Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,228 times

Advertisements

What would it cost for license plate on a 2006 Nissan Altima?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:46 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeAnneR View Post
What would it cost for license plate on a 2006 Nissan Altima?
From the MVD website:

It varies depending on the vehicle. There is a $4.00 title fee; an $8.00 registration fee; plus an air quality research fee of $1.50; and a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. There may also be a weight fee and commercial registration fee, if the vehicle is registered as commercial. The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value. For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06.

As was indicated upthread, if you itemize deductions on your taxes, the VLT portion is deductible as a personal property tax.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:21 AM

82 posts, read 210,450 times
Many states calculate license plate costs based on weight of the car. In Arizona it is based on value of the car, which is why it's a lot more expensive here.

Another good reason to register your car here is that if you are looking for a job, it is an advantage. Employers figure you're less likely to change your mind and flee if you've already registered.

You might want to check out:
Transplants To Phoenix Examiner: Be prepared

Susan

Old 05-22-2009, 09:32 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2AZSusan View Post
Another good reason to register your car here is that if you are looking for a job, it is an advantage. Employers figure you're less likely to change your mind and flee if you've already registered.
WTF? Can't remember a prospective employer ever asking me where my car was resgistered. Just because I don't want to leave AZ doesn't mean I wouldn't quit a bad job here after one day.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:59 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
likewise - i don't even know how your registration status would even come up until after the point of hire unless you were getting employed as a driver

what you do need to watch for though is the very steep fine for living here and not registering

Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 AM

I lived her a while without changing residency. No gestapo neighbors denounced me. I've been a resident for a year now, but still have never been pulled over.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:09 AM

it can happen though and I would definitely call in someone who parked next to me in the parking garage for a month - if you're making a living here, enjoying the benefits of being here, pay in ...... and with the budget the way it is, no question

have everyone pay their share before the gov't comes in to double dip on me

I also have a buddy who works for the state and part of his job is checking into those things as well as checking to make sure registrations are current - usually warnings go out at first

with most things I think you should register because it's the right thing to do ..... if doing the right thing isn't enough motivation, then you need to gamble (although the odds are small) that you can get popped for a fine

Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
it can happen though and I would definitely call in someone who parked next to me in the parking garage for a month - if you're making a living here, enjoying the benefits of being here, pay in ...... and with the budget the way it is, no question
Looks like another person who, as a kid, always reminded the substitute teacher that she had forgotten to assign homework. I read about folks like you on the Internet, but I sure am glad I haven't met any since moving here.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

have everyone pay their share before the gov't comes in to double dip on me

I also have a buddy who works for the state and part of his job is checking into those things as well as checking to make sure registrations are current - usually warnings go out at first

with most things I think you should register because it's the right thing to do ..... if doing the right thing isn't enough motivation, then you need to gamble (although the odds are small) that you can get popped for a fine
The police used to cruise business parking lots looking for out of state plates. I've heard of neighbors turning people in. The fact is, if you are living here and using our roads, you SHOULD pay the registration.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Looks like another person who, as a kid, always reminded the substitute teacher that she had forgotten to assign homework. I read about folks like you on the Internet, but I sure am glad I haven't met any since moving here.
yeah - that's an honest comparison...........

how dare I want people to pay their fair share for services - what an outrage - especially when facing a $2B budget deficit

i know, i'm a real jerk like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area