Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 07:15 PM

74 posts, read 97,318 times

Advertisements

I've been in Phoenix now for almost 2 years. It will be 2 years in January. I've noticed that in the city of Phoenix, public restrooms are so hard to find. I do DoorDash often and if I need to go, I always end up going to 2-4 gas stations only to find their restrooms are closed off. Either they will tell you or you will see a mop bucket with tape on the restroom doors. In some stores too, they are closed off, such as at Staples in Midtown. In the past, if you wanted to go at McDonald's or at a fast food place, you would have to make a purchase to get the code. Now at food places, I'm noticing they are all closed to customers. In Mesa, I had to walk to a Basha's, then return to Subway to eat my food just to wash my hands and use the restroom. Isn't illegal to close restrooms like that to customers? Recently in Glendale, I was at a shopping center, and all the food places had all their restrooms closed off. I noticed now and days, only QT's and big box stores like Walmart have them open to customers. I've traveled to many other cities and have never noticed this issue. Is it a city ordinance to have restrooms closed to customers? In the suburbs, you rarely have this issue. It's just in the city of Phoenix itself mainly. I've been to a CVS once where they had no restrooms either.

I know it sounds like a stupid question to ask, but I've never seen this issue in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 07:39 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
This is not unique to Phoenix. I have been to restaurants and stores all over the nation without public restroom access. Cannot say I blame them considering what people do to public restrooms. Unless it is an emergency I will not use a public restroom.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:31 PM

169 posts, read 281,148 times
Have you ever worked a minimum wage job in fast food or retail? When I was younger working the night shift at Walgreens, homeless people would often try to shower and change in the customer restrooms. Some would lock the door to try to get a few hours sleep. The junkies would leave needles behind. Many would defecate and urinate all over the floor and sink out of spite. The scenes I witnessed would give you nightmares for years. The teenagers and immigrants working in these jobs don't get paid enough to have to deal with that so I don't blame them for locking the restrooms.

Bottom line is the few bad apples ruin it for everyone. Phoenix has a large transient population due to the pleasant weather in Winter and all those bums are looking for somewhere to shower/sleep/have sex/shoot up.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:04 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
I can understand the OP's concerns, especially if somebody has health problems which can cause frequent/sudden urge to go (Diabetes, prostate issues, overactive bladder, UTI, etc.). At the same time, I tend to agree with the reasons for keeping them closed. Many years ago, pay toilets became common, but they became widely unpopular for different reasons, and even were banned in many areas. I don't see why something like this couldn't make a comeback in a different form. Have people pay a user fee for restroom access (not just the toilets) ... and with the many ways to pay these days other than cash, this really shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:28 PM

169 posts, read 281,148 times
A good piece of advice is to choose hotel lobby restrooms if you need to go while out and about. The fancier the hotel, the better. You just need to strut in with confidence, act like you belong there. The restrooms are often spotless and offer more privacy than the typical McDonalds cubicle. However, if you're dressed like a scruffy bum who looks like he hasn't washed in days, then forget about it. Security will ensure your face meets the pavement.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
A good piece of advice is to choose hotel lobby restrooms if you need to go while out and about. The fancier the hotel, the better. You just need to strut in with confidence, act like you belong there. The restrooms are often spotless and offer more privacy than the typical McDonalds cubicle. However, if you're dressed like a scruffy bum who looks like he hasn't washed in days, then forget about it. Security will ensure your face meets the pavement.
I've gone in hotel lobby's in the past. I was able to blend in.

So that explains too why public restrooms are hard to find. I've rarely had this happen in Chandler, Gilbert, and Queen Creek. Its mostly near downtown or around the airport area as well as in Glendale. Some areas of Mesa too dont have public restrooms.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:42 PM

When I used to live in Tucson, I'd say twice I had that issue. When I went back for a day trip, twice I did at 2 gas stations around the airport. In Tucson, they give you the code for fast food restrooms if you ask. I remember at the old 7-11, no public restroom, but they let people use it anyways. You had to have an employee take you to the back area. I think too in bigger cities, it is possible that you dont find public restrooms. Texas however was different.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:11 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
As others have said, this problem is not limited to Phoenix. It's a nationwide issue and sort of a vicious cycle: People living on the street don't have anywhere to go, they use what restrooms they can find, those restrooms then get closed, and the problem worsens.

The issue has been compounded with the pandemic. Some business owners have no doubt read about the possibility of the virus being shed in feces and then becoming airborne via a vigorous flush, so they decide to close their bathrooms for customer use. Phoenix only recently reopened the restrooms in its parks; those had been closed due to concerns about surfaces that have since proven to be exaggerated. The problem is that too much "holding it in" brings about its own negative health impacts.

As others have said, hotel lobbies are a good choice. The key is to act like you belong there. I also find that in an emergency, it can be worth spending a few dollars on something at a coffee house in order to use a bathroom there.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:37 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I can understand the OP's concerns, especially if somebody has health problems which can cause frequent/sudden urge to go (Diabetes, prostate issues, overactive bladder, UTI, etc.). At the same time, I tend to agree with the reasons for keeping them closed. Many years ago, pay toilets became common, but they became widely unpopular for different reasons, and even were banned in many areas. I don't see why something like this couldn't make a comeback in a different form. Have people pay a user fee for restroom access (not just the toilets) ... and with the many ways to pay these days other than cash, this really shouldn't be too difficult to implement.
Wouldn't this encourage the homeless to adopt a more San Francisco type lifestyle? You know....defecating in the streets.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:42 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
As a woman who was recovering from surgery, I decided I needed a clean, available toilet facility and a place to rest. So I bought a camper van.

Sure, I have to dump the tanks occasionally but usually not more than once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area