Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 02:42 AM

502 posts, read 392,031 times

Advertisements

Is it a good idea to move from San Antonio to Phoenix? I'm looking for a dryer city with a richer Latino culture and heritage. Phoenix seems interesting to me. I'm either going to become a barber or go into IT; how're these professions/industries in Phoenix?

I like to stay close to Latino/Mexican culture, by what I see Phoenix offers more of this than San Antonio, is that accurate? Any other advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 05:58 AM

700 posts, read 919,751 times
Tucson has more Native/Spanish/Mexican culture; and it is a desert city. Tucson was a native American community at the base of Sentinel Peak downtown ("A" Mountain) for thousands of years (and still is) before the Spanish founded their presidio there in 1775. It can still be seen around the Tucson Museum of Art block, where it has been restored into a historic venue. Tucson became Mexican when they gained their independence from Spain; and then was bought in the Gadsden Purchase of 1853 and became a territory of the USA. Lots of culture if that is what you are looking for.

Phoenix was never a Spanish or Mexican town; in fact it wasn't an American town until 1867. It's a new place from that standpoint and many more. People who are fond of mid-century American style and culture have a lot to see. But it does have a rich prehistory as a native American settlement. 80,000 Hohokam lived and farmed by the Salt River over the centuries before they disappeared.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
I would stay in San Antonio. Phoenix isn't a great city. For a city of its size, the quality of jobs is abysmally poor. That was the reason that I relocated from Phoenix to Texas. Job quality is likely as high, if not higher in San Antonio. San Antonio is in Texas, a state with a pro-business atmosphere partially due to no state income tax. Your life is better in San Antonio than it would be in Phoenix. There's no sense in uprooting your life to move San Antonio to Phoenix.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:37 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Phoenix is much larger than San Antonio and we’re also a very diverse city, I wold not say one culture dominates here as residents come from all walks of life. My neighborhood and workplace has people from all over the country and world. Be it Asian, European, South American, and of course we have a large share of Mexican and Latino people has well. There are parts of Phoenix with a dominanr Latino population, the South side for example but in general we’re fairly diverse across the metro.

I don’t know much about barbers, other than you’ll find everything from Super Cuts to very upscale saloons across the region. So you could take your pick if you go that route.

The IT segment in Phoenix is booming, with an educarion and some experience you’d have no trouble finding a quality job here. The link below is a CBRE report on Phoenix tech that shows recent growth trends that continue to add more tech jobs to the region. As of 2016 there were 86,000 tech jobs and throughout 2017-2018 there’s been 1,000’s more announced.

http://www.cbre.us/people-and-office...nix-tech-story

Old 01-05-2019, 07:38 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,047 times
From my time in both cities, I would say San Antonio has a much richer Latino culture. Phoenix has been primarily constituted over the decades by midwesterners seeking a warmer climate.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
From my time in both cities, I would say San Antonio has a much richer Latino culture. Phoenix has been primarily constituted over the decades by midwesterners seeking a warmer climate.
If that were the case this list would look much different.

Where do Arizona residents come from?
1. 38% were born here
2. 9% are from California
3. 4% from Illinois
4. 3% New York
5. 2% Texas
6. 2% Ohio

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...e-from-7287528

Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Phoenix is much larger than San Antonio and we’re also a very diverse city, I wold not say one culture dominates here as residents come from all walks of life. My neighborhood and workplace has people from all over the country and world. Be it Asian, European, South American, and of course we have a large share of Mexican and Latino people has well. There are parts of Phoenix with a dominanr Latino population, the South side for example but in general we’re fairly diverse across the metro.

I don’t know much about barbers, other than you’ll find everything from Super Cuts to very upscale saloons across the region. So you could take your pick if you go that route.

The IT segment in Phoenix is booming, with an educarion and some experience you’d have no trouble finding a quality job here. The link below is a CBRE report on Phoenix tech that shows recent growth trends that continue to add more tech jobs to the region. As of 2016 there were 86,000 tech jobs and throughout 2017-2018 there’s been 1,000’s more announced.

The Phoenix Tech Story | CBRE
Don't mean to nitpick your post but wouldn't South Americans be Latinos also?Sorry just made me chuckle.

Thanks for your post though I'm interested in the desert climate of Phoenix and if it has a strong IT sector then I'll definitely keep looking into it.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I would stay in San Antonio. Phoenix isn't a great city. For a city of its size, the quality of jobs is abysmally poor. That was the reason that I relocated from Phoenix to Texas. Job quality is likely as high, if not higher in San Antonio. San Antonio is in Texas, a state with a pro-business atmosphere partially due to no state income tax. Your life is better in San Antonio than it would be in Phoenix. There's no sense in uprooting your life to move San Antonio to Phoenix.
Yea a lot of people tell me it's not really worth the move but I do like the desert climate and I need a change in my life.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
I see a lotta raza out there in Phoenix (like on social media,TV etc) but I guess I have to visit to see what it's really like.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I see a lotta raza out there in Phoenix (like on social media,TV etc) but I guess I have to visit to see what it's really like.
Sounds like you're already sold on Phoenix, ese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: