Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 AM

17 posts, read 17,825 times

Advertisements

I posted this in another forum, everyone suggested I post here in the Phoenix forum so here it is:

Hi everyone, i been around the forums for a little while reading and everyone seems to be pretty helpful, so i figure i would take a chance. I live in upstate, NY and my youngest son just graduated HS. I am ready for a change, ive been a single mom for many years and raised my 3 children alone. Ive decided to go west to get away from all the snow & cold weather, I have been diagnosedwith Fibro & Lupus so i can no longer deal with hit

I wanted to move to Vegas, I was thinking Henderson or Summerlin, i really like an all inclusively places that opened there and there have been some job opportunities that have come my way. the problem is that my youngest that graduated HS, doesn't want to move to Vegas. The other place that i've been looking at is Arizona, i done my research and iv'e been looking at Chandler, Gilbert, & Scottsdale (maybe Phoenix). Right now i am do to come into Chandler for an interview in about 2 weeks (has changed to September) & im waiting also for something in Scottsdale and yes my son would move to Arizona. My oldest son is looking for out of state jobs, either in accounting or police recruit. My middle one my daughter wants to stay in NY and has moved in with her best friend, so i don't have to worry about her, but there's no room for my youngest to stay.

My question to everyone is can anyone suggest good places to rent that have all inclusive apartments? what part of the places I mentioned would be good places to look into. I'm looking for friendly places, & colleges.

I work as Admin Assistant, but i've also applied as dispatcher and most anything that has to do with office work. Which Airport would be best to come into for Chandler, would be easy to go to scottsdale from chandler? I have so many questions, I probably dont make sense, so please help me with how is Arizona living and what i should know.

Would a 18 yr enjoy living in AZ? I like dancing, music, movies, walks, taking in the culture, taking classes. I'm single so i would like to meet new people, not necessary for dating but, ill be new in a new place so i want to be able to do things where i can enjoy and not feel like an out cast. Also and this is important, every apartment i've seen on zillow or apartment.com is electric, I like cooking with gas, are there any apartments have gas? Is it easy to get around? bussing? cabs? I do plan to bring a car, hopefully. I'm not sure what else to ask, so if you have any advice feel free. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 09:05 AM

4,060 posts, read 5,212,948 times
Hmm...well if you have been reading the forums you will understand that the Phoenix Metro is bigger than CT and RI combined. First bit of advice from those living here...live near where you work. From Chandler to Scottsdale (depending on where in each city) you can figure about 30 minutes with light traffic.

I can't really comment on all inclusive Apartments...when we were living in apartments years ago, we always paid for our own utilities. If you don't...the landlord averages all usage, adds a buffer to cover themselves and you end up paying more for utilities than you wold if you just set them up yourself. Besides...if you are conserving energy and your neighbor has their AC set to 70 in the summer...you end up paying for them eventually.

Young adults in PHX? Lots to do, lots of opportunity as far as schooling (ASU, GCU, Community Colleges), lots of outdoor activities, music festivals, sports, etc. Just need to get plugged into what is going on and depends on what he is into.

The oldest? Chandler PD is hiring police recruits, not sure about some of the others...pretty good starting salaries as well. I believe they were looking for dispatchers as well so you may want to look into them.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,129,039 times
Hi there:

The only airport choice is Sky Harbor (Phoenix) and you would get to Chandler via the expressways which are easy access. Watch out for wrong way drivers though !! The 101 expressway from Chandler would take you into Scottsdale if that's where you end up working. Very important to know your job situation so you then can make a choice about rental . Why not consider renting a house? Many choices there. Just contact a RE agent (any) for help in your chosen area.

Lots to do for young people. ASU may be your son's destination?
Why not update this once you know where you will work? Then more help to advise you is available.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:21 PM

26 posts, read 29,151 times
My family will also be moving to AZ from NY. We looked at Las Vegas as well, but settled on AZ. We will likely end up in North Phoenix or North Central as we plan on opening a business in Central or North Central Phoenix.

I would not bank on public transportation. The Valley is huge. On our last scouting trip we logged over 700 miles in 6 days of driving around.

We will be renting a house for 6-12 months and then buying one once we settle on more specific areas so I can't comment on your apartment search.

The ASU area of Tempe is pretty much a college students dream for nightlife. Scottsdale is where you graduate to the next level of nightlife, and it also has a lot of shopping and dining options. I think most 18yr olds who are not from AZ would enjoy it there. We own a store here in NY where a lot of college students frequent and we have met several who go to ASU and return to NY each summer. Every one of them has had nothing but positive things to say about ASU and the Valley.

We're not too familiar with Chandler, but we did check out Gilbert during our first trip to AZ. It is a nice, clean, quiet and sprawling suburban city. It seemed very family friendly. However, we didn't see many (if any) apartments while there. Something we didn't like was that it seemed overly "cookie cutter." It is also dominated by HOA's and that is something we wish to avoid. And while there are mountains in some areas of the Valley, Gilbert seemed very flat.

Most of our research has focused on Phoenix and a little bit of Scottsdale. Once we found shopping centers that we liked for our business in Central Phoenix we started to focus more on the surrounding areas.

Good luck and let us know if you have any specific questions that we might be able to help you with.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:43 AM

thank you for reply. What part of NY are you from? I'm upstate NY, orange county. my son does know about ASU, so he wouldnt mind going there. I hear Phoenix is extremely hot, thats why i left it as my last pick. Scottsdale, seemed to have a little bit of everything, and like I said since i'm single mom, i would like to live where there's more to do, and it seems scottsdale & phoenix fits that.

