Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2024, 04:14 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,879 times

Advertisements

Even a wealthy neighbor of mine is complaining about prices.

How much are Arizonans spending on groceries? Hint: It's more than the national average

Phoenix was number 13 in the most expensive cities for groceries, with the average household spending about $260 per week.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...s/72394339007/
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 04:36 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
More and more stores are being swept up into monopolies. Competition is disappearing as fast as prices are rising. Luckys- gone. Smitty's - gone. Smiths - gone. Alpha-Beta -gone. MegaFoods - gone. Bashas - gone. Frys - gone (don't let the name fool you). Stores closed all over the metro. Wait till Kroger takes over Safeway and Albertsons.

Old 02-04-2024, 05:26 PM

6,098 posts, read 2,719,048 times
I weep every time I go to the grocery store as to what kinda damage will be done to my wallet lol. I easily spend over $100 on groceries for a two person household I'd hate to think what a family spends sheesh.

Wally is still a bargain compared to Safeway Target and Fry's.

Old 02-04-2024, 05:51 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Eat less? It would do the average American good and help to combat obesity in our country.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:29 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
How much are Arizonans spending on groceries? Hint: It's more than the national average[/b]
Phoenix was number 13 in the most expensive cities for groceries, with the average household spending about $260 per week.
When I travel, personal experience told me your USA Today ranking is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off! Here you go https://www.zippia.com/advice/averag...ries-by-state/ AZ is ranked #41 (one of the lowest). That agrees with my anecdotal evidence.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:40 PM

8,303 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
When I travel, personal experience told me your USA Today ranking is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off! Here you go https://www.zippia.com/advice/averag...ries-by-state/ AZ is ranked #41 (one of the lowest). That agrees with my anecdotal evidence.
I don't think that list is that accurate either. Unless there has been a significant change in the last few months, I assure grocery shopping in So Cal was cheaper than AZ. At Fry's all we see is "Grown in AZ" signs all over but prices make us scratch our heads. How could some of the veggies and fruits that are locally grown can be sold for noticeably more than what they were selling for in So Cal?

One thing you have to keep in mind, if you are shopping at chain supermarkets, they are hardly a bargain on most stuff but especially when it comes to green groceries, most smart people in So Cal shop at foreign markets whether Asian or Middle Eastern because they are much cheaper.

Also, most restaurants and food joints are the same price or more than the comparable options in So Cal and the rent over there is twice as much!
So, what gives?

Old 02-05-2024, 05:25 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I don't think that list is that accurate either. Unless there has been a significant change in the last few months, I assure grocery shopping in So Cal was cheaper than AZ. At Fry's all we see is "Grown in AZ" signs all over but prices make us scratch our heads. How could some of the veggies and fruits that are locally grown can be sold for noticeably more than what they were selling for in So Cal?

One thing you have to keep in mind, if you are shopping at chain supermarkets, they are hardly a bargain on most stuff but especially when it comes to green groceries, most smart people in So Cal shop at foreign markets whether Asian or Middle Eastern because they are much cheaper.

Also, most restaurants and food joints are the same price or more than the comparable options in So Cal and the rent over there is twice as much!
So, what gives?
True (in bold ^^)!

Go shop here in Southern, CA https://www.ralphs.com/stores/grocery/ca (Kroger chain), and let me know how cheap it is. I was at their Pacific Palisades location over Christmas. Arguably, it is 2x more on several items. You have to close your eyes when you put items into your cart. Extortion!

Benchmark the prices at Costco (Southern CA to AZ). I have. It's more in Southern, CA. Why wouldn't it be? Land is higher, labor is higher, taxes are higher, etc.

Most often, I buy my grocery items from Costco. And fill in from Fry's. When on sale, I will stock up on the staple items and lost leaders. Now, when I go to MN for the summer, I need to shop at Aldi's to get my fill-in items. Cub Foods (the massive chain) is often highway robbery!

Old 02-05-2024, 06:00 AM

180 posts, read 132,107 times
"Save money, live better" Walmart.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:46 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I agree. Whenever I go back to Michigan, the wife and I are always commenting on how much more expensive groceries are. We stayed a week in North Carolina recently and had the same experience.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:07 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
More and more stores are being swept up into monopolies. Competition is disappearing as fast as prices are rising. Luckys- gone. Smitty's - gone. Smiths - gone. Alpha-Beta -gone. MegaFoods - gone. Bashas - gone. Frys - gone (don't let the name fool you). Stores closed all over the metro. Wait till Kroger takes over Safeway and Albertsons.
Well, don't "wait" until Kroger takes over - the FTC usually has a period for citizen comments, and the current had is against monopolies.

Wasn't there also a market named Avco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Eat less? It would do the average American good and help to combat obesity in our country.
That's true, but doesn't justify corporate greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area