Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times

Advertisements

Once again, we're notable for something that's nothing to be proud of.

Anyone see the PBS Frontline program on sex trafficking in Phoenix? Did you know we're one of the dismal hotspots?

Interesting program (I love Frontline), and it will probably be re-broadcast:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...e-digital-age/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 08:11 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
We're notable for something yet you didn't know anything about it until you watched Frontline? The show is called Sex Trafficking in America not Sex Trafficking in Phoenix.

It starts out talking about sex traffickers bringing in sex workers for big games. It was filmed in Phoenix to illustrate a problem that is all over the country.

It doesn't seem that notable to me.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:05 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
We're notable for something yet you didn't know anything about it until you watched Frontline? The show is called Sex Trafficking in America not Sex Trafficking in Phoenix.

It starts out talking about sex traffickers bringing in sex workers for big games. It was filmed in Phoenix to illustrate a problem that is all over the country.

It doesn't seem that notable to me.
I've watched it awhile back. Like all Frontline shows, it was well done and balanced.

You are right, their point was it happens everywhere. The difference is Phoenix has a unique program that goes after the John's with intensity. Even more so, the traffickers (or what I would call the pimps). Think a plea of 10-25 years in jail. The phrase: "I didn't know she was under 18 because she said she was older..." doesn't work here. Because in PHX, that will earn you jail time plus a life-long "sex offender" status.

Lastly, PHX is taking on a more nurturing role for the women. As in, they want to help them get off the streets versus prosecuting them to the fullest. In other words, the PHX approach is that the prostitute is the victim of the John and trafficker (pimp).

This ^^ was the point of the show plus the excellent, 3 year PBS investigation working with the people who do the undercover work in PHX. But as you say, it's a national problem. A quick google produces dozens to HUNDREDS of arrests all across America. 58 in MPLS recently (see https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/1...he-final-four/ and 339 arrests just in LA in a single operation https://abc7.com/human-trafficking-s...rests/5112123/. So yes, it is a national problem.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:50 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Ah, I see Dominique Roe-Sepowitz is still at it. She supports extrajudicial detainment to send working girls to church.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a...s-to-save-them

Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Ah, I see Dominique Roe-Sepowitz is still at it. She supports extrajudicial detainment to send working girls to church.

Are you saying this is a bad thing?

Old 05-30-2019, 10:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Are you saying this is a bad thing?
Ignorance of The Constitution is reprehensible. Duh.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:09 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:

Nothing comes up for them since 2014...did they go underground or?

Old 05-30-2019, 05:40 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Nothing comes up for them since 2014...did they go underground or?
Great question. One I don't have an answer for. Project Rose may have been discontinued because the Phoenix PD and the religious organizations were starting to catch flak for essentially kidnapping women off the street and threatening them with jail if they didn't enter the program. I had an indirect connection to someone ensnared by Project Rose and used to hear about it a lot 5 years ago.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:01 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
Great question. One I don't have an answer for. Project Rose may have been discontinued because the Phoenix PD and the religious organizations were starting to catch flak for essentially kidnapping women off the street and threatening them with jail if they didn't enter the program. I had an indirect connection to someone ensnared by Project Rose and used to hear about it a lot 5 years ago.
Yeah...it looks like the ACLU got involved and poof...you don't hear about it anymore. Guessing the program "disappeared into the night".

Old 05-31-2019, 04:22 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
I'm surprised Hschick isn't here promoting full blown legalization. In reality, he's correct in principle. The main reason why sex trafficking exists is due to the demand ... and since prostitution is illegal here and in most other parts of the country, the trashy underground segments of the business (street hookers & back page internet whores) are what we get as a result.

Lastly, I can't imagine why anybody would push young underage girls into this kind of thing. It's sickening to say the least. If many of these girls are runaways, homeless, or troubled, the solution is to get to the source of WHY they're runaways, homeless, or troubled. Where are the parents & exemplary role models in their lives, and why were they allowed to become neglected and trafficked?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area