Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 11:53 AM

26 posts, read 31,128 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Not able to decide between Queen Creek and Peoria, AZ for moving to a new home. Work is in Tempe, so distance-wise both look almost similar. Peoria looks well developed, and Queen Creek seems to be growing but don't see many options comparatively, like a mall, restaurants, etc, and have to drive to Gilbert or Chandler. Main criteria: Schools, malls, entertainment, restaurants, quality of life, and distance to nice places.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 12:20 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Queen Creek is much closer to Tempe than Peoria, assuming you'd be looking in North Peoria which has similar housing stock as QC. South Peoria is a dump and QC has nothing like that. North Peoria has better mountain views and proximity to Lake Pleasant, QC is greener and flatter but has San Tan mountains nearby. Both have similar shopping. QC is more religious (LDS).

Old 10-16-2023, 07:26 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Queen Creek is a pain to get in and out of, and infrastructure hasn't really kept up with the growth of the city. That being said, there is really no situation in which I would ever pick living in Peoria over QC. I used to live on the West Side for many years. Since I moved to Gilbert over 3 years ago, I'm mad that I didn't make the move sooner. There is so much more to do over here. And even though I live in South Gilbert, we spend a lot of our time in QC.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:29 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Something else to consider during your commute. Peoria to Tempe, sun in your eyes to and from work. QC would be the opposite.

QC is out there but there are cool things to do. Not sure why a mall is top of priority, they have all been closing down with Chandler Fashion and Scottsdale fashion being noticeable holdouts. Really haven't been to a "Mall" per se in a few years if I didn't have to.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Queen Creek is much closer to Tempe than Peoria, assuming you'd be looking in North Peoria which has similar housing stock as QC. South Peoria is a dump and QC has nothing like that. North Peoria has better mountain views and proximity to Lake Pleasant, QC is greener and flatter but has San Tan mountains nearby. Both have similar shopping. QC is more religious (LDS).
Thank you. Yes looking at North Peoria vs South Queen Creek. QC is about 5-7 minutes more than Peoria depending on the time. What to expect when there is a majority LDS? Sorry, never had an experience so wanted to see if it is any different.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Queen Creek is a pain to get in and out of, and infrastructure hasn't really kept up with the growth of the city. That being said, there is really no situation in which I would ever pick living in Peoria over QC. I used to live on the West Side for many years. Since I moved to Gilbert over 3 years ago, I'm mad that I didn't make the move sooner. There is so much more to do over here. And even though I live in South Gilbert, we spend a lot of our time in QC.
Thank you. On the west/north, we like Desert Ridge Marketplace and Westgate entertainment district. Do you know if there are any entertainment centers like those over in the Easy Valley to stroll?

Old 10-16-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Something else to consider during your commute. Peoria to Tempe, sun in your eyes to and from work. QC would be the opposite.

QC is out there but there are cool things to do. Not sure why a mall is top of priority, they have all been closing down with Chandler Fashion and Scottsdale fashion being noticeable holdouts. Really haven't been to a "Mall" per se in a few years if I didn't have to.
Yes, I see the sun is a problem while commuting. Peoria has a mall in about 10 minutes, but if in QC, have to travel a minimum of 30 minutes I believe. So not sure if there will be a mall coming in the future in QC given the growth it is going through. We do shopping once in a while, so that is one of the criteria and not a deal breaker for me.

Old 10-16-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitr View Post
Yes, I see the sun is a problem while commuting. Peoria has a mall in about 10 minutes, but if in QC, have to travel a minimum of 30 minutes I believe. So not sure if there will be a mall coming in the future in QC given the growth it is going through. We do shopping once in a while, so that is one of the criteria and not a deal breaker for me.
Ah...so your definition of "Mall" isn't the self enclosed 80s malls. Well, San Tan Village is about 9 miles from Queen Creek. Gilbert Gateway is about the same distance. A few others scattered around but if you want a department store, San Tan would be the closest.

Old 10-16-2023, 03:14 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitr View Post
Thank you. On the west/north, we like Desert Ridge Marketplace and Westgate entertainment district. Do you know if there are any entertainment centers like those over in the Easy Valley to stroll?
San Tan Village in Gilbert is very similar to Desert Ridge. Gilbert also has Epicenter, which is brand new and very cool. Queen Creek Marketplace is growing and has a lot available. Most of your entertainment type stuff will be in Gilbert, though. Queen Creek has more "country" entertainment like rodeos and San Tan Flats.

Are you referring to Arrowhead Mall as your close "mall?" That place has kind of been a dump for years.

Lastly, the LDS population in QC is nothing like Gilbert or East Mesa. It's definitely not the majority - not even close. I'd say the majority of the population are people who moved here from other states.

Old 10-16-2023, 04:05 PM

I don't see the problem with having LDS neighbors...they are usually pretty chill and take care of their homes. May have a few kids running around but all in all I can think of worse folks to have as neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area