Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Some of the most hardcore Christian areas on the planet are some of the Mormon communities in Arizona, as well as places like Nogales, which is 90% Catholic. The roots of Arizona are both conservative and Christian. An entire army of New England lesbians isn't going to change that.
Roots, perhaps, but that doesn't have relevance on what it's like actually living here in present time. A southerner who goes around mentioning their religion as soon as they open their mouth will be very out of place here. That's the point. The whole, "what church do you attend?" thing is not a normal conversation starter here.

And where exactly is this army you speak of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 11:03 AM

566 posts, read 573,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Roots, perhaps, but that doesn't have relevance on what it's like actually living here in present time. A southerner who goes around mentioning their religion as soon as they open their mouth will be very out of place here. That's the point. The whole, "what church do you attend?" thing is not a normal conversation starter here.

And where exactly is this army you speak of?

We are Christians who just moved here (but not from the deep south) and this is accurate IMO. My cul de sac is pretty liberal (including us) and our Mormon neighbor happily invites the two gay couples on our block to her cookie exchange. We're in North Phoenix. This isn't the bible belt.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
We are Christians who just moved here (but not from the deep south) and this is accurate IMO. My cul de sac is pretty liberal (including us) and our Mormon neighbor happily invites the two gay couples on our block to her cookie exchange. We're in North Phoenix. This isn't the bible belt.

I'd like to live in your neighborhood. That's as it should be.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:22 AM

It's pretty great!

Old 12-23-2018, 07:45 PM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
OP,

Please keep in mind many (fairly good chance "most") people who hang out on CD do not hold a biblical world view. This is probably not the best forum to get a ton of wise counsel regarding a move for you and your spouse given your stated views.

Considering that the population of metro Phoenix is 4 million and growing there are very few healthy Christian churches that teach sound doctrine. If you hold "reformed doctrinal views" then fewer yet. I would strongly recommend that you find a good church first then find a home. Otherwise you may find yourself driving a good distance for worship and fellowship.

East valley is not a bad place for rentals if you want to test drive before you buy. Prescott Valley vs Phoenix is apples vs golf balls. Phoenix has all of the amenities and conveniences of any large city. Prescott Valley is more bumpkinville... but the climate is much more comfortable in the summer for sure.

As far as "greatest natural threat"? If I were in your shoes I would say real estate agents.

May God bless your quest.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
If I were thinking about the greatest natural threat, it would be a water shortage.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:15 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Jumping into the debate on just how religious Arizona is, it ranks 28th in church attendance compared to 13th North Carolina where OP is currently living....so roughly in the middle to just below the middle in the USA.

https://blog.capterra.com/church-att...tate-stack-up/

To me Arizona is more libertarian than anything else.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Jumping into the debate on just how religious Arizona is, it ranks 28th in church attendance compared to 13th North Carolina where OP is currently living....so roughly in the middle to just below the middle in the USA.

https://blog.capterra.com/church-att...tate-stack-up/

To me Arizona is more libertarian than anything else.
Here’s a slightly more recent “study” that lists Phoenix as one of the least “bible-minded” metros in the country. Phoenix is just not a place where religion takes a center stage in daily life for most, and I suspect that over time that will become even more true.

https://www.americanbible.org/featur...-minded-cities

Old 12-24-2018, 09:01 AM

Arizona may rank 28th as a whole but Phoenix ranks as the 8th least bible minded city by NPR

http://https://www.npr.org/sections/...ies-in-the-u-s

There are plenty of great churches here. We love ours. However, I don't think you will find neighborhoods that have an overly conservative religious feel to them.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:08 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Arizona may rank 28th as a whole but Phoenix ranks as the 8th least bible minded city by NPR

http://https://www.npr.org/sections/...ies-in-the-u-s

There are plenty of great churches here. We love ours. However, I don't think you will find neighborhoods that have an overly conservative religious feel to them.
Conversely, the Phoenix area is not a hotbed of atheism, agnosticism or satanism. The southern latitude may confuse some considering moving here, but the Phoenix metro reflects the values and customs of the people who have moved here in the past few decades and make up the bulk of the population. Their origins are primarily the upper midwest, California, and Mexico. None of that is southern bible belt - just pretty much middle America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area