Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 03:39 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Flake like his fellow Mormon Romney, is a RINO, as was McCain. None of them were ever true conservatives. They went along to get along. Sinema may be voting with Republicans, but the rules of the long march require patience. If, God forbid, the senate goes democrat majority, Sinema is going to take a hard left. She's just waiting for the right time. I don't trust her.
I don't think she will. She seems to be smart, intelligent and speaks for herself. During the SOTU she was one of the few that would stand up and clap when she wanted. The 2020 democrats are all about solidarity and I know some in the establishment don't like her much, but so far I respect her.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:51 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Nevada is the ideal happy medium.
Not anymore, Nevada is more liberal than AZ. All of their Representatives are Democrat except for one, and both Senators are Democrat. The Las Vegas area and some of Reno is mostly democrat, while the rural areas are republican.
People moving from CA to Nevada is the same reason AZ is changing. We'll see if this election changes any of that up there.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:54 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I don't think she will. She seems to be smart, intelligent and speaks for herself. During the SOTU she was one of the few that would stand up and clap when she wanted. The 2020 democrats are all about solidarity and I know some in the establishment don't like her much, but so far I respect her.
She has a radical past and I have a hard time getting past that. Then there is her personal life which is far from conventional and she wants very much for people to believe her lifestyle is conventional.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
She has a radical past and I have a hard time getting past that. Then there is her personal life which is far from conventional and she wants very much for people to believe her lifestyle is conventional.
What "lifestyle"? Are you referring to her sexual orientation? When did she say that? I think you made that up.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
White collar transplants who tend to be younger, educated, highly skilled, and high income earners are more likely to be fiscally conservative or moderate, and won't support leftists who want to impose higher taxes & mandate stricter regulations on business. I'm afraid the blue wave across the Phoenix area is for the wrong reasons: too many lower income people who are reliant on government programs. Phoenix also has a fast growing Hispanic population which accounts for a large percentage of the city's population, and they tend to vote Democrat.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:51 PM

389 posts, read 596,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
White collar transplants who tend to be younger, educated, highly skilled, and high income earners are more likely to be fiscally conservative or moderate, and won't support leftists who want to impose higher taxes & mandate stricter regulations on business. I'm afraid the blue wave across the Phoenix area is for the wrong reasons: too many lower income people who are reliant on government programs. Phoenix also has a fast growing Hispanic population which accounts for a large percentage of the city's population, and they tend to vote Democrat.
Define "wrong reasons."

Last time I checked being lower income and on government programs doesn't preclude one from voting.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:11 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Define "wrong reasons."

Last time I checked being lower income and on government programs doesn't preclude one from voting.
I already gave my definition of "wrong reasons". The Phoenix area's population is still growing at a pretty fast rate ... however, a large share of this growth is coming from the ones who are either unemployed or working low level jobs with tendencies to be unambitious, and are dependent on government handouts. Of course they have the right to vote, but they often choose the candidates who call for more taxation & more regulations. This is what's causing our "blue wave", and I don't really see that as a good sign.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:02 PM

364 posts, read 496,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That may have been true in years past, but it's the opposite now. Education is the second biggest identifier, after race, for voting habits. There is a political realignment to Democrats in suburban areas of the educated. This drove the massive House win for Democrats in 2018 and will continue.

Conversely, former strong union blue-collar areas are trending more Republican in the realignment.

As Phoenix and AZ attract more educated professionals it will become more Democratic.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:34 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
From the article linked in the OP...

“Cities in states like Arizona and Texas are attracting young people, highly-educated people, and people of color — all groups that the national Republican Party has walked away from the last four years,” said the Oklahoma City mayor, David F. Holt, a Republican. “This losing demographic bet against big cities and their residents is putting Sun Belt states in play.”

Old 10-20-2020, 04:51 PM

566 posts, read 573,090 times
Democratic voter all the way. Ivy League educated. We live in a more affluent neighborhood and according to my neighbors' yard signs, Biden has an edge where we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area