Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:26 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2PHX View Post
I am currently a graduate student living in Orange County. While visiting my retired parents in Phoenix, I met a girl in Scottsdale and tried doing the long distance thing for 5 months. Unfortunately, it did not work out. However while dating her, I did learn that the 113 degree heat is not too bad, the Scottsdale area is very nice, and I can afford a nice house (not condo) there. I have also learned that the woman in PHX look to be more genuine and simpler than OC woman (I could be wrong though). In addition, I have become so burned out on So Cal. So I have decided to move there after graduation in December.

While I have my eye on Scottsdale, I was wondering if there are any other areas that a single, 30 year old professional should also consider. I am getting great potential job offers from both Tempe and Scottsdale. I would like to rent an apartment at first ($850 for a one bedroom) and buy a house after 6 months ($350k). My realtor has shown me places in Grey Hawk, N Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and Cave Creek. I hear alot about Gilbert. Should I look there too?

I am also planning on making up for the time I lost while studying and working full time the past 2.5 years. I like good eats, cool bars, and golf. I would like wherever I live to be close to these places or a cheap cab ride home.
You've gotten some good advice so far. You will probably have to pay more than $850 for a nice 1-br apt. Look in Old Town Scottsdale area if you want to be around a lot of restaurants, clubs, shopping, etc. Stay east of Scottsdale Road and around or N. of Indian School. There are nice apts around there, lots of younger professionals. Also look at the Biltmore area around Camelback and 24th Street and east. Lots of nightlife, good restaurants, etc. Again, $850 would be low balling it. I'm thinking a nice place is going to be around $1,000. But, who knows? Maybe you can sublet a condo with a 6 month or 1 year lease and get a good deal from a desperate owner. There are unfortunately a lot of those in town.

Did you actually check out the houses in Grey Hawk, N. Scottsdale, Paradise Valley and Cave Creek? And were they really around $350? I, like others are kind of surprised at that...we don't want to be negative, but the decent parts of those areas tend to be more than that. Like someone else said cross Paradise Valley off the list. The Paradise Valley "area" (adjacent to PV) is large and spotty...be careful.

I would just forget looking at real estate until you find a nice apt and get settled. Meet some people and find out where they live and take your time investigating the entire metro area. Some of the burbs are very family-centric, and not really for most singles, so keep that in mind. The market is very soft and you will get a DEAL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 PM

219 posts, read 779,258 times
While extremely upscale, I didn't think Paradise Valley was out of this world, certainly not for the costs. I happened to be much more impressed with Fountain Hills, which had a very different look and was truly unique and absolutely gorgeous.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM

26 posts, read 87,980 times
Gilbert may not be the area of choice if you are looking for night life. Gilbert is more of a family town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area