Looking for work is my number one priority now, since i cant fly back and forth, im just hoping something comes thru and then everything should be much easier. I think i will be renting as well, i say apartment, but if i can find a good deal on renting a house then i will do that instead

Must be exciting to start a business, i wish you all the best and a great grand opening.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 AM

163 posts, read 208,273 times
Hi there. I figured I'd chime in since I moved to AZ (Mesa) 4 years ago from NY (Dutchess County). I love it here. The temps here are virtually identical to Vegas so that shouldn't be a factor for you. Vegas may be a couple of degrees cooler but it's negligible. There are tons of things to do here for people of all ages and my son goes to ASU and loves it. It's great value for in state residents too.

I go to Vegas every year but I imagine that if I lived there I'd probably not go to the strip all that much so it would be pretty much like living here except Vegas is significantly smaller.

As for apartments, they're all over the place but the nicer ones will not include utilities.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:31 AM

90 posts, read 70,151 times
AZ has more to do than Las Vegas, in my opinion.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,295,951 times
Vegas is noticeably cooler - but still very hot

As someone who grew up in Steuben County, I enjoy it out here.

There are a lot of great places to live all over the metro.

Find a job, find a place close to work that is safe and has access to what you enjoy - just don't disregard a section because you haven't explored it and peeled back to see what is there

Phoenix, Chandler, Scottsdale, Peoria, Surprise, Goodyear, Mesa....... It's all Phoenix - just replicating sprawl - you can drive single roads 30-40 miles, cross multiple cities and never have your view change that much

There are slight temperature differences, but nothing drastic - pros and cons, etc .... It's all very individualized though

Stay open minded

Without school aged kids you don't have to pay a premium to land in a more favorable school district

Phoenix gets knocked for culture, but there is a ton of stuff going on here all the time - it's a large city, but not condensed ..... Nothing is held to a single area or two, which dilutes perception

I enjoy it here - I enjoy being only a couple hours away from the forest.

It is very different than back east though and you'll either like it or not

Old 09-10-2018, 10:01 AM

Thank you all for all your responses, as of now my son started his first year of college here in upstate new york while i work on things and look for work. Im still looking to move to Arizona and looking for a job, i think thats the best way to go. I still once in a while think maybe vegas, but since arizona is so close i can always visit, vegas. Im not a gambler so the strip is not a big deal to me, but i did like it alot when i visited. I'm giving my son some time to get adjusted to college, and hoping my oldest something comes thru for him as he cant pay the mortgage , on the house should i leave NY.

But mom needs a change, and a new beginning, so im hoping in the next year things change for all of us, and i can make that move that i so much need. My job here is not going anywhere and it probably will be around for 2 years and then i will have no job, so before that happens i want to be ready.

wish my family luck and thank you. this board is great.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 AM

277 posts, read 279,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes05 View Post
I posted this in another forum, everyone suggested I post here in the Phoenix forum so here it is:

Hi everyone, i been around the forums for a little while reading and everyone seems to be pretty helpful, so i figure i would take a chance. I live in upstate, NY and my youngest son just graduated HS. I am ready for a change, ive been a single mom for many years and raised my 3 children alone. Ive decided to go west to get away from all the snow & cold weather, I have been diagnosedwith Fibro & Lupus so i can no longer deal with hit

I wanted to move to Vegas, I was thinking Henderson or Summerlin, i really like an all inclusively places that opened there and there have been some job opportunities that have come my way. the problem is that my youngest that graduated HS, doesn't want to move to Vegas. The other place that i've been looking at is Arizona, i done my research and iv'e been looking at Chandler, Gilbert, & Scottsdale (maybe Phoenix). Right now i am do to come into Chandler for an interview in about 2 weeks (has changed to September) & im waiting also for something in Scottsdale and yes my son would move to Arizona. My oldest son is looking for out of state jobs, either in accounting or police recruit. My middle one my daughter wants to stay in NY and has moved in with her best friend, so i don't have to worry about her, but there's no room for my youngest to stay.

My question to everyone is can anyone suggest good places to rent that have all inclusive apartments? what part of the places I mentioned would be good places to look into. I'm looking for friendly places, & colleges.

I work as Admin Assistant, but i've also applied as dispatcher and most anything that has to do with office work. Which Airport would be best to come into for Chandler, would be easy to go to scottsdale from chandler? I have so many questions, I probably dont make sense, so please help me with how is Arizona living and what i should know.

Would a 18 yr enjoy living in AZ? I like dancing, music, movies, walks, taking in the culture, taking classes. I'm single so i would like to meet new people, not necessary for dating but, ill be new in a new place so i want to be able to do things where i can enjoy and not feel like an out cast. Also and this is important, every apartment i've seen on zillow or apartment.com is electric, I like cooking with gas, are there any apartments have gas? Is it easy to get around? bussing? cabs? I do plan to bring a car, hopefully. I'm not sure what else to ask, so if you have any advice feel free. Thank you

In my oppinion Vegas is a much tougher town and environment than Phoenix is. The desert in Vegas is harsh with almost no greenery or large vegetation at all, the city itself is dependent on the gaining industry and that by itself brings a seedy element to the town.

It’s not the kind of place I would want to live.

Anything you can find in Vegas you can find in Phoenix and it’s probably nicer here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area