Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 10:01 AM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
If an applicant has a strong credit score (over 700) and solid income they are in demand. They usually don't have a hard time finding a rental. And some applicants prefer not to deal with a PM company if possible. If something goes wrong they want someone right away... and that's me. Such renters pay their rent on time, follow the lease agreement and expect the owner to do their part. They also don't want to get nickeled and dimed paying "administrative fees"

On the other hand there are those who prefer a PM company because they realize they can get away with a lot more including bringing in additional occupant(s) or pet. Also it was my experience a PM company rarely went to the property to look at a repair request or inspect a repair once it was made. Who broke the window? Who clogged the toilet? "Not I" said the tenant. So the owner gets the bill.

There have been times when I was showing a rental to an interested party and asked "Who comes over if there's a repair request?" I tell them I do.

I can see them thinking, "This isn't going to work" and out the door they go.
I was pretty confident that I would be accepted anywhere that I would have applied. I was, as I put it, "well qualified." The one thing some LLs might not like is I have a cat, but I'd have been looking at listings before I even made contact and filtering for that. Not sneaking, regardless.

I have had a lot of experience as a renter. It has always appealed to me because I simply have yet to put down roots in any given place, and I don't choose to buy property if I don't expect to be staying more than a handful of years. Most of the time like 3-10 years in a given state, then off I go to whatever is next in life. Especially now I have a job I can take anywhere.

My experience has told me that I enjoyed renting from private owners a lot more than from PM companies. I became pretty good friends with the two owners I rented from in the past, like our families went boating and did BBQs together. They appreciated that I am a good tenant, I appreciated being treated like a human being by them and not a number. I preferred a feeling of friendly mutual benefit, over a cold and "professional" one where the office staff...we can only hope they do their jobs, but they sure don't CARE. They have no stake in the condition of the property. They're just employees. I mean, we've got maintenance staff on site here but they will handle your ticket in the order it was received and all. I recently had an issue where a geyser of water was gushing from a broken sprinkler head outside near my unit, and the maintenance guy came and looked at it and said they'd get "landscaping" out when they could but in the meantime, "You don't worry about the water." Well I'm sorry but we all pay for that water here, so yeah, I do freaking worry about it. They refused to turn off the system or that section of the sprinklers in the meantime, like...they don't care. That sucks.

But with apartment complexes, I could at least look at reviews. I was doing the thing I don't recommend of trying to secure a home sight unseen before moving here. A huge problem if I wanted to rent from a private owner, was finding a way to be sure they are not a scam. Like anyone can list a home for rent on any of these listing sites, yeah? But if I can't verify a real estate company's actual website has that listing on it, how do I know you're not a scammer? That's become so prolific unfortunately. I think if were doing this while physically here, I'd have been more willing to connect with owners to try and view properties. If they can let me in the door, they probably are legitimately renting it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area