Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 09:16 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I know what a resident (doctor) is

And BTW, in this part of the country, $130k household income doesn't go far, especially in the LA area. My fiancee and I have a $125k combined household income, and we live comfortably, but are by no means rich.

Greater Los Angeles has on average a 40% higher COL than greater Phoenix, with the bulk of the extra cost coming from housing. Our $1,800/month apt in Phoenix costs on average $3k per month for an equivalent unit in an equivalent LA city neighborhood
The San Fran (where they live) costs a good deal higher than LA. As in, a lot higher. My point was, they make $130k together and they save. So cheerleaders can afford to live in LA or San Fran.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The San Fran (where they live) costs a good deal higher than LA. As in, a lot higher. My point was, they make $130k together and they save. So cheerleaders can afford to live in LA or San Fran.
Debatable, depends on what you consider "afford". Plus you act like everyone is getting $60k+ salaries when they're in their early 20's (hint: they're not, not the vast majority)

Old 08-30-2021, 10:54 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,422,406 times
Quote:
How many people are doctors in relation to the US population though? 985,000, which is only 0.00298% of the US population as a whole. That's my point!
Can't do Fifth Grade Math?

Old 08-30-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Can't do Fifth Grade Math?
Sorry, forgot to multiply the number by 100. Big deal, it's more telling that you focus on that more than the point I was trying to make, when people do that, it just shows they don't actually care what you have to say...

Old 08-30-2021, 12:06 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Sorry, forgot to multiply the number by 100. Big deal, it's more telling that you focus on that more than the point I was trying to make, when people do that, it just shows they don't actually care what you have to say...
Because you say the same thing over, and over, and over, and over.....

Old 08-30-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Because you say the same thing over, and over, and over, and over.....
As do you, seems to work both ways

Old 08-30-2021, 02:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Higher housing prices filters out certain classes of people and people generally strive to live in the highest class of people they can afford (witness an average house price of $2.6M in Paradise Valley). Phoenix prices have elevated to the point that people priced out of California will have to look elsewhere.

One thing I learned from living in Washington state the last 26 years before moving to Phoenix area last January is that higher prices for housing tends to keep crime rates low in places like Bellevue where houses average over $1M, the crime rate is very low despite being a busy city as the criminal element seems to have been driven out. The same seems to be true in places like Scottsdale, Gilbert and Paradise Valley.

The downside to high housing prices is that it drives out low pay jobs and services that you want/need. All this to say, high cost of housing has both positive and negative consequences.
Phoenix/AZ has to worry about a lot things, I wouldn't be celebrating so soon. The switch to electric vehicles alone is going to cause some pain. Electric vehicle owners drive less, which means less tourist dollars into your economy. Price of gas is going to keep going up faster than inflation, which means even less tourists. There's climate change, and a possible water crisis. There's Also competition from other regions(see the Coachella valley projects) for tourist dollars and regular jobs.
This is peak desert living, it probably doesn't get better than this. Enjoy it while you can.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:36 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Debatable, depends on what you consider "afford". Plus you act like everyone is getting $60k+ salaries when they're in their early 20's (hint: they're not, not the vast majority)
Actually, it is not debatable read https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...rancisco%2C+CA for a COL comparison.

The nations average wage for newly minted college grads is about $50k. Read https://admissionsly.com/college-gra...lege_Graduates
It is well recognized that people have a COLA for expensive spots in the country. In fact, that is the case for residents too.

So when I see 10 cheerleaders at Denny’s , it does not enter my mind if they can afford to live in LA. Because most can if they have their head on straight.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:42 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Phoenix/AZ has to worry about a lot things, I wouldn't be celebrating so soon. The switch to electric vehicles alone is going to cause some pain. Electric vehicle owners drive less, which means less tourist dollars into your economy. Price of gas is going to keep going up faster than inflation, which means even less tourists. There's climate change, and a possible water crisis. There's Also competition from other regions(see the Coachella valley projects) for tourist dollars and regular jobs.
This is peak desert living, it probably doesn't get better than this. Enjoy it while you can.
curious as to how many years you have lived in Phoenix, so we can tell if you are predicting this as someone who lives here, or just making some SWAG

Old 08-30-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Actually, it is not debatable read https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...rancisco%2C+CA for a COL comparison.

The nations average wage for newly minted college grads is about $50k. Read https://admissionsly.com/college-gra...lege_Graduates
It is well recognized that people have a COLA for expensive spots in the country. In fact, that is the case for residents too.

So when I see 10 cheerleaders at Denny’s , it does not enter my mind if they can afford to live in LA. Because most can if they have their head on straight.
Only 1 in 3 people in the workforce have a college degree though, degree holders are an objective minority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area