Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 05:15 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecowrites1 View Post
Thank you so much for the info about the Aux 1 site! That was my main concern with it being within 4-5 miles of Asante. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone in the area as I used to live in Fountain Hills (no noise at all until the Sky Harbor flight path was re-routed from over Scottsdale to Fountain Hills, then it was a jet plane per minute from morning until almost midnight).
When we were considering moving to Vistancia's Trilogy section, I learned that the Aux 1 site was a non-factor for that area.

You might have my problem ^^: Once you notice the noise, it may get under your skin and you start to pay attention to it. I also started to pay attention inside the house. Note: the F35 jet noise is multiple times louder than a commercial jet flying over Fountain Hills. As in, it is not close in comparison! As a reference, I now live up Pima. And when I am in Fountain Hills, I see the jets fly overhead. The noise is a nothing-burger in comparison. I also hear people training from the Scottsdale airport (you hear them intentionally stalling and taking off in the air). I notice it every time but again, it's a fraction of the noise level as compared to any F35.

Use the search feature to get subjective opinions from others http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=47546637 More and more F35's arrived after 2016. As in, around 2013, they were downscaling the F16's and very few flights were going on. So hone in on those threads.

As I have typed in the past, you cannot take a day or two in a row and study the reality of what you are going to experience. The flight schedule is all over the map. But GENERALLY speaking, flight budgets dry up at the end of the month and start back up early the following month. If there is cloud cover or rain, they seem to LOVE training in those conditions. And as I said multiple times, if you are in an area that they like to circle around, each time you see the tail miles up in the sky you are going to hear the engine. Personally, it drove me nuts all the while someone else said they don't hear them!

Since you are looking at Active Adult areas that are still building. I've compared several. Pebble Creek is BY FAR the worse noise. Stay clear of Sterling Grove too. Victory at Verado was better but still unacceptable. I found the Trilogy at Vistanica "active adult" neighborhood to be the best location on the West side of town for Luke AFB noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 02:57 PM

17 posts, read 9,642 times
Thank you so much! I may have the same problem as you because once I heard them I was really bothered and ending up selling. Thanks for the info on the other 55+ sounds like Trilogy at Vistancia will be worth looking at. From what I've read, the aux 1 airfield isn't used to land jets, but to "approach" the site and then fly out to training locations. One flight path out of aux 1 crosses US 60 and Pinnacle Peak Road, which seems like we'd hear the jets less than a mile away in Asante, esp. the F-35s?

Old 06-22-2023, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much! I may have the same problem as you because once I heard them I was really bothered and ending up selling. Thanks for the info on the other 55+ sounds like Trilogy at Vistancia will be worth looking at. From what I've read, the aux 1 airfield isn't used to land jets, but to "approach" the site and then fly out to training locations. One flight path out of aux 1 crosses US 60 and Pinnacle Peak Road, which seems like we'd hear the jets less than a mile away in Asante, esp. the F-35s?
Now this is 7-year-old info in my head so my memory of the conversation has faded. But the AUX-1 was used for "touch and go's" and rarely used. Based on the total events in that area 7 years ago, it wasn't much to talk about.

If you are going to write out a big check for a house, do what I did and talk with the source: call Luke AFB and get their subjective opinion. I think it was the public relations prompt. When I called, I set the stage that they were here 1st and I was only calling to make a decision about what I should do. During that polite conversation, I learned that they were planning on adding another 200 F35's. But as he warned, that that "probably" there will be for flights. But not necessarily, as it was possible that they get more planes but with less flying budget. He warned it's the military and that no one knows. For example, they had many planes a couple of years ago that were unable to fly because of part shortages. It seems that the part fiasco has continued https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...enemy-missiles

Realize, I did do my due diligence. I sat for many days listening to the F16's back in 2011 when I bought in Surprise literally sitting outside of my pending house. I was looking at my road traffic, how fast people drove, and listened to them the jet noise too. And for several more years, it really wasn't a big deal to me. But little did I know they were rapidly downscaling the F16 (sending them off to other places) to get ready for the F-35's! And make no mistake, the F35 is a lot louder and deeper in frequency. As in, 9-26dB louder (depending on the thrust). Or subjectively, 2-3 times louder than the F-16! https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/..._Tom_Bever.pdf

Old 06-22-2023, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the info! I will definitely talk to Luke. Could you please let me know the general area your house in Surprise was located in (where noise from the F-35s bothered you, i.e., was it close to Asante at US 60 and Happy Valley or Pinnacle Peak Road)?

Old 06-22-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I will definitely talk to Luke. Could you please let me know the general area your house in Surprise was located in (where noise from the F-35s bothered you, i.e., was it close to Asante at US 60 and Happy Valley or Pinnacle Peak Road)?
It was on Rheems and Waddel (Marley Park). No, it wasn't exactly close. I suspect your noise will be less.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:06 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 07-18-2023, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 907 times
My daughter is considering buying in new KB Homes development at Yuma&Citrus. Does anyone live near that area that can speak to the jet noise from Luke AFB in that part of Goodyear?

Old 07-19-2023, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Red Sox Fan View Post
My daughter is considering buying in new KB Homes development at Yuma&Citrus. Does anyone live near that area that can speak to the jet noise from Luke AFB in that part of Goodyear?
Look at the flight map https://www.wemargad.org/luke-air-fo...p-goodyear-az/ .Expect to hear plenty of jet noise!

Old 07-19-2023, 05:55 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Red Sox Fan View Post
That location well outside of the noise corridors. There is going to be jet noise from time to time-just about everywhere in the far west valley hears them on occasion. But they are much higher up by the time they get near Yuma/Citrus and not likely to significantly disturb her. I would cross it off as a concern.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:58 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Look at the flight map https://www.wemargad.org/luke-air-fo...p-goodyear-az/ .Expect to hear plenty of jet noise!
No. You are incorrect. I know exactly where those KB homes are going up. It's not a noisy area at all. Yuma is a long ways to the south. That area is not one that is going to get much in the way of Luke AFB noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area