Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:14 PM

35 posts, read 75,721 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am very interested in researching some of the areas near Phoenix. My wife and I are moving (when we can, whenever that may be) sometime in the near future. Since the area provides our biggest need (heat/sunshine), I just wanted to get some descriptions on nearby towns in case we wanted to look into it some more.

Any info on pros(recreation, landmarks, local spots, etc.) and cons(crime, pollution, local problems, bugs, anything significant) and what to expect if living in the following areas??? ...

Avondale
Scottsdale
Fountain Hills
Chandler
Peoria
Surprise
Gilbert
Queen Creek

...feel free to add any I missed.

Thanks for any feedback, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM

180 posts, read 656,405 times
All those towns are in the Phoenix area and share most of the same issues of Phoenix. They also have various home pricing with Fountain Hills and Scottdale being the most expensive. However alot depends on what you want for a home and what sparks your interest. The area's are generally too large to worry about crime since a local neighborhood is more critical than the overall area.

Unlike alot of the east coast all these Phoenix suburbs tend to look quite similar and be inhabited by the same people. A $200k house in each of the areas will be different, but spending 100k more might get you the same stuff in Scottsdale as Gilbert. Is it worth that extra 100k. Well all depends on what floats your boat.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
...Well all depends on what floats your boat.
Looking for ...
- Quiet town
- Safe area a must
- Some space, don't want to be on top of each other
- Just need some places to eat (chains ok) and shop (malls, chains ok) .... oh and work too. haha

Don't care about ...
- Clubs/Fancy restaurants
- Trendy/status neighborhood

Old 04-10-2008, 02:11 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,174,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowyer07fan View Post
Looking for ...
- Quiet town
- Safe area a must
- Just need some places to eat (chains ok) and shop (malls, chains ok) .... oh and work too. haha

Don't care about ...
You can find this in just about any of the areas you listed.

Bascially, the Phx metro area is all the same. You can cross the street and be in another city and never know it. There are exceptions though. Scottsdale and Fountain Hills have a different feel than say Avondale. If you take a trip out here you'll understand what I'm talking about.

It depends on your price as to where you live. If you want a $200k home, you won't be living in Scottsdale or Fountain Hills.

How much space do you want between homes? We are pretty close together and to get any land you have to pay a whole lot more or build a custom on some land somewhere.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 PM

180 posts, read 656,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowyer07fan View Post
Looking for ...
- Quiet town
- Safe area a must

Don't care about ...

All those areas have that.. except most don't have much space, but that is the same for any place built after 1980 in the Phoenix metro area. There are some exceptions, but they will cost you $$$$$$$$$$$.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:24 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
Look for houses in Surprise that sit on premium lots (Cul-De-Sac or corner lots)...Surprise has everything that you are looking for.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Look for houses in Surprise that sit on premium lots (Cul-De-Sac or corner lots)...Surprise has everything that you are looking for.
i'll look into Surprise, thanks.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post

Bascially, the Phx metro area is all the same. You can cross the street and be in another city and never know it. There are exceptions though. Scottsdale and Fountain Hills have a different feel than say Avondale. If you take a trip out here you'll understand what I'm talking about.

It depends on your price as to where you live. If you want a $200k home, you won't be living in Scottsdale or Fountain Hills.

How much space do you want between homes? We are pretty close together and to get any land you have to pay a whole lot more or build a custom on some land somewhere.
- probably 300k ceiling
- how many feet usually between homes?

how is maricopa and maricopa village?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,759,139 times
You really should come to AZ and spend a week looking at the different areas. It took us a year of flying back and forth before we settled in N. Peoria. We love it here, but there are many other desirable areas as well. It seem that lately the only new neighbors I have met have been from New Jersey and N.Y. LOL. Best of luck in your search.
I might add that the distance between homes allows us to wash each others windows.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:04 PM

611 posts, read 2,309,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post

I agree sablebaby.

I've seen almost all of Phoenix, except the SE area. So since some posters on here have said good things about Chandler and Gilbert, I thought I would check out those cities when I was in that area about a week ago. It was interesting to see that those cities look just like the rest of the whole Phoenix area, including nice areas and not-so-nice areas. All of the Phoenix area looks mostly the same, with exception of Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, and some areas of Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area