Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 04:19 PM

235 posts, read 208,272 times

Advertisements

Would anyone who lives in Sun City or knows someone living there have any pros and cons thoughts of it? 2 years ago we were going to relocate there from Florida but the housing frenzy was too much for us to deal with living out of state. Seems the frenzy has let up and prices dropped some and inventory is up so we may take a second look at Sun City again. We love the older patio homes,townhouses and houses. More then new builds.Just wondering from some residents there if a lot has changed there or if they find it suitable. Of course we look at negative or positive opinions as just opinions. Final decision is on us. Thanks for inputs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 04:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
I, too, am looking at Sun City recently because I am tired of the cold weather here in Prescott.

What I find as a deterrent is the one time fee for capital improvements around $4000 and the $595 recreational fee yearly, in order to use any of the rec centers, pools, etc. In addition, so many need updating since they are old. Good things are medical facilities close by and lots of shopping (which I love). I am looking and will keep looking since prices seem to be coming down somewhat.

Old 01-05-2023, 05:32 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Good things are medical facilities close by and lots of shopping (which I love).
Can't leave out the fact that Sun City also has no public schools because it's an age restricted community ... therefore, property taxes are very low due to the absence of school taxes. Some would consider that a drawback, but I think of it as one of the main attractions for older people who have no children.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:36 AM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
I live in Sun City. Taxes are low since there are no schools. Sales tax is 6.3%.

The $4000 PIF fee is one time and is used to add to and improve the facilities. 8 Rec Centers and 8 golf courses.

The rec fee will be $525 this year. It was $496 for the last 5 or 6 years. It is a property assessment. You will get one or 2 rec cards for deeded property owners. A single pays $525, a couple with both on the deed pays $525 and gets 2 cards. A couple with only one on the deed gets one rec card but can buy a privilege card for the other spouse for half that amount. They say it is because of budgeting. This way it's 27,500 homes times $525. If it was per person they wouldn't know how much would be coming in. People complain and think it should be per person, but I doubt it will ever change. I'm single and don't think it is a big deal.

Most homes are 1960's and 1970's. Many have been remodeled. There are about 180 houses that are about 5 years old.

You will get more for your money here than at any other 55+ community.

suncityaz.org

Old 01-06-2023, 05:25 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
What I find as a deterrent is the one time fee for capital improvements around $4000
Followed by:

Quote:
In addition, so many need updating since they are old.
If I hear you correctly, you want the fees used to upkeep the facilities to be less costly. Yet, in another breath, you are not happy with the upkeep? Do you see the irony? If I was contemplating moving there and didn't like the upkeep, I would want the fees to go UP!

You don't get much for your money anymore. If Sun City fees have not gone up over the past couple of years where your dollar is worth 25% less, then you should expect below-average upkeep. I paid $10K when we bought into our HOA. That's much more common these days. And I am sure it's going to go up.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:16 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
Having sold several homes in Sun City and Sun City West I am quite familiar with the process of purchasing a home in Sun City. Due to the various phases and types of properties, it can be confusing. Many have differing rules.

To answer your questions about what has changed I think very little has changed with regard to the way the community operates and the mindset of the residents. The Sun Cities are very well run, financially.

Yes, the fees have gone up, but costs have gone up everywhere. You get a lot for your money in Sun City. Great facilities, well-maintained streets, good shopping, and dining, and good access to healthcare.

Yes, most of the homes are older but well-built. Many have been remodeled or updated. If you have a keen eye and a little money you can make these homes look new again.

Due to the large number of HOAs in Sun City (especially with the Condos and PUDs), you have to do your homework regarding building maintenance, fees and costs, and remodeling projects.

Lastly, to really enjoy Sun City you should take advantage of all they have to offer. Use the Rec Centers, join clubs, go to the library, meet people, and have fun. You are paying for the privilege to be part of the community, enjoy it.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:09 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
I live in Sun City West, but often drive through Sun City on the way to doctor appointments. I have read a number of online comments on a different site about the increasing problem of homeless people from the Youngtown area walking around Sun City...and here's a local news article about it: https://www.yourvalley.net/stories/m...un-city,254670

It is quite noticeable when you drive through the area.

Just be aware of the situation.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Followed by:

If I hear you correctly, you want the fees used to upkeep the facilities to be less costly. Yet, in another breath, you are not happy with the upkeep? Do you see the irony? If I was contemplating moving there and didn't like the upkeep, I would want the fees to go UP!

You don't get much for your money anymore. If Sun City fees have not gone up over the past couple of years where your dollar is worth 25% less, then you should expect below-average upkeep. I paid $10K when we bought into our HOA. That's much more common these days. And I am sure it's going to go up.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the HOUSES are pretty old and need updating. I have no idea about the rec centers or anything else in SC.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:42 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the HOUSES are pretty old and need updating. I have no idea about the rec centers or anything else in SC.
My bad. Though I will say, $4k upfront cost is spendy if you only stay for a couple of years and move. Even if you move to another house in the same neighborhood (which is typical). But it's a necessary evil. The money has to come from somewhere to pay for the upkeep.

Old 01-07-2023, 05:32 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I live in Sun City West, but often drive through Sun City on the way to doctor appointments. I have read a number of online comments on a different site about the increasing problem of homeless people from the Youngtown area walking around Sun City...and here's a local news article about it: https://www.yourvalley.net/stories/m...un-city,254670

It is quite noticeable when you drive through the area.

Just be aware of the situation.
Unfortunately this is true. Personally I'd avoid the Sun City housing within a half mile of either side of Grand Ave. The commercial properties on that part of Grand Ave are crawling with vagrants and there have been a lot of residential burglaries in the last year or so in the condos north of Grand, west of Del Webb off Thunderbird as can be confirmed by the lexisnexis crime map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area