Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:35 AM

9 posts, read 8,481 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

Just moved to South Scottsdale and looking for a gym that has more females (personal trainers and members).

I checked out Independence Gym which seemed to have a fair balance, but haven't looked into any of the corporate gyms yet, like LAfitness or Anytime. I'm just worried that it'll be a lot of meathead guys who get overly handsy with their female clients (this still happens all the time sadly, even in this day and age...)

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 09:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
You might check out Planet Fitness. They aren't primarily one gender or another, but they have a strict "no meatheads" policy and the clientele is more "regular people" just trying to get in shape than your typical meathead gym. They offer free personal training as part of all of their memberships. Again, can't guarantee female ones, but I've been to 4 or 5 locations and they were all women by chance.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:38 AM

656 posts, read 813,064 times
There's a Foxy Boxing place around Thunderbird and Scottsdale Rd. Only hot chicks allowed.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixBabe90 View Post
I’m just worried that it'll be a lot of meathead guys who get overly handsy with their female clients (this still happens all the time sadly, even in this day and age...)

Thanks for any help!
It is a legitimate fear, albeit an overblown one. Curves is an all female gym.

Fewer men than one might think use the gym or fitness classes as a way to meet women. Over the course of my life, I’ve been known to do gym & fitness classes approaches. I’m surprised that more me aren’t doing it. The guys that make those approaches tend to be higher testosterone than those that rely on apps, bars, or social circle because it takes more courage to do approaches while sober during the day. I believe that the most desirable men are the men who approach in gyms, malls, on the street, in grocery stores, etc. due to the fact that it takes the highest degree of intestinal fortitude to do.

As for personal training, having a female trainer is no guarantee that the female trainer won’t get handsy and flirtatious. Many fit females have higher testosterone levels and are lesbian/bisexual.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:24 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
^ Curves is not considered a “gym”.

But nice try.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
^ Curves is not considered a “gym”.

But nice try.
Why is Curves not a gym? There was a critique saying that. I would still call it a gym. It still has pretty strong brand recognition for being all female and in the fitness space. The target market seems to be 40-70 year old females who are not in phenomenal shape. OP is likely not even close to the Curves demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You might check out Planet Fitness. They aren't primarily one gender or another, but they have a strict "no meatheads" policy and the clientele is more "regular people" just trying to get in shape than your typical meathead gym. They offer free personal training as part of all of their memberships. Again, can't guarantee female ones, but I've been to 4 or 5 locations and they were all women by chance.
Planet Fitness is the bottom of the barrel of the big box, corporate gyms. In fact, calling it a gym might even be a misclassification. They have used the slogan "We're not a gym, we're Planet Fitness!". Planet Fitness has a lunk alarm and is not known for serious fitness training. By the name that the OP has chosen, she's attempting to indicate that she's an in shape, 29 year old (90 likely means 1990 as a year of birth).

A lot of the more serious gyms skew more male than female. Even other big box gyms like 24 Hour Fitness and LA Fitness are going to have more male members. Whether she goes to a big box, corporate gym or an independent gym, she is going to get approached by men, although the percentage of men that do gym approaches isn't all that high. A lot of men do not have high enough testosterone to approach a woman in the gym while sober during the day or early evening hours. Many men are relying upon apps like Tinder/Bumble/Hinge with terrible ratios or bars, which often have unspectacular ratios. The guys like myself that have done gym or fitness class approaching deserve a lot of credit.

Some of the guys that will approach her at the gym will do things in a generally classy matter, like I have done and have gotten dates from doing. Yes, there will be more outrageous guys, but the outrageousness in a gym isn't any worse than what goes on while using Tinder/Bumble/Hinge. A lot of men are emboldened by being behind an electronic screen and will act in a way that they wouldn't act in person.

In fitness, things that skew more female tend to be boutique studio class type environments like yoga, Pilates, and Zumba. Even some bigger name studios like Orange Theory and Title Boxing would be skew more female, but men would attend.

