Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 PM

12 posts, read 57,207 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!!

I was just wondering if anyone knows some nice vegetarian restaurants--or places you can buy healthy meals--in Tempe.

Moreover, I was wondering about buying veggie products, especially Morningstar Farms, in the supermarkets there. For example, does Safeway, or other markets, carry such products? I have never been in one, so I'm not familiar with this chain.

Healthy places around ASU will be helpful too. I've been looking on line, but I could always use a persoanl touch !

Best wishes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 02:36 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Pita Jungle is the place to be in Tempe.

Yes, Safeway does carry this brand and others. Every grocery store carries veggie foods some more than others though (I'm also a vegetarian). I think the best selection I have seen was at Whole Food's, however, they have got to the most pricey of all stores.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:50 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Pita Jungle -- as mentioned above
Blue Nile Cafe (Ethiopian)
Cafe LaLibela (Ehtiopian)
Udupi (south Indian) -- 100% vegetarian menu
Priya (south Indian)
Pasand (south Indian)
Delhi Palace (north Indian)
In Season Deli
Center Bistro (closed for summer -- may reopen after Labor Day)
Cornish Pasty Company
Haji-Baba (Middle Eastern)
Phoenicia (Middle Eastern)

Google any of these along with the word "Tempe," and you should be able to find more information and reviews.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:43 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Try Sprouts and there is one in Tempe on University between Rural and Kyrene. I forgot the name, does anyone now it. Is it the co-op?

Old 07-05-2008, 04:48 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Try Sprouts and there is one in Tempe on University between Rural and Kyrene. I forgot the name, does anyone now it. Is it the co-op?
Kyrene doesn't exist as far north as University, so there isn't any place with that location. Maybe you're thinking of Gentle Strength, which was on University just west of Mill for many years but then moved to southern Tempe and finally went out of business.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Kyrene doesn't exist as far north as University, so there isn't any place with that location. Maybe you're thinking of Gentle Strength, which was on University just west of Mill for many years but then moved to southern Tempe and finally went out of business.
Oh, I was silverbear. God I am getting on in years. lol I remember hanging out there when I was in my 20's. They had some great stuff in that store and I loved the deli! Well, don't no anymore my self but I think there is enough on here for one to find what they need! I might check a couple of them out myself!

Old 07-05-2008, 10:37 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,095 times
Sprouts, Sunflower and Fresh & Easy markets seem to cater to the organic crowd. They do sell meat as well, but lots of other choices as well. And while not technically in Tempe, check out Lee Lee market in Chandler and Ranch 99 in E. Phx (near the airport) - they both have great Asian veggies, tofu, noodles, etc.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:08 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Priya (south Indian)
Pasand (south Indian)
In Season Deli
Cornish Pasty Company

Google any of these along with the word "Tempe," and you should be able to find more information and reviews.
Good list. A few months back I tried the Blue Nile. The food was tasty and the establishment was unique. Our server was Egyptian and fun to talk to. If you go here try their orange cake for dessert. I was truly amazed at how delicious it was...and it was vegan. The topping tasted like a "non-artificial" version of cool whip, and made of soy I think. I'm a cook and I was quite surprised at how good that dessert was. Ymmmmmm.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:15 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Priya (south Indian)
Pasand (south Indian)
In Season Deli
Cornish Pasty Company

Good list. A few months back I tried the Blue Nile. The food was tasty and the establishment was unique. Our server was Egyptian and fun to talk to. If you go here try their orange cake for dessert. I was truly amazed at how delicious it was...and it was vegan. The topping tasted like a "non-artificial" version of cool whip, and made of soy I think. I'm a cook and I was quite surprised at how good that dessert was. Ymmmmmm.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:38 AM

12 posts, read 57,207 times
Wow! Thanks for all the great advice! When I took a trip out to Tempe, I noticed the obesity problem was far less than in other states! I figured there would be plenty of places. I'm glad I'm not going to U of Wisconsin!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area