Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 06:44 PM

15 posts, read 15,732 times

Advertisements

Anybody shop on Amazon who isn’t a Prime member? How fast do you get your stuff? Does it get delivered by the Amazon truck or through the mail? Thinking of canceling my membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2023, 07:15 AM

356 posts, read 281,590 times
I cancelled my Prime membership a few years ago and miss it only occasionally. Items usually come in 2-4 days depending on if they are in the local distribution center. Small items from 3rd party vendors come in the mail or UPS, but most things are delivered by the Amazon truck.

The biggest issue for me is getting to $35 for free shipping. I hold things in my cart until I reach that threshold and then hit the order button. If I have something I need right away that isn't $35 I add something I don't need right away but can always use later like light bulbs, water filters for the fridge, socks, etc. The small inconveniences I have had have not made me want to pay for Prime again.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:04 AM

13,716 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Outside of food shopping I buy almost everything on Amazon. Prime is worth the cost for me.

Old 04-09-2023, 12:17 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I cancelled my Prime membership a few years ago and miss it only occasionally. Items usually come in 2-4 days depending on if they are in the local distribution center. Small items from 3rd party vendors come in the mail or UPS, but most things are delivered by the Amazon truck.

The biggest issue for me is getting to $35 for free shipping. I hold things in my cart until I reach that threshold and then hit the order button. If I have something I need right away that isn't $35 I add something I don't need right away but can always use later like light bulbs, water filters for the fridge, socks, etc. The small inconveniences I have had have not made me want to pay for Prime again.
That is part of your problem. You don't need $35 for free shipping. You only $25 for free shipping. I generally spend at least $100 a month on Amazon. So I can get one free delivery every week. With good planning, that is often enough for me.

There are other ways of getting free shipping. After ordering you get free shipping on any order no matter how small for 24 hours. You can also get free shipping on Subscribe and Save Items, no matter how low the order is.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:33 PM

534 posts, read 480,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That is part of your problem. You don't need $35 for free shipping. You only $25 for free shipping. I generally spend at least $100 a month on Amazon. So I can get one free delivery every week. With good planning, that is often enough for me.

There are other ways of getting free shipping. After ordering you get free shipping on any order no matter how small for 24 hours. You can also get free shipping on Subscribe and Save Items, no matter how low the order is.

Didn't they increase it from $25 to $35 a few years ago?

Old 04-10-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Didn't they increase it from $25 to $35 a few years ago?
No they lowered it to $25 in 2017, and that has been the price ever since.

Quote:
Amazon Drops Free Shipping Minimum To $25

Ashlee Kieler@akieler2-3 minutes 5/9/2017

Online shoppers are benefitting from the e-commerce battle between Amazon and Walmart. Amazon has once again lowered its minimum for free shipping for non-Prime orders, from $35 to $25, undercutting Walmart’s minimum by $10.
Amazon Drops Free Shipping Minimum To $25

Old 04-11-2023, 01:56 PM

356 posts, read 281,590 times
Wow! I didn't know that they reduced it to $25. I will have to check this out. I can't right now because my daughter is trying a Prime trial and our accounts are linked. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-24-2023, 11:55 AM

323 posts, read 448,843 times
Default Amazon delivery

I'm in Surprise AZ and do not have Prime. I order over $25 and I usually get the stuff in two or three days, which is often earlier than the ETA Amazon tells me.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:40 PM

843 posts, read 564,235 times
There is no standard amount of shipping time for anything bought via Amazon, Prime or not. Each product has it's own unique delivery time. Most with Prime are 2-3 days, but some can be delivered next day. Without Prime it may take longer, and you may have to pay shipping, but there is really no answer to your question - it still depends what you buy.

Another thing is that NOT ALL products sold on Amazon are eligible for Prime, so even if you have it, it's not 100%.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
There is no standard amount of shipping time for anything bought via Amazon, Prime or not. Each product has it's own unique delivery time. Most with Prime are 2-3 days, but some can be delivered next day. Without Prime it may take longer, and you may have to pay shipping, but there is really no answer to your question - it still depends what you buy.

Another thing is that NOT ALL products sold on Amazon are eligible for Prime, so even if you have it, it's not 100%.
That is a good point. Third party sellers on Amazon who independently ship their items themselves, decide for themselves to charge shipping or not to charge shipping. It has nothing to do with Prime. Fortunately most of them offer free shipping anyway to be competitive. I suspect that if a third party offers free shipping, most Prime members attribute that to their Prime membership. Which has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area