Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 11:51 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Also, AirBnB rentals tend to be ridiculously inexpensive to the point where they attract a sketchy crowd. Cheap attracts cheap, and never in a good way.

Oh, come on. What could possibly go wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 01:07 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stub303 View Post
I wish him good luck as this is a risky move. Most condo communities have strict short-term rental laws and many are moving from 30-day minimum to 90 day minimums with massive fines for the first violation. Even if he buys into a community now that allows it, most owners despise short-term rental and are changing CC&R's to prevent this.
Long-term tenants are better anyway for landlords I assume because of these headaches alone. Phoenix has plenty of enough hotels anyway to accomodate this market.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:13 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Long-term tenants are better anyway for landlords I assume because of these headaches alone. Phoenix has plenty of enough hotels anyway to accomodate this market.
Agreed, and I can't see why AirBnB would even be needed here. In any case, from the horror stories I've heard, many AirBnB properties attract a low class crowd, and they can ruin a neighborhood. I'm guessing many AirBnB patrons are too cheap to pay the higher price for a hotel suite. Hotels & resorts exist for a reason, and are specifically zoned for business areas, so the cheapskates can find a Motel 6 if they want "bottom of the barrel" lodging.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink378 View Post
Because mortgage rates are cheaper and easier to qualify for if he uses it for his primary residence. After living in it for 2 years he would buy a new place and repeat.
Realtor friend of mine said he seen where people are buying properties such as you explain as a 2nd home claiming to be a primary residence. The insurance and mortgage are listed as primary the home is trashed or burnt down by a Airbnb party the insurance company refuses to pay since the property is actually a rental property. The mortgage company reports the owner to the District attorney to be charged with mortgage fraud which is a felony.

Quote:
Also, AirBnB rentals tend to be ridiculously inexpensive to the point where they attract a sketchy crowd. Cheap attracts cheap, and never in a good way.
Actually if you go online there are videos of how to make money by using an Airbnb as a party house. Using social media networking to attract the party crowd they can charge $10-20 maybe even more for each person. Illegal drugs are sold in the house maybe even prostitution because it's a private home less likely for police to enter the home if they are called. The home if it gets trashed no one for it to fall back on.

Last edited by kell490; 05-18-2021 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 02:05 PM

249 posts, read 165,871 times
Quote:
Agreed, and I can't see why AirBnB would even be needed here. In any case, from the horror stories I've heard, many AirBnB properties attract a low class crowd, and they can ruin a neighborhood. I'm guessing many AirBnB patrons are too cheap to pay the higher price for a hotel suite. Hotels & resorts exist for a reason, and are specifically zoned for business areas, so the cheapskates can find a Motel 6 if they want "bottom of the barrel" lodging.
Not all people who prefer to stay in airbnb are low class - at least we do not think we are or our family members. We prefer to stay at airbnb because we have the use of full kitchen, have more home comfort, sometimes traveling with parents, stay a month+ in international locations that provide much bigger accommodations than hotels. We normally pay more than staying at typical hotels for more room and home comfort. But our stays are always more than a week. For shorter stays, we do hotels.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
We have done VRBO and Airbnb rentals in Newport Beach. Not in the least bit cheap or sketchy. The City does a good job of regulating them.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:57 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasudesu View Post
Not all people who prefer to stay in airbnb are low class - at least we do not think we are or our family members. We prefer to stay at airbnb because we have the use of full kitchen, have more home comfort, sometimes traveling with parents, stay a month+ in international locations that provide much bigger accommodations than hotels. We normally pay more than staying at typical hotels for more room and home comfort. But our stays are always more than a week. For shorter stays, we do hotels.
The main problem I have with AirBnB is many of the rentals are in residential areas. I'm sure there are some AirBnB patrons who are perfect house guests, but I've heard too many horror stories about others literally trashing the rentals and the neighborhoods. The noise can be a problem for the neighbors too. Hotels can have the same problems with low class guests, but they're usually easier to control, and most hotels are located away from residential zones. Just my own preference, but I'd much prefer to stay in a nice hotel in a business area that is close to amenities like restaurants, markets, etc.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:55 AM

720 posts, read 734,516 times
So the Maya Condos comes to mind - I'm sure there are others that allow airbnb. What others are saying is true - neighbors are really starting to organize against short term renters and many short time landlords are preferring to rent long term (12+months) since rental market here is very high demand and good $$ - I moved to S Scottsdale in February from the "suburbs" and it's still taking get used to but I love it!!

