Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,471 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from CA. My husbands job will be in NW Scottsdale. We won’t be able to live in that area due to cost but was looking at a few areas and hoping for insight. Would Chandler/Gilbert area or North Phoenix (17 & 101) be better for traffic? We are a young family and hoping for an area that would have good schools and things for kids/families. Would one of those areas be better for traffic and/or families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
North Phoenix for sure. The daily commute from Gilbert to N Scottsdale will turn your husband into a grouch.

Could you swing 85254? Scottsdale address, but in Phoenix. A little cheaper and much more convenient.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:47 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blg1234 View Post
We are relocating from CA. My husbands job will be in NW Scottsdale. We won’t be able to live in that area due to cost but was looking at a few areas and hoping for insight. Would Chandler/Gilbert area or North Phoenix (17 & 101) be better for traffic? We are a young family and hoping for an area that would have good schools and things for kids/families. Would one of those areas be better for traffic and/or families?
Why would you look at living so far away from work just to save a few bucks on housing? Buying a home is an investment, and something that should be taken seriously ... even if it means paying a little more to live in a good neighborhood and closer to work. The commute from Chandler or Gilbert to north Scottsdale would be horrible, and the commute from I17/101 to north Scottsdale would only be slightly better. I would look at some areas around NE Phoenix that are family friendly, and not so much of a drive for your husband.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:58 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,272,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Why would you look at living so far away from work just to save a few bucks on housing? Buying a home is an investment, and something that should be taken seriously ... even if it means paying a little more to live in a good neighborhood and closer to work. The commute from Chandler or Gilbert to north Scottsdale would be horrible, and the commute from I17/101 to north Scottsdale would only be slightly better. I would look at some areas around NE Phoenix that are family friendly, and not so much of a drive for your husband.
Well, buying your primary residence should never really be treated as an investment. And not all people are simply able to "pay a little more."

As to the OP questions, I've made both trips many times before. I can say that the North Phoenix commute would be much easier than Gilbert/Chandler. Without question. But once again, this is entirely dependent on your budget. How much can you spend? What size house do you need? These questions matter, because housing options and price points are different in the two areas you described.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 4,471 times
We are hoping to stay between 400-500k and would want a pool. The options seems very limited for that in north Phoenix and the homes seem quite a bit smaller, which is why Chandler/Gilbert is the other area we are looking at. We are a family of 5 so hoping for something that we’re not on top of each other. I keep reading how great the Chandler/Gilbert area is for kids/families but there is very little talking about that topic in North Phoenix. Is North Phoenix family friendly for those with young children? My husband will likely only have to deal with rush hour commute in the evening as he can work from home in the mornings and go in later. I understand that ideally we would live within just a few minutes of his work...but for us that is not possible.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
You do know that there’s middle ground between living within a few minutes of work and forcing a hellish commute, right? Of course, living in Scottsdale near his office would be ideal, but you can find comproamise much closer. What about the Desert Ridge area? Not sure if you can get close to what you want for $500k, but it may be worth investigating. Tons of kids there.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
North Phoenix is a similar demographic as Chandler so I think either is fine, but North Phoenix is the better commute. I know a person that works in North Phoenix but prefers to live in SE Chandler, so they bought a Tesla to make the commute easier (HOV lane)

Mountain Gate is the affordable option to Desert Ridge.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:05 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Sorry it's one word: "Mountaingate"

Old 06-07-2019, 09:24 AM

566 posts, read 573,495 times
How big of a house do you feel like you need? As someone who endured years of a spouse with a horrendous commute, is the extra space really that necessary? We have about 2600 square feet in N. Phoenix here with 5 kids and that feels more than adequate and my husband has a 13 minute commute. I wouldn't trade that for more space.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:46 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
North Phoenix is a similar demographic as Chandler so I think either is fine, but North Phoenix is the better commute. I know a person that works in North Phoenix but prefers to live in SE Chandler, so they bought a Tesla to make the commute easier (HOV lane)

Mountain Gate is the affordable option to Desert Ridge.
Even in the HOV in traffic the 101 is really bad heading south in the afternoon. I've spent a lot of time stopped in the HOV lane on that 101. Also noticed I was the only vehicle that had a passenger at times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area