Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 08:33 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times

Advertisements

I figured this was a better section to post this as it has more to do with knowing the area.

I am open to suggestions if anyone knows of interesting/cool routes for motorcycle riding around Phoenix, preferably in the West Valley since I live in Sun City West but doesn't matter.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 11:22 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times
Oak Creek Canyon out of Sedona

Old 11-05-2023, 08:28 AM

743 posts, read 876,470 times
Ride up to south mountain. Great views of the city. Not a long drive.
Ride up the back way to Prescott. That is a fun ride. Have lunch up there.
Wickenburg run is okay.
Ride up to Bartlett Lake
Ride to Tortilla Flats
Ride to Cave Creek
Ride to Black Canyon City

Old 11-05-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Ride up to south mountain. Great views of the city. Not a long drive.
Ride up the back way to Prescott. That is a fun ride. Have lunch up there.
Wickenburg run is okay.
Ride up to Bartlett Lake
Ride to Tortilla Flats
Ride to Cave Creek
Ride to Black Canyon City
Thank you!
Any specific destinations within the cities, or any roads to take/avoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Oak Creek Canyon out of Sedona
Thanks!
It is a bit up north. I'd like to explore around Phoenix first but Sedona is definitely on my radar.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:27 AM

7,177 posts, read 9,228,608 times
Ride to any of the surrounding lakes. Circumnavigate the White Tanks. If you're comfortable on gravel, circumnavigate the Sierra Estrellas. The Bush Highway. The Beeline Highway. Wickenburg's not too far from Sun City West.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Ride to any of the surrounding lakes. Circumnavigate the White Tanks. If you're comfortable on gravel, circumnavigate the Sierra Estrellas. The Bush Highway. The Beeline Highway. Wickenburg's not too far from Sun City West.
Thank you!
I am OK on gravel but my Stelvio ain't as nimble as I'd like it. Yes, Wickenburg has been mentioned on my web search as well but going there seems like a straight (possibly boring) highway ride or am I wrong?

My main goal was finding destinations that are away from traffic and either the destination or the ride offered beautiful scenery and not too far from where I currently reside. Once I get to know the area better then I will venture out further.

I also took a ride on Saturday riding around town, and it got a little too hot for both of us. I guess I am still adjusting to the climate, the mid 90s was still a bit much. I am hoping this year is a bit freaky because November and 90s? Geez!

Old 11-06-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Thank you!
Any specific destinations within the cities, or any roads to take/avoid?

To go to Prescott the back way, take the 60, to Wickenburg, then the bypass to 93 (you don't have to go through Wickenburg anymore which is great. It's boring) then from the 93 you'll see signs to 89 to Congress. Then just follow the 89 to Prescott. We loved that run. If you're tired, you can take the I-17 to the Loop 303 home, but then you're with a lot of traffic. We did that a couple of times, but didn't like it. People are dangerous in their vehicles!

Be prepared for weather. One time we had everything...sun, rain, snow and hail. It was still fun!
Going into Prescott on the 89 is beautiful. Whiskey row is the main drag when you come in on 89. The Palace is touristy, but worth a look. Have a drink from the historic bar, food used to be pretty good. Gurley street grill is pretty good or it used to be. Lots to choose from. We always parked our bike across from the courthouse. Plenty of parking during the week. Then you can walk around.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:44 AM

Another quickie ride would be up to Estrella Mountain Ranch. Easy ride, have lunch up there (maybe Lakeside Grill) and take the road out of it on Elliot road to Tuthill which turns into Jackrabbit trail. It's something to do, and isn't a long ride.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
To go to Prescott the back way, take the 60, to Wickenburg, then the bypass to 93 (you don't have to go through Wickenburg anymore which is great. It's boring) then from the 93 you'll see signs to 89 to Congress. Then just follow the 89 to Prescott. We loved that run. If you're tired, you can take the I-17 to the Loop 303 home, but then you're with a lot of traffic. We did that a couple of times, but didn't like it. People are dangerous in their vehicles!

Be prepared for weather. One time we had everything...sun, rain, snow and hail. It was still fun!
Going into Prescott on the 89 is beautiful. Whiskey row is the main drag when you come in on 89. The Palace is touristy, but worth a look. Have a drink from the historic bar, food used to be pretty good. Gurley street grill is pretty good or it used to be. Lots to choose from. We always parked our bike across from the courthouse. Plenty of parking during the week. Then you can walk around.
Funny, this route was mentioned on a web site as well. I believe the destination was Jerome via 89A.
I actually have a sibling living in Prescott Valley and I visited them on mc back in 2008. Of course coming from Central North Phoenix (Thunderbird & 51 frwy) where I was renting at the time, I took I-17 to 69.
17 was a tad crazy even back then so I can only imagine how it might be now. The back way you mentioned was actually the way I was going back to CA when I used to live there and was visiting family in PV.
I remember doing a brief speeding on the seemingly isolated 71 highway pushing around 140MPH in my Silverado when I passed a station wagon going the opposite direction at probably 65MPH.
I had a split second look and their facial impression kinda clued me in on how unexpected that might have been to that poor family.
I must have taken that route back to CA at least a half a dozen times and never seen another car on that short stretch of the road which is why I went for it. Oh well...

89 into Prescott was actually cool and reminded me of riding on 150 around Ojai.
It is cooler in Prescott/PV than it is in Phoenix but right now, it should still be relatively nice up there during the day.

Quote:
Another quickie ride would be up to Estrella Mountain Ranch. Easy ride, have lunch up there (maybe Lakeside Grill) and take the road out of it on Elliot road to Tuthill which turns into Jackrabbit trail. It's something to do, and isn't a long ride.
Satellite images didn't look too exciting but when it gets a little cooler I might explore that area.

I have heard of Bartlett Reservoir mentioned elsewhere via Bartlett Dam Rd if I am not mistaken.
That sounded like a cool ride and is on the top of my list.

I appreciate the suggestions! I am making a list as I check each location on Google Maps!

Old 11-07-2023, 08:12 AM

Oh yeah, continuing on to Jerome is very cool. Personally I would find a place to stay up there, either in Prescott or Jerome so you don't have to rush the day.

Estrella is just a place to go once and that's it-haha. There really isn't anything there. It's an easy ride and something to do when you just want to take a quick ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area