Old 05-24-2021, 09:09 PM

784 posts, read 923,188 times
Quote:
That is just silly....i've been renting homes for the past 30 years......its makes sense to rent a home over a hotel when you need multiple rooms and want some privacy and usually your own private pool.

I always rented houses when we took the family to Orlando......generally a 4 bedroom 3 bath house with heated pool for around $800-$1000/week......staying at Disney would have ran about $5,000....do the math.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:40 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
I use to rent my vacation properties too. I used VRBO (Airbnb was not invented yet).

A rough idea would be about $300k in rental income over about 5 years whenever we did not use the properties. Total damage: no more than $1000. A curling iron melted the cultured marble in our Arizona home ($300 and we swapped it to granite). And we rented to a fat guy who broke two pieces of furniture in our Mazatlan condo totaling $300 in damage.
The rest of the damage was a couple of pontoon props. The property wear and tear was nonexistent! People on vacation don’t stay indoors much. I automated everything. I knew when people were home or away. I digress...

Realize, I rented on VRBO before the TX-based company sold to Travelocity. Interesting enough, my customer was the CEO of VRBO.

My “cheap rent” at our MN home ranged from $2800 to $4000 a week. I charged sales taxes and cleaning fees. And in MX, it was $2000 to $2800 a week for a 3 bedroom condo. AZ was about $1600 to $2000 a week. Including $14k for 7 weeks to the mostly absent Royals BB management (Spring Training). These rates are over a decade ago. AZ was the least expensive spot to rent. I only rented by the week and often to two to three retires couples or an occasional tennis tournament team. So unlike V-N perception, many on rental sites are not "cheap" rentals. For many, it's the farthest from the perception.

We stopped renting in 2011. The difference back then is I decided who I wanted to rent to. I’m not sure if it was legal, but I scrubbed over who was inquiring to before I talked. I call every single (the lead rental person) in the group. If I did not feel completely comfortable, I would find a way out. Gee, maybe I forgot that my kids planned on needing it that weekend. I limited the amount I rented to a small number of guests. I charged more per person. I refuse to allow pets. And they signed an agreement that I could kick them out for any reason without a refund. I errored on the side of caution. I charged sales tax, paid my income taxes, wrote off expenses and depreciation, etc.

Charging more money automatically sorts people/quality renters. I always wanted a professional as the person who signed the contract. Still, In my searches, I found potential problems. Maybe 5 percent of the people something was a little off. Like pictures of former parties. Or even if the group was attending a nearby wedding (I refused to rent out of fear that the group would all come to MY larger house. It was a process that I had down pat. Google is your friend (phone number, email address, address, etc) QUICKLY gave you a picture of who they were. And often, a person reuses a portion of their email. So joeblow123@cox.net can often be the same person as joeblow123@google.com I found a pedophile that way. Rare but in the hundreds of searches a couple were fantastic stops. If someone tried negotiating on price, I explain on the phone that if they cannot afford the rent, how could they afford something if something went wrong? I passed on them even when they agreed to pay the going rate.

Now let’s fast forward to 2021. I cannot talk with the person 1st. TODAY and with the commission-type system and automation, I cannot easily reject a person just because they don’t pass MY smell test. I was a pro at renting. But in 2021, I would be nervous as Hell to rent out my place. Renters, lack control. When I rented, arguably, I attracted a higher caliber renter than my neighbors.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-25-2021 at 05:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: