Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 12:31 PM

219 posts, read 176,549 times

Advertisements

I find it amazing how many experts we have on so many subjects in this forum. Apparently, a lot of you are oil experts, internationally and domestically, without ever working in the industry. Amazing. I would love to know what you all do for full-time work, that you are able to have so much free time to also study the geopolitical aspects of oil production and distribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 03:10 PM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
I find it amazing how many experts we have on so many subjects in this forum. Apparently, a lot of you are oil experts, internationally and domestically, without ever working in the industry. Amazing. I would love to know what you all do for full-time work, that you are able to have so much free time to also study the geopolitical aspects of oil production and distribution.
I've worked in the oil business for over 30 years. My family has been in it for over 100 years.

Old 10-28-2022, 11:49 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
You obviously didn't read the Thom Hartmann article recommended in gemstone1's post. It's a good explainer. We are self-sufficient, but the oil companies make more $$$ selling US-produced gasoline to other countries. We sell about a third of our production abroad. Also, the largest oil refinery in the US is owned by the Saudis, who are using the supply as a political tool (they're currently shipping a massive amount of gasoline to Brazil to keep prices there artificially low and prop up Bolsonaro ahead of the election there, which also raises prices here, hurting Dems ahead of the mid-terms). US oil and gasoline production is part of the world market. Because the oil companies want it that way. If we went back to a US-only market there would be a glut and oil company profits would suffer.

As far as needing to drill more or build new pipelines or new refineries, it's industry talking points to get more tax breaks and reduced regulatory oversight. If there was a buck to be made pumping or refining in Arizona, somebody would have done it. And it would have virtually no impact on local gas prices. They're sitting on loads of unused permits. Oil costs $23 per barrel to pump from established wells. That more than doubles to $48 for new wells. There's a cost differential for gas from new refineries also. They're quite happy to just stick with what they have now.

Funny how prices go up because a refinery is down for maintenance or to switch to winter blend, but you never hear about a big price drop when that refinery comes back on line. Both sides of the supply/demand equation are controlled by the oil companies, so they game it for all they can. The only time prices come down meaningfully is when demand drops a huge amount (recession, pandemic, etc.).
We all know that the oil companies have us over a barrel (pun intended). Everything you stated still doesn't explain why Arizona has some of the highest gas prices in the nation, and why there are no viable remedies being seriously discussed. I'm at least offering some alternatives, which none of the current crop of candidates have ever mentioned. It proves what I've been saying: we love to cry & moan about the high costs, but when it comes to actually implementing solutions, a wave of silence enters the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There is no oil production in Baja California. There would have to be an oil terminal built to receive oil tankers. Mexico is not going to allow a pipeline to be built across a biological preserve. Then, there's the whole issue of how to distribute the fuel across Arizona.

My solution is that Arizona sucks it up and continues as it has. Perhaps drive less.
Sucking it up and continuing down the same path is more of a cop out than a solution. Telling Arizonans to do less driving is about like telling Kanye West to be less of a jerk. In other words: not gonna happen!
What do you suggest should a major rupture occur in one of the pipelines? That actually happened in 2003, and it contributed to why Clean Fuels proposed the refinery: to give us a new source in the event of another 2003ish catastrophe. Obviously, they were the experts and had it figured out, but the refinery never came to be for different reasons ... one of which was all the opposition.

It's a lot like the drought: we had the first warning signs 20 years ago, but all we did was shrug our shoulders & said we have plenty of water. Now that there are water shortages & cutbacks, we're scrambling to find additional sources. We've had the warning signs about our fuel supply, but failed to act on it. We have nobody to blame but ourselves, and your do nothing attitude about this is part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
What is your solution?

Old 05-07-2023, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 273 times
I have lived in phoenix for 20 years. We are getting screwed by base product fuel companies. This has never been the case here. Neck and neck with prices of that landfill west of us. Not so long ago our base product was from el paso. Now 65% comes from that crap assed state west. Theres your problem. Someones palms are getting greased and if you look ling enough you will find the answer. Dont be a sheep listening to these lies. This state and greed is screwing its people. I promise you. Look at the facts. Heres one fact. In the last 10 years we have not had one year other than this year 2023 when our fuel price is on par with california over switching winter to summer blends. It is a 100% lie guys.

Old 05-09-2023, 05:15 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
Just went to Wickenburg last week to look at houses. Why is gas over $1.00 more than Prescott when all ya do is drive down the hill?

Old 05-09-2023, 11:41 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Just went to Wickenburg last week to look at houses. Why is gas over $1.00 more than Prescott when all ya do is drive down the hill?
Wickenburg is in Maricopa County, which falls under the CBG requirements (special blended gas to supposedly burn cleaner than regular gasoline). Even though Wickenburg is a small town that is pretty far removed from the Phoenix area, they still have to comply with the county rules. CBG is very costly, so of course, the added cost is passed onto the consumers. This is yet another good argument for why Maricopa County needs to be split into smaller counties, but that's another topic.

The price of gas in Arizona as a whole is still higher than the national average. As I mentioned before, it's largely because we rely on pipelines from other states (mainly California), and we have too many naysayers & NIMBYs who are opposed to building refineries here. People love to complain about how much they pay at the gas pumps, but they apparently are fine with continuing the same old methods, and not embracing change for the better.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:31 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,269,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Wickenburg is in Maricopa County, which falls under the CBG requirements (special blended gas to supposedly burn cleaner than regular gasoline). Even though Wickenburg is a small town that is pretty far removed from the Phoenix area, they still have to comply with the county rules. CBG is very costly, so of course, the added cost is passed onto the consumers. This is yet another good argument for why Maricopa County needs to be split into smaller counties, but that's another topic.

The price of gas in Arizona as a whole is still higher than the national average. As I mentioned before, it's largely because we rely on pipelines from other states (mainly California), and we have too many naysayers & NIMBYs who are opposed to building refineries here. People love to complain about how much they pay at the gas pumps, but they apparently are fine with continuing the same old methods, and not embracing change for the better.
The fact that I can drive from Queen Creek to Wickenburg in 2 hours and still be in the same county is mind boggling to me. I don't understand this one bit.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:10 AM

848 posts, read 966,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
The fact that I can drive from Queen Creek to Wickenburg in 2 hours and still be in the same county is mind boggling to me. I don't understand this one bit.

Same when driving across the 10 from CA. Maricopa County starts waaaaaaaaay before you get even close to the metro.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:16 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I know, right...? It's the old Spanish land grants that eventually turned into our current counties. I used to live in San Diego County and it was 2 hrs from the beach to the desert..... crazy, but kinda cool...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area