Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 11:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,659,713 times

Advertisements

File this in the AZ GOP clown show folder. It's getting full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 11:09 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,345,730 times
Their real goal is to get more Republican state and federal representation. Although these districts are drawn mostly by population - having lines like these proposed will make it easier in 2030 or 2040 to keep or even add more Republican districts.

All the rest they don't care about.

That said - this will go nowhere.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:46 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,059,878 times
Occam's Razor: This is the Arizona GOP's response to the state having voted for Biden in 2020.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:00 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Occam's Razor: This is the Arizona GOP's response to the state having voted for Biden in 2020.
Yes. Punish the Maricopa Board of Supervisors for following the Constitution, Arizona law, and telling the truth by dissolving them.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:03 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,432,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
New managerial and infranstructure overhead for zoning, flood control districts, health departments, highway, county hospitals, court systems, jails - the opportunities to fleece the public to pay more for what we already have seem endless!

Kind of like the 200 school districts. With the right connections, you too, can be an assistant school superintendent...

Old 02-09-2022, 08:35 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
I'm 100% in favor of splitting Maricopa County into smaller counties, but my reasoning has nothing to do with politics. The fact is: Maricopa County is TOO DAMN BIG. It encompasses over 9,000 square miles, making it one of the largest counties in the nation, and it's even larger than some states. No other county which includes a major metro area is this large. Even L.A. and San Diego counties don't encompass anywhere near the land area that Maricopa does. Most other counties that are this large are usually rural. Maricopa County is largely urban/suburban. So think of it from this direction, instead of worrying about "gerrymandering", or anything political. I'd even be in favor of splitting Phoenix and some other Valley cities into separate communities, but that's a different topic.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:45 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,059,878 times
They're going to unwittingly shoot themselves in the foot by doing this. They just don't have the foresight to see it because their focus is on retribution and a way to punish the county for voting Democratic. It's short-term gratification being done out of spite.

If they broke Scottsdale off into its own county, and the east valley suburbs into their own counties (which seems like what they want to do), they think they will be creating new GOP-dominated, mini-Orange Counties. To the contrary, though, they'll be setting those counties up for eventual federal lawsuits with regard to low income housing allotments. They'll have to have housing authorities and voucher plans, and designated low income housing unit set asides. And, as counties, the laws will be much more stringently enforced by the federal government.

As it stands, with the city of Phoenix in the picture and anchoring the county, it can absorb most of the low-income housing demand. Take the city of Phoenix out of the picture and you've got a mess on your hands, potentially.

I find it strange that Coconino County also voted Democratic and it's larger than Maricopa County, by far. Yet, you don't see a push to split it up?

Technically, all of Sedona should be inside of Coconino County, but it's not. The south half of Sedona is in Yavapai County which it has little to nothing in common with.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:04 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
They're going to unwittingly shoot themselves in the foot by doing this. They just don't have the foresight to see it because their focus is on retribution and a way to punish the county for voting Democratic. It's short-term gratification being done out of spite.

If they broke Scottsdale off into its own county, and the east valley suburbs into their own counties (which seems like what they want to do), they think they will be creating new GOP-dominated, mini-Orange Counties. To the contrary, though, they'll be setting those counties up for eventual federal lawsuits with regard to low income housing allotments. They'll have to have housing authorities and voucher plans, and designated low income housing unit set asides. And, as counties, the laws will be much more stringently enforced by the federal government.

As it stands, with the city of Phoenix in the picture and anchoring the county, it can absorb most of the low-income housing demand. Take the city of Phoenix out of the picture and you've got a mess on your hands, potentially.

I find it strange that Coconino County also voted Democratic and it's larger than Maricopa County, by far. Yet, you don't see a push to split it up?
Please, enough already! The county should have been split up many years ago. How many other large metros in the nation are comprised of multiple counties? Quite a few! In fact, most of them are. Why does Phoenix always have to be an outlier for everything? Think of some of the positives of this instead of dwelling on politics. If the splits come to fruition, the county which encompasses Phoenix would have a greater population density, and it would have reduced bureaucracy due to the smaller size.

And yes, Coconino County is also too big ... so are Gila, Mohave, and Pima just to name a few. In fact, I'll give you another example of how a reduced county size would be a huge benefit: a person lives in lives in Payson and has to appear in court. That person has to drive all the way to Globe (the county seat). Same goes for those in the other oversized counties. People in Lake Havasu City have to go to Kingman for court or other government matters. Smaller counties = smaller government, and easier convenience for more residents.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:07 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,830,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm 100% in favor of splitting Maricopa County into smaller counties, but my reasoning has nothing to do with politics. The fact is: Maricopa County is TOO DAMN BIG. It encompasses over 9,000 square miles, making it one of the largest counties in the nation, and it's even larger than some states. No other county which includes a major metro area is this large. Even L.A. and San Diego counties don't encompass anywhere near the land area that Maricopa does. Most other counties that are this large are usually rural. Maricopa County is largely urban/suburban. So think of it from this direction, instead of worrying about "gerrymandering", or anything political. I'd even be in favor of splitting Phoenix and some other Valley cities into separate communities, but that's a different topic.
For someone who’s against property tax, it’s rather bold of you to want more government bureaucracy.

And eastern states need county consolidation, not the other way around. Reasons? Better cooperation on infrastructure projects for an example. Go ask Atlanta how having a bunch of different counties have affected their ability to build freeways or expand MARTA.

I’d be in favor of breaking down the cities though, that’s where you get true local control. County however needs to be regional, and we benefit from having most of the Phoenix metro in Maricopa County, rather than across 30 or so counties like some other cities.

Old 02-10-2022, 02:40 AM

6,151 posts, read 3,372,943 times
I think it is imperative to live in a county with people who have your shared values.

For example, I am triple vaxxed, but I want to live in a county where the leadership prioritizes freedom. No mask mandates, no vaccine mandates, not ever! You do you. I don’t want “the man” dictating any of that nonsense.

Other examples are CRT being taught in schools, and strong 2nd amendment rights. I could go on and on with the differences.

But the bottom line is that people in Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe absolutely do not share my values and I don’t want to live in a county where they dominate policy. I want separation from them.

Texas has 254 counties. A state similar to Arizona in population, Washington state, has 39 counties.

If this change were to go through, that would put AZ at only 18.

I think it is good for the state as a whole. Instead of forcing people to do what they are doing in Phoenix, why not give everyone the freedom to live how they want to live in their own enclaves (counties).

On the flip side, I’m sure people in Phoenix would prefer to run their own enclave without interference from people like me.

It’s a win-win for everyone involved.

But you just know that that’s not enough for one side. They want to completely dominate everything. They can’t stand the fact that there might be areas of Arizona that don’t think like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area