Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 12:15 AM

410 posts, read 401,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
That article says nothing about what kinds of jobs they would be and it averages out to 60 jobs per firm so I suspect they are gonna be data center or wharehouse jobs. Also, 16,000 jobs is all they talk about. Maricopa county currently has 2.3 million employed workers. 16,000 is a drop in the bucket. If that’s the extent of the hype the government can generate then it’s not looking great. Wonder how many of these projects even materialize anyhow.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LAUCN040130000000005

Last edited by marinezac; 10-09-2021 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 12:58 AM

13,848 posts, read 8,066,944 times
Tech salaries, tech job growth in Arizona outpacing nation
https://chamberbusinessnews.com/2021...hhighsalaries/

Chandler ranks #14 among the best cities for women in tech
https://azbigmedia.com/business/chan...women-in-tech/

INTEL’S $20B INVESTMENT IN 2 NEW CHIP FACTORIES IN S. CHANDLER TO CREATE 3,000 HIGH-WAGE TECH JOBS
https://www.wranglernews.com/2021/10...age-tech-jobs/

Old 10-09-2021, 10:03 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
From my perspective? We are seeing a growing Web 3.0 presence and some startups, expanding technology needs (Security/UCC/Cloud) and solutions from not only medium companies but some of the larger ones here in AZ. Mostly the larger cities (Phoenix, Tucson, Prescott and Flag) but some more remote locations as well. We may not be a financial or insurance hub type of area but we do have the needs of a major city with the added benefit for those Data Centers as being relatively Natural Disaster free. There are a LOT of Data Centers that were already around town before Apple etc announced their builds. Carvana just bought 125 acres or so out in Surprise to be developed into a reconditioning and staging facility.

Let's not forget that Microsoft bought a bunch of land outside Buckeye recently as well. Electric car manufacturers hopefully indicate that we will get some manufacturing jobs here which would diversify the economy a bit.

We don't have a lot of HQs but we have a lot of the "doers" in AZ.
All this is pretty accurate, but we need to think & act bigger. Not being a financial hub, having plenty of data centers, and lacking corporate HQs would be fine if the Phoenix area was the size of Tucson or Albuquerque. You made a good point about the lack of natural disasters here compared to other places, so that should be a reason for more large companies to move here and base their HQs. However, many of them are going to the Texas cities, despite TX being a hotbed for weather disasters compared to AZ. Obviously, there are other things about TX which make it very attractive for businesses. That's what Phoenix needs to focus on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Maybe you missed this?

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...sk-2021-10-07/

Phoenix's location is much closer to CA than Austin is, and our cost of living is certainly more affordable than CA, although not cheap. There are other reasons why large companies are passing over Phoenix for the Texas cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
That article says nothing about what kinds of jobs they would be and it averages out to 60 jobs per firm so I suspect they are gonna be data center or wharehouse jobs. Also, 16,000 jobs is all they talk about. Maricopa county currently has 2.3 million employed workers. 16,000 is a drop in the bucket. If that’s the extent of the hype the government can generate then it’s not looking great. Wonder how many of these projects even materialize anyhow.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LAUCN040130000000005
The article does mention TSMC, but that's about it. I also have to wonder how many of these companies are actually going to locate here. As of now, "eyeing metro Phoenix as a future home" is nothing more than talk & speculation.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:10 PM

39,097 posts, read 51,306,911 times
We have been hearing for decades of how we are on the verge of attracting XYZ and desirable jobs, HQs etc. It never happens and never will, I am afraid. Back in the 80s and early 90s Phoenix had that "it" factor that might have attracted young, educated people. It all died with Jan Brewer and SB1080. I don't see it coming back. For some reason, places like Texas or Indiana or Georgia can get past political blunders, but not Arizona. Then again we keep shooting ourselves in the foot like with the "audit" and having the second worst covid experience in the nation. People notice.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
All this is pretty accurate, but we need to think & act bigger. Not being a financial hub, having plenty of data centers, and lacking corporate HQs would be fine if the Phoenix area was the size of Tucson or Albuquerque. You made a good point about the lack of natural disasters here compared to other places, so that should be a reason for more large companies to move here and base their HQs. However, many of them are going to the Texas cities, despite TX being a hotbed for weather disasters compared to AZ. Obviously, there are other things about TX which make it very attractive for businesses. That's what Phoenix needs to focus on.

Maybe you missed this?

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...sk-2021-10-07/

Phoenix's location is much closer to CA than Austin is, and our cost of living is certainly more affordable than CA, although not cheap. There are other reasons why large companies are passing over Phoenix for the Texas cities.

The article does mention TSMC, but that's about it. I also have to wonder how many of these companies are actually going to locate here. As of now, "eyeing metro Phoenix as a future home" is nothing more than talk & speculation.
Yeah that KTAR article is just a fluff piece from an quasi-government supported investment board. Funny enough the board mentioned in that article, the Greater Phoenix Economic Council was put up by Terry Goddard in the late 80s I think because people were questioning the long term ability of phoenix to attract high paying economic interest lol

Old 10-09-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We have been hearing for decades of how we are on the verge of attracting XYZ and desirable jobs, HQs etc. It never happens and never will, I am afraid. Back in the 80s and early 90s Phoenix had that "it" factor that might have attracted young, educated people. It all died with Jan Brewer and SB1080. I don't see it coming back. For some reason, places like Texas or Indiana or Georgia can get past political blunders, but not Arizona. Then again we keep shooting ourselves in the foot like with the "audit" and having the second worst covid experience in the nation. People notice.
Before I moved back to AZ, I lived in the North East and the impression people there have of AZ and Maricopa County specifically is the County of Sheriff Joe, it will take a long time for people to realize he has not been in office for four years now lol

Old 10-09-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
Before I moved back to AZ, I lived in the North East and the impression people there have of AZ and Maricopa County specifically is the County of Sheriff Joe, it will take a long time for people to realize he has not been in office for four years now lol
My brother is a big-time liberal and sees Phx. as a "good city" esp. after AZ went blue. I don't think the political climate in the Phx metro is a problem. Tech companies thinking of moving here are aware Phx is much more politically balanced today and Sheriff Joe A. is gone.

Anyway...I know Tempe is beginning to get its name out in the tech industry but I'd like to see Chandler start doing more.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I remember Jan Brewer being in the national spotlight over SB1070 and the anti-AZ t-shirts being sold in San Diego. However, the fact tech companies are moving here tells me the industry doesn't view the Phx metro today in the same light.

Last edited by john3232; 10-09-2021 at 11:16 PM..

Old 10-09-2021, 11:04 PM

342 posts, read 321,928 times
Now I have to go look up SB1080.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
Now I have to go look up SB1080.
I think Ponderosa is referring to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_SB_1070
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area