Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 11:51 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I also took a ride on Saturday riding around town, and it got a little too hot for both of us. I guess I am still adjusting to the climate, the mid 90s was still a bit much. I am hoping this year is a bit freaky because November and 90s? Geez!
Nope...not that odd. And please be careful around town. I don't think we have gone a day the past couple months without a motorcycle fatality in the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 06:30 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Oh yeah, continuing on to Jerome is very cool. Personally I would find a place to stay up there, either in Prescott or Jerome so you don't have to rush the day.

Estrella is just a place to go once and that's it-haha. There really isn't anything there. It's an easy ride and something to do when you just want to take a quick ride.
Oh, I see. Yeah, no matter where I go, even if it was like an hour, I'd like to stop, drink some water, then water the plants, etc.
I am used to riding to a coffee shop or some other spot where riders, at least people hang out so I can grab shot of espresso, use the facilities, chill for a little while before riding back.

It has been a long while since I road somewhere out in the boons but that is the type of rides I do enjoy as well. Out here, I don't have to ride for couple of hours just to get out of the crowded traffic like I had to in So Cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Nope...not that odd. And please be careful around town. I don't think we have gone a day the past couple months without a motorcycle fatality in the news.
Yeah, I am not the most cautious rider but thank you for the heads up. I have noticed that even back when I move here for the first time. I used to think helmetless riding had a good role in the fatalities.

I did also notice the drivers out here have very awful timing like they have poor judgment in guessing what is too close based on the oncoming vehicle's speed. It is like they wait till the last possible second to spring in front of you instead of actually aiming for the lane that doesn't have a vehicle approaching.

High rate of motorcycle fatalities seemed a bit shocking since the drivers, at least where I currently live, seem to be slow and also less aggressive/more courteous than the ones in CA.

I am guessing the accidents are likely to be happening at intersections where left turn is a "yield". If they made that "left turn on green arrow only", it'd probably make the left turn based traffic less fluid but likely to minimize the fatalities.
Am I wrong?

PS. The unpredictability of the AZ drivers is the reason why I want to go away from the city, away from the cars when riding.
I have lived in metro areas in CA with a ton of aggressive drivers where I was also very "daring" but I, honestly, am more nervous riding around Phoenix.
It is almost like the existence of motorcycles on roads hasn't quite fully registered with all drivers here.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:05 PM

682 posts, read 718,200 times
I know you said on the west side, but if you are up for the drive and want to go east....try the salt river canyon. Take 60 to Globe and head toward show low. Salt river canyon is along the way, between globe and show low. Might be too far but its a pretty ride and popular with motorcycle rides.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:48 AM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I know you said on the west side, but if you are up for the drive and want to go east....try the salt river canyon. Take 60 to Globe and head toward show low. Salt river canyon is along the way, between globe and show low. Might be too far but its a pretty ride and popular with motorcycle rides.
Thank you very much. Sounds like a good ride. I may initially ride around my part of town but this is definitely a welcome suggestion much like all the other ones (for future)!

Most interesting rides seem to be further North or East. I will eventually make my way around!

Cheers!

Old 11-10-2023, 11:53 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,417,441 times
Donor Cycle...

Old 11-13-2023, 07:55 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Yeah, I am not the most cautious rider but thank you for the heads up. I have noticed that even back when I move here for the first time. I used to think helmetless riding had a good role in the fatalities.

I did also notice the drivers out here have very awful timing like they have poor judgment in guessing what is too close based on the oncoming vehicle's speed. It is like they wait till the last possible second to spring in front of you instead of actually aiming for the lane that doesn't have a vehicle approaching.

High rate of motorcycle fatalities seemed a bit shocking since the drivers, at least where I currently live, seem to be slow and also less aggressive/more courteous than the ones in CA.

I am guessing the accidents are likely to be happening at intersections where left turn is a "yield". If they made that "left turn on green arrow only", it'd probably make the left turn based traffic less fluid but likely to minimize the fatalities.
Am I wrong?

PS. The unpredictability of the AZ drivers is the reason why I want to go away from the city, away from the cars when riding.
I have lived in metro areas in CA with a ton of aggressive drivers where I was also very "daring" but I, honestly, am more nervous riding around Phoenix.
It is almost like the existence of motorcycles on roads hasn't quite fully registered with all drivers here.
It is more the distracted driving and complete disregard for hands free phone laws in general. I mean, people can't even figure out which side of the freeway they are supposed to be on. People move here and (for the most part) act like they are on permanent vacation and that laws don't apply to them. I used to ride in town years ago but after 4 accidents (luckily none of them physically serious) I stopped riding in town. None of those accidents were my fault either, 3 from people turning left in front of me and one from someone entering the roadway to my right...and I was very defensive in town. Gets even worse when the Snowbirds are back in town cause not only can't they see you, they can't hear you and have REALLY bad reaction speeds.

Head on a swivel and expect every cager out there is looking to smear you on the roadway.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:34 AM

144 posts, read 146,497 times
Not in the Phoenix area~however.
I used to live at the base of the mountain on 89A in Prescott Valley, AZ.
The ride from the backside of PV over the mountain through Jerome to the Cottonwood/Sedona area was favored by many.
I was just lucky enough to live right there but many riders avoided the heat of the lower valley and rode up to cool off at the higher elevations. It can be 15-20° cooler at 5000' elevation than it is in Phoenix on a hot day.
But be warned, many have lost their lives on that mountain on bikes and in cars. Used to read about them in the local news there all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area