Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 12:15 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times

Advertisements

I just replaced mine when it died after 2 yrs almost exactly. Returned it to the auto parts store where I purchased it for a new replacement under the typical 3 yr warranty that most batteries have. We have an extra car so I just had the wife drive a different car to work that day, and I changed it. Takes like 20 min. So I will wait until the 3 yr warranty expires.

In theory it can be tested by a mechanic or at the auto parts store to see if the voltage is below the normal range, and replace it then. I take my cars to the dealer for oil changes and pay for an inspection which includes a battery test, which I did about 6 weeks prior and said it was OK, but they must have lied and not have checked it because it failed soon afterward.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-06-2022 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 12:32 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
If you're putting 'standard' batteries, 2 years is all you'll get.

Everstart MAXX (Walmart) and Duralast Gold (Autozone) batteries cost just a tiny bit more, but have special metals in the plates that allow them to last 3 to 5 years easily in extreme operating conditions.

I put Everstart MAXX batteries in everything - premium quality at a great price - and they stand up well even to abuse.
(It has to be a MAXX, the plain Everstart are just that, a plain standard battery - skip those).

Also, put the highest CCA amps size battery your vehicle will accept - sometimes this takes some research to know if you can 'upsize' to a larger capacity one - and the prices are ususally the same as a smaller one or maybe just slightly higher.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:39 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
If you're putting 'standard' batteries, 2 years is all you'll get.

Everstart MAXX (Walmart) and Duralast Gold (Autozone) batteries cost just a tiny bit more, but have special metals in the plates that allow them to last 3 to 5 years easily in extreme operating conditions.

I put Everstart MAXX batteries in everything - premium quality at a great price - and they stand up well even to abuse.
(It has to be a MAXX, the plain Everstart are just that, a plain standard battery - skip those).

Also, put the highest CCA amps size battery your vehicle will accept - sometimes this takes some research to know if you can 'upsize' to a larger capacity one - and the prices are ususally the same as a smaller one or maybe just slightly higher.
I believe they are called Absorbent Glass Mat batteries (AGM). However, mine was a Duralast Gold AGM but it only lasted 2 yrs.

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...-glass-mat-agm

Old 08-06-2022, 02:26 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,535 times
I've had long lasting batteries using Interstate batteries.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:59 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I believe they are called Absorbent Glass Mat batteries (AGM). However, mine was a Duralast Gold AGM but it only lasted 2 yrs.

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...-glass-mat-agm
the MAXX and the DL Gold are premium Flooded Cell type batteries.

You do NOT want to get an AGM type (any brand) or any gel electrolyte type in a hot climate; neither handle heat very well - which is why yours (agm) died early.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:55 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,644,982 times
I use AAA. The last one didn't last long enough, and it was free.

I miss the old days when you went to an auto parts store and the clerk grabbed a wrench and the battery and put it in in the parking lot.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:36 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

I miss the old days when you went to an auto parts store and the clerk grabbed a wrench and the battery and put it in in the parking lot.
Autozone did this for me last time.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:48 AM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
I worked a parts counter for a major company in retirement.
What I was told was that in hot climates to avoid HD type batteries as they had more plates closer together and heat could lead to warpage and failure of the battery.

Old 08-08-2022, 04:30 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

Autozone, O'Reilly, they still do it. As does Walmart, Costco, Sams etc. I typically do my own though, just bring in a "burner" I have laying around and exchange to avoid core. It was an effort on my newer car though just figuring out how to take apart and remove the contraption/cover on the battery. Not just a 3/8 (10mm) wrench anymore. And I swear, those batteries weigh twice what they did 20 years ago.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:39 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Autozone, O'Reilly, they still do it. As does Walmart, Costco, Sams etc. I typically do my own though, just bring in a "burner" I have laying around and exchange to avoid core. It was an effort on my newer car though just figuring out how to take apart and remove the contraption/cover on the battery. Not just a 3/8 (10mm) wrench anymore. And I swear, those batteries weigh twice what they did 20 years ago.
The last time I needed a new battery I went to Batteries Plus. They had a similar problem getting the battery into the 'holder'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area