Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am working from home today and spending time watching the news, and the skies. Its really cloudy out with huge dark clouds. Does it usually start happening this early? I moved here late last August/early September so I haven't lived or been in Arizona for a whole summer.

And its only 99 degrees after 1:19 p.m. Supposed to be 104 today...we shall see what it actually reaches today.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-26-2008 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
The monsoon usually doesn't start here until around the middle part of July ... but on occasion there will be some early hints in the form of cloud buildups & isolated thunderstorms in June & early July. However, those early monsoon type of storms often don't produce much in the way of rainfall. On average, May, June, and early July is the driest time of year in Phoenix.

Also, keep in mind that monsoon doesn't mean a rainy season or a single storm. It's simply a wind reversal. In our case, the prevailing winds shift from a westerly flow to an easterly or southeasterly flow during July, August, and the first part of September ... which allows more moisture from Mexico to come into Arizona. That's why it feels more humid, and why there are more thunderstorms during the monsoon.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:06 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
It looks like the Tucson area is getting hit pretty hard with some rain right now. Their monsoon season starts earlier then Phoenix's normally, which is why they made June 15th the official start of the monsoon season.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
I'm guessing the new "official" monsooon dates (June 15th through September 30th) apply to the entire Southwest ... not just Phoenix or Arizona. Parts of New Mexico see thunderstorm activity as early as the middle part of June. However, it's pretty ridiculous to have Phoenix's monsoon arrival be June 15th when the season itself has never started that early. Only a small handful of monsoons have started in June, and the early start dates were usually shortly after some excessive high temperatures (as in 1990).

I'm hoping this upcoming monsoon will be more active than last year as far as rainfall. I don't care for the high winds or dangerous lightning that accompany the storms ... but I realize that comes with the package. I like to go to the White Mountains in late July or August when the monsoon is at its peak. It's absolutely beautiful up there with the rain cooled air & the green scenery.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
It looks like the Tucson area is getting hit pretty hard with some rain right now. Their monsoon season starts earlier then Phoenix's normally, which is why they made June 15th the official start of the monsoon season.
No kiddin'! It's not even July yet! It seems to start earlier and earlier every year. I remember last year I made a 4th of July pool party and it started raining two days later. Guess whoever "makes" the weather at least had the decency to announce it on time, too... Oh, yeah, before somebody thinks I'm out of my mind, I do believe in weather control and manipulation.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Yeah, we got nailed several times at my house. Woohoo!! I work from home so that's been the excitement of my day.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Is it here or is this just that storm going threw the west. I can't get anything about it on the news. I can't tell which way the wind is blowing. Anyone hear anything about it?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,324 times
I think its here. Out here in AZ city, we had two blow through yesterday, and two today. Today it brought hail. Was a nice breeze. Yesterday had some scary lightning that was too close for comfort. Hope we get tomorrows rain too

Ama

Old 06-27-2008, 01:47 PM

133 posts, read 376,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No kiddin'! It's not even July yet!

Oh, yeah, before somebody thinks I'm out of my mind, I do believe in weather control and manipulation.
Me, too! Did you see how the Flood Control District of Maricopa County started advertising all over the place in Google this spring? And how the Weather Service changed the way they "predict" the monsoons? My advice to everybody is BUY FLOOD INSURANCE! It is cheap and necessary in a flash flood prone area like Maricopa County. Ask anybody in Scottsdale near the washes!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertMom View Post
Me, too! Did you see how the Flood Control District of Maricopa County started advertising all over the place in Google this spring? And how the Weather Service changed the way they "predict" the monsoons? My advice to everybody is BUY FLOOD INSURANCE! It is cheap and necessary in a flash flood prone area like Maricopa County. Ask anybody in Scottsdale near the washes!
FEMA is trying to change the flood maps in Tucson, too. Marana is fighting it as we speak, but take a wild guess who's gonna win...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area