. I'd suggest one person and two inspections - one pre drywall, one just before closing. Our inspector found one BIG issue that didn't affect the house for our use but would have been a nightmare to resolve when we eventually resell the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area