Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 5,557 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family is looking to relocate to the greater Phoenix area in the next 6 months, and I'd really like to get some local opinions and advice about a few particular areas that we are focusing our search around.

We are Pacific NW natives, having spent our entire lives in the Seattle suburbs. Now, we are looking for a family-friendly community where we can lead an active, outdoor-focused lifestyle, where our kids (2 elementary aged and 1 toddler) can grow up in a community with great neighborhood schools and amenities. We really like master planned communities with walking trails, pools, parks within walking distance, and HOAs to ensure that properties are well maintained.

Our wish list for a new home includes the following, with a price range up to about $550K:

4 bedrooms + Office Space(I'll be working from home)
2,300+ sq. ft.
Lot Size 7K+ sq. ft.
Open floor plan/kitchen with great room
We would PREFER a newer ranch (1-story) and a 3-car garage, but those aren't deal-breakers.

So far our areas of interest and focus include the following, in no particular order:

Anthem - Schools look to be pretty good, but would like to hear more detail, differences between the elementary schools, and if anyone has any specific experience with them. Is the country club neighborhood family-friendly? Can you walk to parks from there? Are there many young families?

Estrella/Estrella Mountain Ranch - We like the options of new build homes here, and it looks to be very walkable and with excellent amenities. Love all the palm trees! However, we've heard mixed thoughts and reviews on the schools here, especially the high school (Estrella Foothills High). For example, apparently a kid brought loaded guns and knives to school just a couple months ago. Is it a tough place for teenagers? Are there big quality differences in the homes with so many individual neighborhoods and builders? Is the newer (south) section as walkable as the older portion, near the lakes?

Gilbert/Chandler - I know that this isn't a specific MPC like the first two, but with all the attention these communities get for excellent schools and livability, we are looking closely here as well. Researching the schools is somewhat overwhelming given the number of different districts, neighborhood schools, and charters. Any thoughts or advice here? Chandler vs. Gilbert vs. Higley School District? I keep seeing Power Ranch pop up as a good family community, any experience here? Lastly, in Gilbert, is the area mostly Mormon? We are a non-denominational Christian family, and wouldn't want our kids to be the "odd ones out" because 80% of the kids at school are a different faith. On various other threads I've read conflicting accounts of that happening.

It's also important to note that since I will be working from home, commute is not really a concern for us (which I know can make a huge difference in the valley!)

Thank you, in advance, for reading and offering your thoughts and suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM

566 posts, read 573,661 times
We just relocated here from the NYC area and wanted very similar things to your wish list. You can everything you want (minus the newer home) in Moon Valley. Super community and family oriented (neighbors doing neighborly things together), great schools, right up against North Mountain for hiking and mountain biking, every amenity within 2-5 minutes away, close to things Central Phoenix has to offer. No community pools here but most of the houses have private pools. Large lots. We are in an older HOA so we do have very manicured homes, no giant boats or RVs parked in driveways etc.. because there are rules about that. So the homes are mostly ranches built in the 80's. Ours is just shy of 2700 sq. ft. 4 bedrooms, and a space that could be an office, on almost 0.3 acres with mountain views in every direction and we paid under $500k for it. I've been to Anthem and Gilbert and they feel very suburban and out there to me, especially Anthem (almost just like people plopped houses, stores, and a few restaurants in the middle of no where). Some people love that. Moon Valley has a little bit more of an urban feel with walkability to parks and schools.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:08 PM

5 posts, read 5,557 times
Thanks, Ringler24, really appreciate that perspective. I'm sure coming from NYC, almost everything feels suburban! It's all relative, right? I will definitely take a look at that area, though we will be coming from a home built in 1989, and we've done A LOT of updating and home improvement in the 5-6 years since we've owned it, so we are definitely hoping to find something more modern or completely done this time around.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:33 PM

There's a lot of homes here that have been recently redone top to bottom. Our home is updated and not even the original floor plan of the house. You could easily find something totally turn key in your budget.

This one is overpriced and below the bedrooms you want, but just to give you an idea:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/15_zm/1_rs/

Old 01-09-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSeekerDad19 View Post
Thanks, Ringler24, really appreciate that perspective. I'm sure coming from NYC, almost everything feels suburban! It's all relative, right? I will definitely take a look at that area, though we will be coming from a home built in 1989, and we've done A LOT of updating and home improvement in the 5-6 years since we've owned it, so we are definitely hoping to find something more modern or completely done this time around.

Oh and we had moved outside of NYC for about 4 years before coming here. Anthem for sure feels like a suburb plopped in the middle of nowhere. Gilbert has a slightly more normal suburban feel to me.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:24 PM

640 posts, read 957,632 times
I would add Vistancia to your list. I know a couple of people that live there and they seem to really like it.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:28 PM

175 posts, read 372,229 times
Plenty of information about Anthem can be found here. http://www.onlineatanthem.com/reside...uide/index.php

Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSeekerDad19 View Post
Phoenix is an objectively suburban place. It’s just the nature of the city.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 AM

110 posts, read 119,186 times
I would go with Gilbert personally. Have you thought about Queen Creek? Maybe Eastmark in Mesa might also work? Those are just some ideas. There are some nice communities there and it is typically less expensive than Gilbert. However, if I was in your position I think I would go with Gilbert. I really like the communities there.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 6,698 times
I can’t speak for all of the areas you mentioned, but my family and I live in Gilbert in
a master-planned community. We used to rent in Power Ranch and loved it there, but we ended up going with a new build in another community. We have a Gilbert address but are in the Chandler school district (which is typically the #1 district in AZ). Our neighbors love the schools! My kids are 4 and 2, so I don’t have personal experience with schools yet.

As for the Mormon population... we’re non denominational Christian too, and we have no problems being around a high Mormon population. Mormons make for great neighbors. My son attends an at-home preschool run by a Mormon neighbor, and its been great for him. We love Rock Point Church on Power Rd south of Chandler Heights! It’s non-denominational and has a great pastor and kids programs.

We have friends that live in Estrella Mountain Ranch, and it seems like a beautiful community. It’s a bit remote for my tastes though.

We’re moving out of AZ in the future, but if we ever moved back I’d not hesitate choosing Gilbert again. We’d probably consider Queen Creek too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area