Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 05:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,735,426 times

Advertisements

The trend continues.

"There are limits to what people can take with the irresponsibility, the untruthfulness, just the whole persona,” said Jeff Flake, the former Republican senator from Arizona.

https://www.mcall.com/news/nation-wo...mmu-story.html

Old 10-18-2020, 05:53 PM

6,214 posts, read 3,422,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
The trend continues.

"There are limits to what people can take with the irresponsibility, the untruthfulness, just the whole persona,” said Jeff Flake, the former Republican senator from Arizona.

https://www.mcall.com/news/nation-wo...mmu-story.html
I think Flake misinterpreted Trump’s popularity. Arizona is purple, so Flake is like most politicians in Arizona, which is very moderate. For an example, I think Sinema has voted with Republicans more often than most any other Democratic Senator.

But Flake thought he could criticize Trump and it wouldn’t hurt him at re-election time. He was completely wrong on that.

It’s easy for him to say that he stuck to his principles and the job was secondary. But he’s a politician first and foremost, and I’d bet that if he could go back, he’d find ways to be more less critical of Trump.

I mean it was bizarre. He voted with Trump’s policies most of the time, there was no need for him to become one of the thousands of voices against Trump.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:14 PM

2,774 posts, read 906,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think Flake misinterpreted Trump’s popularity. Arizona is purple, so Flake is like most politicians in Arizona, which is very moderate. For an example, I think Sinema has voted with Republicans more often than most any other Democratic Senator.

But Flake thought he could criticize Trump and it wouldn’t hurt him at re-election time. He was completely wrong on that.

It’s easy for him to say that he stuck to his principles and the job was secondary. But he’s a politician first and foremost, and I’d bet that if he could go back, he’d find ways to be more less critical of Trump.

I mean it was bizarre. He voted with Trump’s policies most of the time, there was no need for him to become one of the thousands of voices against Trump.
Flake like his fellow Mormon Romney, is a RINO, as was McCain. None of them were ever true conservatives. They went along to get along. Sinema may be voting with Republicans, but the rules of the long march require patience. If, God forbid, the senate goes democrat majority, Sinema is going to take a hard left. She's just waiting for the right time. I don't trust her.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:04 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,657,962 times
What does AZ keep electing RINOs and fake conservatives? What happened to fiscal conservatives or libertarian candidates that promoted freedom across the board?

Old 10-18-2020, 07:19 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,014,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
What does AZ keep electing RINOs and fake conservatives? What happened to fiscal conservatives or libertarian candidates that promoted freedom across the board?
Was this ever really a reality in Arizona? This state was responsible for one of the premier statesmen of the 20th century but it seems like Goldwater was more of a lightening in a bottle politician than a reflection of Arizona. This state has never sent another like him to any office at the state or federal level since. Politically speaking Arizona has been an incredible letdown in the decade I have lived here. Thought I was moving to Goldwater country. Boy was I wrong.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:24 PM

2,774 posts, read 906,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I voted for McCain every time he ran not because I liked him much, but because I won't vote for any democrat. He was the lesser of two evils. Sad but true. The only exception I've made to my no democrat rule was when I voted for Penzone because Arpaio should have retired long before he was voted out of office. McCain, Romney and Flake represent everything that is wrong with the republican party.[mod cut - remove denigration of other party]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 10-19-2020 at 05:46 AM..

Old 10-18-2020, 07:36 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,670,308 times
Not hard to imagine. Ex Californians, like me, are moving here with our liberal views and ruining your great state. Sorry about that.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 PM

390 posts, read 598,176 times
Arizona is a purple state. They are most likely to elect moderates in statewide races, from both parties.

While some might call McCain, Flake, and Romney RINOS, that is the only type of Republican that Arizona will elect to a statewide post nowadays.

Sinema is a very moderate democrat, maybe the most moderate one in the senate after Manchin. She is far-removed from the progressive wing of the party. Kelly seems moderate as well, but it's too early to tell until we see his voting record

McSally is a far-right conservative and massive Trump supporter and she already lost one race, and it seems that she will lose the other.

Arizona is not California but it's not Alabama either.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:11 PM

449 posts, read 325,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Arizona is a purple state. They are most likely to elect moderates in statewide races, from both parties.

While some might call McCain, Flake, and Romney RINOS, that is the only type of Republican that Arizona will elect to a statewide post nowadays.

Sinema is a very moderate democrat, maybe the most moderate one in the senate after Manchin. She is far-removed from the progressive wing of the party. Kelly seems moderate as well, but it's too early to tell until we see his voting record

McSally is a far-right conservative and massive Trump supporter and she already lost one race, and it seems that she will lose the other.

Arizona is not California but it's not Alabama either.
Would disagree with your views on Sinema being a moderate Democrat and McSally being a far-right conservative. Their liberty scores based on voting record within conservative review are 0% and 40%, both earned F grades. The most conservative AZ House members are Andy Biggs and Paul Gosar, both receiving A grades.

https://libertyscore.conservativereview.com/scorecard/

Old 10-18-2020, 11:47 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,683,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Would disagree with your views on Sinema being a moderate Democrat and McSally being a far-right conservative. Their liberty scores based on voting record within conservative review are 0% and 40%, both earned F grades. The most conservative AZ House members are Andy Biggs and Paul Gosar, both receiving A grades.

https://libertyscore.conservativereview.com/scorecard/
LOL, they gave Trump bootlicker McSally an F. Scary to think about what one would have to do for that site to give out a passing grade.

Sinema is as moderate a Democrat as they come. She’s voted with Republicans more than any other Democrat senator except one. Probably better to do your own research than go off of a random website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area