Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:10 PM

383 posts, read 639,176 times

Advertisements

I live in Tampa and have the good possibility of losing my home in the next few hours because of Irma.
This entire ordeal is way to stressful to ever go through again.
Does Phoenix have any natural disasters? Wind storms, floods, fires? I am so over hurricanes, tropical storms, humidity, mosquitoes etc.
I am looking into a place to live in the southwest where I could enjoy life without worrying that my life is going to be taken or my home destroyed.
Any imput is greatly appreciated. Please send positive thoughts my way. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 02:19 PM

7,333 posts, read 12,409,918 times
The worst we typically get are severe thunderstorms and flash floods. Tornadoes are rare, and we don't get hurricanes except for their remnants. One thing we are known for though are dust storms, or "haboobs".

Old 09-09-2017, 02:28 PM

Are the dust storms life threatening?

Old 09-09-2017, 02:29 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,750,988 times
Aside from dust storms and flash floods (we don't get much rain) our most common disasters are wrong way drivers on tbe highways!!! Don't understand it, but it happens more than it should.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:31 PM

We have wrong way drivers here too, and they have taken many lives.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,750,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
We have wrong way drivers here too, and they have taken many lives.
My advice is to see what's left after Irma passes and if you're still interested come out and see for yourself. Fear of natural disasters is not something we give much thought to out here.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:40 PM

346 posts, read 551,834 times
The Phoenix metro area has a much lower risk of natural disasters than the majority of the U.S. (which is why my home insurance is about 75% less than it was when I lived in tornado alley, earthquake country or Colorado, land of hail and wildfire). If mother nature wants you, she will get you - no place is risk free. Happily, the odds of any of kind of natural disaster happening in the metro Phoenix area are smaller than practically anywhere else in the country. The only thing we worry about on a regular basis is the risk of flash floods (never seen one but I pay attention to the warnings) and wind damage (to roofs and the like) during monsoon season oh, and the occasional dust storm. (Never seen a life threatening one of those but I pay attention to the warnings we get once or twice a year and know what to do if I am driving during one).

Every year when that 120 degree week or two arrives and I wonder why I live here I remind myself of how much fun I didn't have living through the Loma Prieta earthquake, tornadoes in Oklahoma and evacuating during wildfires and replacing hail damaged roofs in CO. (The lack of high humidity and mosquitoes during the summer helps, too.) That holds me over until late fall and winter when the reason I love it here is easily apparent just by stepping outside!

Old 09-09-2017, 03:50 PM

369 posts, read 272,365 times
Default Wind is the main threat.

We get some big microbursts in the summer. It seems like every week in July or August some part of the Valley has power lines down, trees blown over, and homes damaged from a monsoon storm. Floods are hardly ever a problem with these storms, wind is the biggest nuisance.

Heat is the big thing to worry about here, it's expected because it's America's hottest city. At least heat doesn't flood your house or cause other natural disasters.

Phoenix is a great place to live if you don't want to put up with wide spread flooding, hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, tornadoes, or blizzards.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:58 PM

406 posts, read 627,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Are the dust storms life threatening?
The most dangerous part of a dust storm is their sudden appearance and reduced visibility, a definite hazard for motorists.

It should be noted markeg that another thread receiving a lot of attention had to do with someone wanting to relocate to the southwest because of metaphorically greener grass. You are obviously caught up in the moment now with the impending storm, which is very understandable.

My point is to please take more things into consideration before making a big move with avoiding natural disasters as your primary motive.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,771,808 times
All of the above and the no snow thing is why I want to retire to Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area