Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 AM

30 posts, read 249,765 times

Advertisements

There is a AZ camping newsletter that has lots of good information and she is a native. Near as I can tell her family has been here for a few generations too. You will have to google it but its called "eat play stay" I think. We got it for a few years. Also get a local publication "The Arizona Gazateer" it has the roads that are not on most maps. Forest roads and so on. I don't like the North myself, too many people. We have found many less traveled places south of Tucson in the Chiricauhua and Dragoon mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:14 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
I'll disagree with the posters below. If you like to hike and camp, in my opinion, Arizona is not the state to be. I'm originally from Montana and grew up hiking and camping. I moved to Arizona for three years, though it was awful, and since have moved to Seattle area.

Mogollon Rim is the exception. I liked that a lot - it's nice there.

But the rest of the state is awful for hiking and camping.

Just my opinion. DM me for more info.
I agree with bigtrees. Camping in the desert just does not seem right. Even the Rim can suck unless you know where to go (too many people). For me Greer (8500+ elevation) is hands down the best area to camp/hike. Try it in early October. No people, crisp cool temps, an actual fall (leaves changing) and the prettiest country Arizona has to offer. Any real REI person will agree.

Enough with the desert being pretty. I don't see it.

Good evening, and have a pleasant tomorrow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area