Independence Gym, the non-chain gym she checked out, has a decent reputation for fit women and serious training guys. It is a solid choice. She will get hit on at Independence simply because there is a male surplus in her age group and guys at Independence tend to be higher testosterone. Higher testosterone guys are generally a better thing for women than lower testosterone guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
There's a Foxy Boxing place around Thunderbird and Scottsdale Rd. Only hot chicks allowed.
I think you are referring to
Jabz Boxing. That's a decent solution. Jabz is 100% female, compared to a typical class at Title Boxing, which would probably be about 60-70% female.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 8,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
It is a legitimate fear, albeit an overblown one. Curves is an all female gym.

Fewer men than one might think use the gym or fitness classes as a way to meet women. Over the course of my life, I’ve been known to do gym & fitness classes approaches. I’m surprised that more me aren’t doing it. The guys that make those approaches tend to be higher testosterone than those that rely on apps, bars, or social circle because it takes more courage to do approaches while sober during the day. I believe that the most desirable men are the men who approach in gyms, malls, on the street, in grocery stores, etc. due to the fact that it takes the highest degree of intestinal fortitude to do.

As for personal training, having a female trainer is no guarantee that the female trainer won’t get handsy and flirtatious. Many fit females have higher testosterone levels and are lesbian/bisexual.
This is such a strange response all-around.

What do dating apps and high degrees of intestinal fortitude have anything to do with the topic?

Old 12-23-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
This is such a strange response all-around.

What do dating apps and high degrees of intestinal fortitude have anything to do with the topic?
It is not a strange response in the slightest bit. I'm considering the whole picture of your life.

You are new to a city and not in a relationship. That's an enviable position in life. At some point in the near future, you are going to be open to meeting new people.

A great place to meet someone for any type of romantic relationship, including a longer term relationship, is the gym and/or fitness classes. In the way that you are considering your situation in life, you are looking to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, there will be male approaches at a typical gym like Independence or LA Fitness or in coed studio class environments like Orange Theory or Title Boxing. Some approaches may be uncomfortable. However, I think in choosing a venue that is not coed, you are precluding yourself from meeting men who may be fantastic fits for you. I don't think that is worth it.

As a man who has done gym and fitness class approaches, I can say that there are not many men like myself. I haven't seen too many instances of other guys at my gym or the secondary fitness class venues I've attended besides my primary gym doing approaches. The majority of men are too gutless to approach woman at a gym. That's why I assessed your fear as being legitimate but overblown.

Also, you have to remember at an all female gym, there's a decent probability that you are going to be approached by a woman for something romantic. How comfortable are you with that? Do you really want to preclude yourself from meeting quality men at a gym just because of some bad apple men and then increase the probability of being apporached by women? I don't perceive that as making the most amount of sense.

If you are 29 years old, as the 90 in your user name may suggest being born in 1990, you might be able to generate a solid quantity of prospects even without the gym/fitness classes, and that could be why you are disinclined to consider your workout venue as a place to meet people for romantic purposes. If that's the case, that is a great position in life. If you think you are going to get approached enough in grocery stores, malls, climbing Piestewa/Camelback, and at the bars, then maybe you want to avoid gym approaches. I could certainly see that as a real possibility. If in-person activities aren't producing enough prospects, that's when people turn to the apps. The apps like Tinder/Bumble/Hinge are absolute cesspools, and the behavior encountered there is likely to be worse on average than what you might encounter from an approach in a coed gym.

I have written what I have written because I've questioned the whole premise of your initial inquiry based on the whole picture and I think you need to more fully examine the picture. If you want to go to an all female facility, I think Jabz Boxing which I mentioned in an earlier post would be a quality solution.

Last edited by RJ312; 12-23-2019 at 05:25 AM..

Old 12-24-2019, 11:07 AM

717 posts, read 1,057,978 times
She legit didn’t even mention dating in her original post.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Hi y'all,

Just moved to South Scottsdale and looking for a gym that has more females (personal trainers and members).

I checked out Independence Gym which seemed to have a fair balance, but haven't looked into any of the corporate gyms yet, like LAfitness or Anytime. I'm just worried that it'll be a lot of meathead guys who get overly handsy with their female clients (this still happens all the time sadly, even in this day and age...)

Thanks for any help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
She legit didn’t even mention dating in her original post.
The original post expressed concern about approaches, either from aggressive come ons from personal trainers or from other members. Approaches are what starts the mating/dating process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area