Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 20,605 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to get some opinions on Phoenix. I'm currently living in Austin and I've only been here for about a year. I'm thinking about moving to Arizona since I have some family and friends there.

Since I have never been to Arizona I'm wondering if I'm going to like it. Has anyone been to both Austin and Arizona? I would like to hear some opinions on which is nicer for a young family. Which has nicer weather overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 14,624 times
Not to scare you or anything, but I lived in a decent part of Phoenix, weekly I would hear gunshots consistly, and in the summertime it is common to sleep with your windows open, and if your a paranoid person well I wouldnt recommend it, but here guns are legal, now they do have a ordinance of no firing within city limits, but do people follow this? I dont think so just add a couple of beers. I moved away from Phoenix just because with any large city comes crime.

p.s. the thing I forgot to mention was that nothing ever happen to us, and we never had a bad expierence.

dj

Last edited by djauto; 06-07-2008 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-07-2008, 12:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Don't get scared off by the last person. A "decent" area with weekly gunshots is probably not where I would live. And if there were gun shots heard, I would NOT call it a decent place to live. I've lived in my whole life and I may have heard one shot (if that's what it was even) and it was when I lived more in a central area of phx. If you live in a GOOD to GREAT area you won't hear them.

And, who sleeps with their windows open in the summer? I'd say in the spring/fall. The summer is too hot.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Dang, I'm dying to move back home to Texas. Stay in the hill country!!!!!!!!

Phoenix is fine. There are pros and cons. I'm not one of those haters but to be honest, it does seem like crime is more rampant here than Austin. If that doesn't bother you, then it's no big deal. Of course, there are good and bad areas, too so I'm just generalizing.

IMO, you just can't bean austin. I love it there!! I'm a native Houstonian myself but have always enjoyed visiting Austin.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
We just moved to Austin from Phoenix, and we don't plan to move back... ever. I do miss so many things about Arizona, but Austin is home. I don't miss the crime, the lack of culture, and the oven heat. There's a lot more to do here outdoors and with children... A LOT more. The schools are better here, but the charter school options are better in Phx. No matter what the little online stats tell you, it is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE to live in Phoenix! Our grocery bill instantly went up, the property taxes here our outrageous, and right now you can get a stinkin' steal on a home in Phoenix. We lived in Surprise last time, and I didn't feel scared of violence. It's a safe city, but quite a drive if you commute to some areas of Phoenix and anywhere in the east valley. hth.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Doesn't Austin have alot going for it for younger people? I've heard people say the music there is phenomenal.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 17,057 times
I just moved to Phoenix from Austin. There's no way it's less expensive in Phoenix. Houses are more expensive by quite a bit still. Property taxes are higher in Austin but no state tax.

I chose to come back to Phoenix because I'm from here and I've got family here and because it's closer to the mountains. But not because it's cheaper by any means.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:35 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
Well, I own houses in both cities, and you pay less to get a newer home in the Phoenix area than in Austin right now. Phoenix sellers will do anything to get out, while Austin sellers expect a good return on their investment still. Our house in AZ is nicer than the one we live in now and it would sell for less than what we paid here.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djauto View Post
Not to scare you or anything, but I lived in a decent part of Phoenix, weekly I would hear gunshots consistly, and in the summertime it is common to sleep with your windows open, and if your a paranoid person well I wouldnt recommend it, but here guns are legal, now they do have a ordinance of no firing within city limits, but do people follow this? I dont think so just add a couple of beers. I moved away from Phoenix just because with any large city comes crime.

p.s. the thing I forgot to mention was that nothing ever happen to us, and we never had a bad expierence.

dj
i would just go ahead and ignore this - i don't think you'll find guns to be more "legal" here than in TX

i also don't know many people who open thier windows from june through september - it's hot out there

there were issues with celebratory gunfire in some part of the city, but they actually setup a really neat high tech way to monitor exact location of any gunshot blast so it's died down a bit - personally the only gun shots i've heard in AZ were at the range

if you have friends and family come out and visit - stay a week in august and ask your friends if it's typical weather (will probably be)

i've never lived in austin, but always enjoy it when I visit - i also enjoy it out here - austin has a much better music scene and is much smaller

i wouldn't say phoenix lacks culture though - we have many really good options with theater, art & music - but culture is one of those words that means different things to different folks

Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Boy View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Arizona since I have some family and friends there. Since I have never been to Arizona I'm wondering if I'm going to like it.
Have you thought about coming for a visit? Might be a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area